"I Haven't even seen a unicyclist"

Some guy sad this to me. Then i realized, i haven’t either! :astonished:

Alot of you are very fortunate to be in touch with other unicyclists who are your family and friends. Many of you have even gone to Uni events to watch others.

Now i have really only been at it for two months and have no way to get out to Uni events, but i still see other unicyclists who are friends with other unicyclists and they play games and go out for rides and i realize that i haven’t even SEEN a unicyclist.

Anyone else in the same boat as me?

XWonka, I have unicycled for 32 years, and have never seen another unicyclist while I am riding. (Until last week when 2 of my daughters started riding, Yipppeee)

Whoops, I almost forgot. When in middle and high school, I helped organize a group. Taught 7 others how to ride and then we travelled around to other schools to perform. We also did parades together for several years.

When I was a teen, I was on vacation at the beach and saw a fellow riding. My uni was back at the motel room. Anyway, he was sitting at a red light, balancing with one leg, with the other foot up on the crown. I remember being amazed, but went back to the room and learned that trick over the next few days. --chirokid–

Re: “I Haven’t even seen a unicyclist”

Granted I haven’t been unicycling for long (about 6 months), I have always
been interested, and oddly enough have never actually seen anyone unicyling
about either! I’m actually going to be moving to Toronto nearing the end of
August, and I hope to meet some fellow unicyclist there. It would
definitely be nice to actually see another unicylist in the flesh!

Carney

“chirokid” <chirokid.qbdsq@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:chirokid.qbdsq@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> XWonka, I have unicycled for 32 years, and have never seen another
> unicyclist while I am riding. (Until last week when 2 of my daughters
> started riding, Yipppeee)
>
> Whoops, I almost forgot. When in middle and high school, I helped
> organize a group. Taught 7 others how to ride and then we travelled
> around to other schools to perform. We also did parades together for
> several years.
>
> When I was a teen, I was on vacation at the beach and saw a fellow
> riding. My uni was back at the motel room. Anyway, he was sitting at a
> red light, balancing with one leg, with the other foot up on the crown.
> I remember being amazed, but went back to the room and learned that
> trick over the next few days. --chirokid–
>
>
> –
> chirokid
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> chirokid’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/26610
>

I very rarely see people riding unicycles when I’m just out and about. I see unicyclists when I go looking for them, which I do a lot. Random unicycle sightings are probably about once a year or so, maybe less. There just aren’t that many of us riding around the average streets! Downtowns probably see more, or schoolyards.

So it’s up to you to go find some other riders, or “make them.” When my friend and I started getting into unicycling in 1979, we knew there was a local club (seen in parades), but it took us a long time to find them. Once we did, things were never the same.

Most people don’t have the luxury of local clubs. You might have to start your own. Or hook up with some other newsgroup people, and arrange a day to get together for some riding.

If none of this is easily workable for you, at least get a video. :stuck_out_tongue:

Until about 2 or 3 years ago, I was the best unicyclist I’d ever met. Of course, the only other unicyclists I’d ever met were the types who were satisfied when they got to the point where they could ride in a straight line. But then I met a few who were better than me, which prompted me to learn more things. Then I went to the Moab MUniFest and realized how completely outclassed I was, which prompted me to learn even more stuff. Every once in a while, I hear other people tell me that I’m the best unicyclist they’ve ever met, and that could be true, but it’s nice to see others that are better than I am, so I can learn from them.
If you live anywhere near a college campus, it would be a good place to check for other unicyclists. I know of about 7 that have ridden around BYU campus in the last 3 years.