I have great respect...

… for anyone even thinking about doing the Downieville Downhill at the California MUni weekend! I just went out today to see where I was physically in preparation for the weekend, and let me tell you, I’ve got a long way to go.
There’s a relatively good trail around here for MUni; it’s short, but with some extremely steep and technical uphill and downhill sections (think Slickrock, but with loose gravel and rocks). There are two sections, and I’d never done both before, so it was about time. So, I got up and going around 7:00 (way too hot after 10:00), and started making my way to the mountain. Unfortunately, I am without car, so I had to ride to the trail before could ride on the trail. It was about a 2-mile ride just to get to the parking lot, all uphill; some sections were so steep that I didn’t think I would even make it to the trail. When I got to the trailhead, I was exhausted, and my legs felt like rubber. Not a good way to start a ride.
So after resting for a while, it was time to tackle the actual trail. Besides not having the energy to ride up the steep hills, it was fine. A lot of fun, and just enough technical sections to keep it interesting.
To keep a long story shorter, the actual offroad section was only 4.5 miles, but in total, my ride was a little over 9.75 miles. And I was exhausted at the end. It looks like I’ve got a long way to go in the next couple of months!

Re: I have great respect…

Remember, the ride is predominantly downhill. Though there is climbing along the way, the main thing you should know you can handle is the distance. I hope to get a more accurate set of distance numbers before MUni Weekend, but plan at least 15 miles to be safe. Many of us rode 14 for the Flume Trail in 2000, with about the same amount of uphill (and a lot less downhill).

I am going to try to set up a small group to go up there in August and figure out MUni Weekend details, alternate routes, pick-up points, etc.

There you go, eliminate all that uphill and you’re fine! :slight_smile: But like you said, you’ll want to be prepared for the miles. For best MUni Weekend results, work on mileage in your training. Riding down long hills also takes its toll, but if you can do the miles you’ll be much better equipped to handle the rest.

Some riders might not want to tackle Downieville, which will give them the option of going home on Sunday. Downieville riders will probably not be returning to civilization until well after dark (dinner plus driving time), so plan your flights accordingly. For best results fly home Monday.

Paco,
That’s great you went up there to check it out. Did you go all the way up
to Sierra Buttes to start? We did last time, and it was 17 miles down to
Downieville. You could cut out the last 2 miles or so with a car shuttle,
but at that point you’ve finished all the technical stuff and most of the
singletrack. The first mile or so was on a fireroad, then singletrack. There
are two options about 2/3 of the way along - we took the slightly longer and
more technical way and it was great.

I bet it was hot as hell out there in the middle of the day at this time of
year. October should be a lot nicer. Last year we did it around June 20.
There was still snow around and it wasn’t too hot. We had 6 riders and if I
remember right we rode from about 11am to 7pm (lots of stopping to hop up
rocky sections and redo technical spots). Three of the guys were physically
pretty much used up by the end, but the other three of us were fine. There
were a couple of injuries too - always bring a first aid kit on a ride like
this.

As I said in a previous mail, to have fun on this ride you need to be able
to ride for 8 hours at a time. Sort of similar to the rides at Moab last
March, but longer and more elevation change. When you’re training, just keep
thinking about relaxing and using less energy.

See you in Oct!

—Nathan

“paco” <paco.r51un@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote
> … for anyone even thinking about doing the Downieville Downhill at the
> California MUni weekend! I just went out today to see where I was
> physically in preparation for the weekend, and let me tell you, I’ve got
> a long way to go.
[snip]
> To keep a long story shorter, the actual offroad section was only 4.5
> miles, but in total, my ride was a little over 7 miles. And I was
> exhausted at the end. It looks like I’ve got a long way to go in the
> next couple of months!

One other factor about doing Downieville in October is daylight. Last time
was around June 20 with daylight until after 9pm. Luckily, daylight savings
time extends until Oct 26. We can expect sunrise at 7:15am and sunset at
6:20pm. So we have to get a move on if we start out from John’s house that
morning. Maybe we should drive up Saturday night and stay in Downieville?

