I learned to free mount in less than 90 minutes and so can you

So I’ve been unicycling for only a couple months now and I was used to using a support object to get on my unicycle. I mostly wanted to practice riding around and turning since I thought it was so much fun. My only problem was whenever I UPDed I had to walk w/ my uni to the nearest support object. Let me tell you…DOES THAT SUCK!!! Ultimately, I just got fed up with wasting time and energy walking to a support object just to mount my unicycle, so one night when my parents were out to dinner I went to my back yard and started to practice static free mounting. In about 19 minutes I was able to make a successful free mount and ride forward a couple of feet (yes, I wanted to note exactly how fast it took me). The only way I was able to do this was by realizing why I was failing over and over. I observed how the unicycle was moving as I was attempting to mount it. I realized I was trying to step up and sit on the uni by pushing on the pedal closest to me causing the second pedal to rotate back toward me and either hit my shin (OUCH!) or I failed to put my foot on the second pedal. To stop the second pedal from rotating back, I stopped stepping on the closer pedal and started pushing off the ground with my second foot. I find it more mechanically advantageous to position the cranks and pedals in the 3 and 9 o’clock positions. Only keep your first foot resting on the closer pedal. I found it helpful to not only push off the ground enough to get on and keep the pedals from rotating backwards, but to push hard enough to give me a little forward momentum with the uni causing the pedals to start rotating a little bit forward. Within 45 minutes I was able to free mount and ride about 20-30 feet forward. Then I started trying this on asphalt. Now it just takes me practice executing it smoothly and I have to practice not crushing my nuts when I first get on. All it takes is concentration and awareness of what you’re doing in order to learn quicker. This ideology can be applied to almost anything.

Hm… Sounds like it could work.
I learned how to jump mount as my first freemount. Took me about five tries and under ten minutes to get it.
My little brother is now learning to freemount and after a few days of trying he got it (regular freemount).
Maybe I just caught on fast but I learned that jump mount the second day I had my first uni.

I like your explaination though. Good for those having trouble.

Excellent Description

Aquaman –
Thanks for this detailed description of your free mount discovery. I have been watching dozens of youtube clips of people mounting at 3 and 9 o’clock positions, but when I tried myself, I couldn’t figure out how they did it. I began to suspect that they were actually not putting pressure on the closest pedal, but feathering the pressure there and actually, as you say, springing up with the other leg. Can’t wait to try this one. Could it be that this is the basis of the technique for a rolling start too?

i know a kid (kinda tought him) who learned in 1/2 an hour to ride and free mount.
he could get it most of the time and ride for a long ways before falling

Known as a rollback mount.

Glad you finally worked out the static mount though. You should be able to just feather your foot on the pedal, and step right onto the other pedal and ride away.

In a small way.

Freemounting

that is a pretty good description of freemounting however a little bit was left out.

In order not to push down of the rear pedal you should have all of your wieght on the saddle. Even concentrate a little on pushing down on the saddle with your crotch. You should not hurt your Weavos doing this. A mistake is that poeple hop higher than the saddle and then land on thier weavos. You should think of it as pushing of with the foot that is on the ground and just rolling over on the saddle kind of like if it is an upside down pendullum. Remember you should start off with the saddle firmly pushed into your crotch and keep it that way for the whole movement. There is no need to hold onto the saddle. It is much easier if you keep both arms free for balance.

Unicorn

You’ve described what we call a “static mount.” That is, the wheel is not supposed to roll back while you get yourself up and over the top, with a little bit of forward lean to ride away. The “rollback mount” is a better learning tool (helps introduce you to idling and riding backwards) but it’s harder to learn. The common mistake is not pulling the top pedal back, and leaving yourself stuck in the 6 and 12 o’clock positions (dead spot).

Yes, basically the same thing, though for a true “rolling mount” the wheel should continue rolling forward the whole time. But for a non-strict rolling mount you can walk forward, stop the wheel by stepping onto the rear pedal, but keep your body moving forward as you go up and over, and riding away, all in one smooth, continuous motion.

The key to the static mount is to keep that rear pedal in the rear and not push it down or let it go up. Doesn’t matter where you put your weight, just takes practice to learn how to not change your knee’s angle once your foot is on that rear pedal. Just lock your leg in position until you’re up and over the balance point, then ride away.

