I hurt my foot!

Hi Everybody
I was anticipating posting something about how I’d gotten sick of getting nowhere on the coker and had decided to downsize to a 24. Now I have to post that I’ve done something to my foot and, on doctor’s orders, I’m off unicycling for the next few weeks. I can’t even ride properly yet and I’ve already hurt myself!

It all happened at the club on Thursday night. I had been practicing on the 24 and then switched to a friend’s 20. What can I say - I found the 24 MUCH EASIER than the coker, and the 20 MUCH EASIER than the 24. I finally felt that I was getting somewhere and then I had a fairly ballistic UPD. As my foot hit the floor I knew something was wrong, but the pain went away and I carried on riding. I went home, went to sleep, and was woken up by the pain returning to my foot and bringing friends along.

Putting my weight on the foot is fine, but any up and down or sideways movement is less than comfortable. After my drive to work in nice heavy city traffic I decided things were bad enough that a visit to the medical centre was in order. A few x-rays later and I know nothing is broken, it’s just a soft tissue injury, and I am now breezing along merrily while tanked up on industrial strength anti-inflammatories. Personally I’d have preferred to have broken something. I’ve had soft tissue injuries before and they take FOREVER to heal and, no matter how gently you treat them, they are never quite 100% again. The doctor reckons the insurance company will think he’s making these accidental injuries up and that he’s got a scam going. This week it’s me with “I hurt my left foot falling off a unicycle”. Last week he put in a claim for somebody who was injured when his dog head butted him.

On the lighter side, I get the feeling that my injury has given so many people so much pleasure. The best comment so far “That’s Marvellous! Well done Jayne!”. I have lost count of the number of times I had the following conversation at work on Friday:
Colleague “What did you do to your foot”
Me “I hurt it falling off a unicycle. Feel free to laugh and point, everybody else did.”

Tonight I’m off to a “getting to know you dinner” for the department I’m moving to so I’ll get to have the same conversation a good few times more. At least it’s a wonderful conversation starter. It makes me sound much more interesting than “I’m the new Geostatistician / Revenue Manager”.

The most annoying thing about this whole incident? I’ve fallen off the coker countless times. I’ve fallen off the 24 less times, but still a good few. Injuries sustained in ALL these falls - NONE. Then I fall off a PIDDLING LITTLE 20 and HURT MYSELF! Where’s the justice in that?

Off to do the whole RICE thing. Hope to be better and back to riding soon. I’m so pissed off with myself it’s unbelievable!

Jayne

yeah it’s always the little harmless ones you gotta watch out for, get better soon.

Andrew

That’s what you get for quitting. The Coker probably got mad and put a curse on you :wink: (they have feelings, too)

Hope you heal quickly!!!:smiley:

Re: I hurt my foot!

:slight_smile: mmmmmm… vikadin

Re: I hurt my foot!

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 06:35:12 -0500, “Jayne ZA” wrote:

>I was anticipating posting something about how I’d gotten sick of
>getting nowhere on the coker and had decided to downsize to a 24.

Good then that something prevented that :slight_smile:

Seriously, sorry to hear about your injury. Hope you heal quickly and
well!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

Jayne, how long is forever? I’ve never had a soft tissue injury (yet, anyway.)

I received bad news myself, just yesterday. I have degenerative joint disease in my big toe. Surgery scheduled end of October, damn it, my favorite time of year, and the doctor said I won’t be able to ride for at least 2 MONTHS!! That on top of the fact we’re having our rainiest summer in years, so my practice has fallen off to a few times each week instead of every day. Sigh.

Forever is relative. When you have 2 kids, a job to drive to and a home to run, any time without two functioning feet is too long.

I went back to the doc on Tuesday and he’s bandaged my foot to within an inch of it’s life. I can’t get the bandage wet and can’t take it off until Sunday and I need to see him again on Monday. He says no unicycling until I feel NO PAIN AT ALL, which will be in 4 to 6 weeks time AT THE EARLIEST. I have done something to a ligament. The last time I did something to a ligament was about 10-12 years ago when I sprained my knee. The doc I saw then said that ligaments take as long to heal as bones - 180 days!

So much for riding my unicycle around the office on “Casual Day” in September.

I still feel like an idiot!

Jayne