I learned to Glide

I can now glide… not straight from riding, but from riding, to one-foot
wheel-walking to gliding. The transition from 1 ft ww to gliding was sooo easy,
I was really amazed. I just went and tried it on a hill and was able to glide
in under half an hour!

I still can’t ww.

Dylan

Way to Dylan!

Gliding is a skill on my very long list of uni skills to develop. I think I can safely say (at this point) it’s near the bottom of that list. :wink:

Congrats!

Jason

Gliding

Good on ya Dylan.
I thought it was funny that Jason used the word safely to describe not learning Gliding yet. I can’t imagine high speed gliding being the safest of skills to learn. I am curious as to what would be the best type of Unicycle to learn gliding on. I have seen photo’s of people doing it on a regular looking 24" as well as Kris Holm doing it offroad on a Mountain Unicycle on Into the Thunder Dragon. I am also curious as to what speeds people have been recorded doing. I am a whimp and I have only tried wheel walking a couple of times unsuccessfully. Sounds like that is the way to start if you want to consider gliding.

i hate you all :smiley:

I’ve been trying to glide for months… i can go from 1ww to kinda gliding but…

Good job!

I learned last year. It really is fun, esspecialy when you get far with speed.

But, you must keep practicing. I didn’t do much gliding over the winter, and I must get the hang of it again. So don’t stop practing!

Thank you,
Ray Edward

Re: Gliding

I learnt on a cheapo unicycle, from unicycle.com, with a rounded frame. It was awfull! But then i got a Nimbus II with a Primo ‘The Wall’ tyre, and that was great! As well as that, I also have my Trials (20" x 2.5") and that, i find, i the best to glide on. I can do some really fast gliding down steep hills, and the tyre has loads of grip! Also, 'coz its a wide tyre, I find it much easier to balance on, and to turn corners, especialy when going fast!

I have a question though!.. Can anyone glide on a 26" Muni? I can WW it, but not glide. One problem is I have a rounded frame on it, so no were to put my foot.

Cheers,

Joe,

I am in the proccess of learning to WW, and I am getting much better. I can now do about 20m or so. I have tried 1ftww but only for a couple of seconds, by which time I was sat on the floor nursing a bruised coccyx! I would really like to be able to glide, my ultimate goal being to glide a coker!!!

I find WW a 26 fairly easy, but the knobbly tyre might make gliding it a bit difficult.

Re: I learned to Glide

“Rowan” <Rowan.nlh13@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Rowan.nlh13@timelimit.unicyclist.com
> I am curious as to what would be the best
> type of Unicycle to learn gliding on. I have seen photo’s of people
> doing it on a regular looking 24" as well as Kris Holm doing it offroad
> on a Mountain Unicycle on Into the Thunder Dragon.

1.Freestyle Uni with flat crown
2.Smooth tire, well inflated
3.Old pair of Vans or Converse
4.Practice

If there aren’t many videos out there of people showing glides, let me know.
I’ll try to slap something together.

Have fun,

David Winston

>I have a question though!.. Can anyone glide on a 26" Muni?

Ben Plotkin-Swing learned how to glide on his old pashley 26" MUni.

Dylan

>i hate you all :smiley:
>
>I’ve been trying to glide for months… i can go from 1ww to kinda
>gliding but…

Have you been trying on a hill? or flat ground? I practiced on flat ground for
a week and couldn’t get anywhere. I tried it on a hill and was able to do it in
no-time. Find a nice hill and just keep at it. Make sure your seat is pretty
high too…

Dylan

Hill eh? quite steep er…