Congrats on learning no matter how you did it!

tookm 30 minutes to get my first freemount down, and on the day I got my unicycle too. I just kept practicing over and over in the same spot until i got it.

I found that way of mounting a little harder. I didn’t learn it untill about 3 weeks after I learned how to freemount. It was kind of hard to stabalize yourself so the pedals dont fly back and hit you. Good tutorial though.

Mmm.

There are probably better ways to entertain your pets than that… :stuck_out_tongue:

I went about 6 months without free mounting

There was lots of things around to help me get up, and no other uni riders to make me feel lame LOL :slight_smile: Plus, I like a arrange my seat to max comfort.

I still can’t free mount my 36. On the 19 and 24 I use the “back pedal like idling”, thing.

This is a great forum. Reading about the different ways almost makes me feel like I understand them !:slight_smile:

I really liked Terry’s 36 vids, and as it get’s cooler here, I plan to get the “static” mount down good on the 24, then amour up and try the 36.

I have had almost no experience riding with other uni riders since I started last spring, yet I sorta feel experienced. Here I am writing about the static mount, yet I never do it.

You all are really great teachers:)

No effence but 90 mins is quite a long time I thik I learned to freemount (not consisantly) and ride about 20-30 meters in 20 mins or so. I taught my brother to ride also and he took about the same. I taught him the static mount, I told him it was easy and as it took me about 3 attempts I told him it shouldnt take him more than that and on the 3rd try he got it and he was away. My brother rides trials bikes and found hopping very easy. He found getting up a curb no problem and then we moved onto a bench that was a good foot or so high and he managed to make it first time, I was pretty amazed.

Perhaps…
but all wheels are not alike. Nor are all people.

It took me a long time to do the rollback on my 29. If I was offered a million dollars to learn to freemount a coker in one day I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to do it…

Not that anyone is offering me a million dollars.

The rollback though has been easier for me than the static. I think on the bigger wheel I just don’t feel comfortable popping up without weight on the foot. It is probably more a matter of what I was willing to practice with dedication.

For bigger wheels, I like doing the rolling mount.

Don’t get intimidated by the 36". I am 5’7" and weigh 225 lbs. and was very intimidated by the big wheel and thought that mounting it would be impossible. However, one day I just bit the bullet and tried a roll mount and to my surprise I was able to land a mount. I started with what I call a semi-roll mount… i put the pedal in the 9 o’clock position and pushed the unicycle and then jumped on the pedal. I mount with my right foot. Now that I got more confortable I put the pedal in the 12 'oclock position and push the unicycle and jump when the pedal hits the 6’oclock position. It’s easier than the previous mount I mentioned but takes more coordination…
Note: Now I think it’s easier to mount my 36" than my 26" because the wheel on the 36" holds my weight better.

Are all you guys that are saying you know people that learned faster than me trying to put me down cuz that’s what it seems like.

Sp4rky-m4rky, I never said 90 minutes. I said it took less than 90 minutes. Technically I learned in 30 minutes and I just kept practicing the same thing after that.

Thanks, Unibugg, for defending me and you’re right about different people taking longer to learn than others.

Munimutant, you are so welcome. I’m glad I could help you out.

For some reason static mounting came pretty easy for me, learned it in the first few tries. However, I have a hell of a time doing a roll-mount, and also riding backwards. I’ve only practiced it for a little bit today but I’m dissapointed in how long it’s taking me to get it.

Static Mount Vs Roll Back

The Roll Back mount has it’s advantages as a learning tool.
I have found it to be harder to learn and less practical than the static mount.
Keep in mind that I do mostly MUni and now have been getting into Trials. If you do freestyle then the Roll Back mount might be more practical to you.

With the Static mount less space is needed. When you are doing MUni and you have to mount on a rock or a small flat space in the trail or on a rough place where it is not easy to roll you had better have the Static mount down cold.

I have learned the Roll Back mount only after I learned how to ride backwards.
I taught myself the Roll Back mount and have not used it since. Evey once in a while I do it a few times just to make sure that I can but not for praclical purposes.

I have also learned to do the Static mount with my weak foot and I make a point of mounting weak foot quite a bit during skill building sessions but have never had a practical use for it.

In sumation if you are a MUni or Trials Rider then the Static mount is much more practical. It is usually considered easier for beginners to learn.

Unicorn