I went on a Bike Week Ride

It’s national bike week here in the UK with lots of organised guided bike rides throughout the country, different rides aimed at all sorts of abilities. So yesterday I thought it would be good fun to try one on a unicycle, I found a 20 mile ride in my area which was advertised as an easy paced ride suitable for begginers and children so I turned up with my 29ner with 125 cranks, the highest geared unicyle I own. It was a very pleasent ride combining cycle track, country lane and bridleway and I even managed to keep up although I did have to rev like a mad man at times, but on the up hills did manage to take the lead. Well worth having a go at if you can find a slow paced ride in your area, I turned up expecting to get left behind and that wouldn’t have mattered but to my surprise kept pace and I certainly surprised my fellow riders that day. A great day out, I’m thinking about perhaps trying an off road ride that has been organised for next week, again it wont matter if I’m left behind so I have nothing to loose. Just wondered if any one else goes on these types of rides to see if they can keep up with bicyclists.

Re: I went on a Bike Week Ride

MattPH wrote:
> It’s national bike week here in the UK with lots of organised guided
> bike rides throughout the country
<snip>
> Just wondered if any one else
> goes on these types of rides to see if they can keep up with bicyclists.

I always used to make a point of yiking to work on Bike to Work day (the
Wednesday in National Bike Week). I would usually pass a few
wheelwasters. This year I shall bike in as usual, though.

Three years ago Jamie Fletcher and I did Bristol’s Biggest Bike Ride on
our Cokers:
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/ridereports/bbbr02.html>

Keeping up with the bicyclists was not a challenge. Occasionally
getting past them on the narrow parts was a challenge. We chose the
13 mile ride (which meant a total distance of 29 miles by the time we’d
ridden to the start and ridden home again afterwards).

I shall be doing exactly the same ride on Sunday, but this time I shall
be on two wheels with the kids in the trailer. If anyone fancies yiking
it, there’s a choice of 5 rides this year:
<URL:http://tinyurl.com/bkeqy>
leads to:
<URL:http://www.bristol-city.gov.uk/Fuguri/frame.html?D+DMM01000+BG+F+CMM00104+DMM00808>

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

And you were spotted and noted by Elaine in the school office;-) I spoke to her yesterday and today about coming to look at the old hall after the exams have finished. That the only hall they will let SWUM hire, so we need to be realistic about the size!

Also- back on topic
Did any one else see the ITV westcountry news on Monday? A shot of cycle commuters arriving at an office building- bike, bike, bike, coker, bike.

SArah

where i work there is lots going on for bike week.

i ride to work everyday on my unicycle anyhow but this week for riding to work you get a free breakfast!!

everyday after work there are rides going on. nothing too serious but about 15miles. stopping at a pub at the end.

and at lunchtimes we are doing short rides/helping sustrans with trail building/maintainance.

so all is good here! :smiley:

I will be doing our local bike ride on Sunday, between Bewdley and Stourport, with my mate Si.

Hoping to get in the local paper, as they had an article advertising the ride last week, so one assumes they will be there to cover the ride/take pictures. The ride is about a total of 9 miles, so not too bad.

At the ‘start line’ [a car park in bewdley] Halfords will be there carrying out free safety checks for cyclists…I’m thinking I go over with my 24" and watch the puzzled looks on their faces!

Cumbria Muni And Trials Club did a trials demo for the manchester bike week, heres me making a gap outside the royal exchange theatre!