—Nathan

Oh ye of little faith, Paco. Remember, “Your ARE da MAN!!!” :smiley: You’ll do great on the ride.

Just wish I was in the shape (and had the time) to do a ride like that. --chirokid–

Re: Re: I have great respect…

Note to Nathan: Paco lives in Provo, UT. I think he was talking about something local there :slight_smile:

I hadn’t considered the daylight savings thing. Fortunately we’ll still have it then. I don’t know what there is for hotels up in Downieville, but it would add some cost. It would save the roundtrip from Auburn, back to my house, and back to (through) Auburn on Sunday morning though.

I’d rather just get up earlier and arrive in Downieville earlier. Looks like we’ll be renting both available shuttles, and we may still need some people to drive us up. I hope we can work that out.

Meanwhile, it’s also a possibility to switch the Friday and Saturday rides, doing Auburn on Friday. This will leave more time at the end of the day on Saturday for us to play in the back yard (possible games/competitions), do a big group meal, and maybe even relax and watch a video or two.

Downieville is some great downhill!! Don’t forget your brake… :wink:
I wish I lived out that way it’s a trail I have wanted to hit on my mountain bike for many years.

I can’t even ride my uni, but by October… What is the crank length recommended for this ride? Should I attach and practice with my brake?

I’m dreaming, I know, but this weekend sounds like a great makeup for missing NAUCC.

All Toms must ride Downieville! And since the consensus seems to be that you can’t walk afterwards, you’re already deep in training!

I’m looking at this as the opportunity to earn some payback on my magura investment. In the 3 months I’ve had my Hunter, I really haven’t used the thing except to make noise for alerting the wildlife ahead on the trail. Hopefully it’ll help save these 4-decade knees I’m sporting.

In article <tomblackwood.r7tmb@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
tomblackwood <tomblackwood.r7tmb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)iunicycle wrote:
)> *I can’t even ride my uni, but by October… What is the crank length
)> recommended for this ride? Should I attach and practice with my brake?
)> I’m dreaming, I know, but this weekend sounds like a great makeup for
)> missing NAUCC. *
)
)All Toms must ride Downieville!

I agree!
-Tom

Most people are going to be riding on a 24x3 with 170mm cranks.

As for getting in shape. You have the perfect training grounds right in your backyard now. You’re just down the road (I-90) from Tiger Mountain. Tiger Mountain is how I get myself in shape. If you can manage to ride the Preston Railroad Trail without dying at the end you’ll be in good enough shape to do the California Muni Weekend. The Preston RR Trail is about a 12 mile ride that starts off with a nice 1100 foot climb over 3.5 miles on a logging road. It’ll whip you in to shape.

There is also a nice training climb at St. Edward State Park. The climb up from the lake to the park is about 340 vertical feet. It’s a good hill to help get yourself into climbing shape at the beginning of the season. It’s how I get in shape to do Tiger Mountain.

Let me know when you want to go ride. :slight_smile:

I still have great respect…

…for those attempting the Downieville Downhill, but not as much as I did before. I now see that it is humanly possible. My training is going to pay off, and I see a light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve still got a ways to go, but I’m going to be able to make it.
With all the uphills and downhills (and I’m talking steep ups and downs), I managed 6 miles offroad and 12 miles total this morning. I even made it up one gravel section so steep that my tire kept slipping. All in all, I only had about 4 UPD’s, and only about 6 rest stops.
I figure that if I’m going to spend $200 on airfare, I’m getting my money’s worth and riding the whole weekend!

Just to keep everyone posted on my training, I have now reached a landmark. Monday, I started my usual route, but when I got to my normal stopping point, I kept going. Bottom line: 18 miles, with 13 of those miles being off-road. And that’s including all the uphills and downhills. I was terribly sore and tired by the time I was done (and had drained my entire-2 liter Camelbak), but I was fine after a few hours of rest. I have to get to 15 miles off-road before I’ll feel completely prepared for California (I want to have enough endurance to play on the trail, not just ride).
Downieville, here I come!