icy slides

I’ve just been out hurting myself on a patch of ice and I found some new tricks which are quite fun although still at the 90% just falling off stage. These are mostly pretty easy to do in mud, but much more fun on ice cos you can get a decent slide out of it.

1. Kick slide
    easy, just stillstand the unicycle on a grippy bit of ground at the edge of some ice and then pedal kick forwards, you’ll go for a very short slide and then slow down at which point it’s a good idea to start pedalling smoothly and try to ride out.

2. Rolling slide
    a bit harder, ride up at the ice and then stop the pedals like you’re going to do a rolling hop, you can get big slides out of this, although it hurts lots more when you fall. Again make sure to start pedalling smoothly when you want to ride it out otherwise the unicycle will go byebyes surprisingly quickly

3. Power slide
    Third one is I’m sure possible but jolly hard to ride out of, ride up to the ice fast and do a rolling hop. Whilst in the air, twist 90 degrees so you land side on to your direction of travel. I haven’t managed to ride out of this yet, but to get out you’ve got to either do another 90 degree turn and ride out as before or ride it till it goes slow, or hop out. Riding it till it slows down is a really good way to achieve comedy falls in all possible directions, but I think probably turning out of it will be the best way.

I also found some ice on a slight slope which was mucho interesting although hurt lots when I came off. Definately just keep going and hope stuff, I don’t think I could have ridden up it at all.

Snow is melting in the sun now and making big puddles, hopefully there’ll be lots of ice by tomorrow!

Joe

I slipped on the muni twice the other day when it snowed; that hurt. It does leave an impressive looking track, though.

You, sir, are mad! Keep it up… :slight_smile:

Phil, just me

Re: icy slides

> I’ve just been out hurting myself on a patch of ice and I found some new

Joe, you are totally barking. :slight_smile:

joemarshall wrote:

> Snow is melting in the sun now and making big puddles, hopefully
> there’ll be lots of ice by tomorrow!

I find it easier to ride on the icy ground than the snowy ground as long
as the temperature is nice cold and the air is dry. My tire seems to
‘stick’ better under these conditions than in snow. Also, snow tends to
pack on to the tire, minimizing and sometimes eliminating traction
altogether. Has anyone else made this observation?

The other day while riding on the snow I mounted, did a hop or two, re
seated myself in the saddle, pedaled a full rev but went ‘nowhere’ until
I fell face first in the hard packed snow. Ouch!

Cheers,

Jason

Jason writes:
>
>I find it easier to ride on the icy ground than the snowy ground as long
>as the temperature is nice cold and the air is dry. My tire seems to
>‘stick’ better under these conditions than in snow. Also, snow tends to
>pack on to the tire, minimizing and sometimes eliminating traction
>altogether. Has anyone else made this observation?
>
>The other day while riding on the snow I mounted, did a hop or two, re
>seated myself in the saddle, pedaled a full rev but went ‘nowhere’ until
>I fell face first in the hard packed snow. Ouch!
>
I have noticed the same issue. Worse yet for me was when I rode my Coker
on the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday. The bridge has wooden slats for most of
the bike/pedestrian path. These slats were totally icy and I fell off the
Coker twice before walking the rest of the way across (my 7 minute
crossing became 17 minutes and would have been longer had I not been able
to ride at least the concrete parts on either end).

But ice is only good to ride if it’s choppy (like if packed snow that has
been trodden on gets iced over). If it’s smooth, forget it. So ‘icy
ground’ is fine, but ice is impossible. Especially if it’s on a wooden
hill.

David

ice is possible if you sty going in a straight line and you dont lean, try to turn, or stop. And you also have to pedal at a constant rate. Up here in Canada, eh, there are lots of icy hills and I managed to go down a reasonably sloped, and reasonably icy hill (not that wussy rough ice either) and I didn’t even fall. I believe that ice is possible to uni on. It’s also a massive crowd pleaser. When anyone sees you going on stuff they can barely walk over, they love it.

^ 2 cents (Canadian)

Wow, that really is hardcore. Have you tried locking the wheel and stillstanding through a downhill slide, rather than pedalling? Now that would be truly something to see. Agree with you about rough ice by the way, rough ice is dull, the best bits here were on smooth paths where people had walked over a thin layer of snow and melted it and then it had refrozen. Shallow frozen puddles are great too.

I’ve been out for a look and most of the good puddles have gone away now so unless we get some more snow, there’ll be no more nice ice for me in London which is a pity. Wish it was a bit colder and more snowy here, we only get a couple of days snow a year.

btw alan, I’m not really that mad, the first two tricks are relatively sane and don’t usually involve hurting yourself. The third trick gave me a big bruise on my elbow and made me decide I shouldn’t try it anymore without wristguards, but must be possible. I only tried it because I’ve been practicing rolling hops with twists anyway and the obvious thing to do was to do it on ice whilst I had the chance to.

Come to Florida. We don’t know what ice is unless it’s followed by cold air conditioning.

it snowed in essex today and so I had a play on the ice and snow. I like the tricks - it’s just like having REALLY slippery mud, just more painfull.

Nevermind - the ice tyre is on the way :).

I’ve also noticed, you can do all manner of neat spins and stuff. they are great fun until you fall off. But don’t jump into too much snow. I’ve got so much rust on my uni now.

but it sure was fun!

Nice dancing Pom-Pom Homey!

Anyhow, the only attempt I’ve had at ice anything on a uni was about two months after I learned (or so). On my savage, on ice. Bad equation. All it needed was, “wouldn’t it be cool to slide on the ice and then keep going?” This actually goes along with the post about dumb things on a uni, but all I’ll say is that I’m lucky I didn’t get a concussion.

My only intentional rolling slide was not too pretty… almost bruised the tailbone. It was on a slight downhill ( enough to coast on, but not glide), and it was glare ice. You could see your reflection in it kind of ice. I also thought ice slides would be cool, so I got going about 5mph on my 20 incher, and when I hit the ice I locked my pedals and leaned back a little to compensate, at which point the uni shot out from under me and I did a nice 10 foot tailbone slide. I may try again this winter with padding.

• J. Alan Atherton
    “What the???” - Spectator of my gliding

yeah I did a fall like that too. I don’t lean back on ice anymore, just ride into it and stop the pedals, you don’t need to lean back anywhere near as much as it feels you should do.

I’m much better at just riding on the ice now, on the way home from hockey yesterday someone warned me that a bit of ice was particularly slippy having just fallen over on it (walking) and I just rode straight over it feeling rather smug!

Joe

Me and my friend went unicycling on a skating rink at a park tonight. It was awesome, but every time I tried to do a slide or something cool I’d fall flat on my ass. All I could do was ride forward very carefully and turn very very carefully. And I also learned that riding down stairs and other obstacles is a lot more fun in the snow. It doesnt hurt as much when you fall and the landings are more forgiving. :smiley: I also took some pictures of it which I might post soon.

-Mike

icy slides

Yeah, it’s always been a mystery to me how there can be a professional hockey team in Florida!

Sorta like a bobsled team in Jamaica…

“Gluteous man! Are you dead?”

:slight_smile:

Phil, just me