I had a Break Through!

I was starting to get frustrated with my freemounting the other day. I had read the thread on practicing longer and stayed in the driveway trying to freemount for 30 minutes. For at least the first 15 minutes I did nothing but hope up and fall over, sometimes turning a half revolution. Then at about 20 minutes into it I was getting 2 out of 5 times what I would consider rideable freemounts. So after my 10th or 15th good mount I turned in for the night. This was 10 or 15 out of 50-60.

Fast forward to last night. I get out he Uni hope on and ride off perfectly. After a short ride I came off and mounted again flawlessly. I repeated this same basic scenario 10 more times. I went 12 for 12. I could not believe it. Damn that felt good. I also feeling pretty full of my self went down the steepest of 2 hills in my neighborhood. I don’t know how steep it is, but on a bike coasting, you can hall a$$. So I made it to the bottom, turned around and started back up. I got about 80 feet up the hill before coming over the front. It seemed very hard to go up the hill, I will probably try again tonight.

Yeah, the best way to learn something is to do it over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, until it sort of starts to work. Then you continue doing it until it really works. I remember it took me ages to learn how to freemount as well. Good job!

Isn’t it great when everything just…works!

Came home tonight, bam just like the day before. You gotta love it when you have a break through. The thing that is exciting is there is always something else to learn, thus getting challanged as well as enjoying new success.

Speaking of learning new things, how do you ride with one foot? I was just outside trying it, and it’s HARD! I’m looking for a site with a good tutorial for it. that’s where I got tips for all my other tricks.
Do you have any tips?

There are some tips on one foot riding here at Tammy and Tanya’s most excellent unicycle page

In addition to the tips from Tammy and Tanya you can practice just lifting one foot off the pedal for for a 1/4 or 1/2 revolution and then putting your foot back on the pedal. That at least gets you used to the idea of getting the foot on and off the pedal.

It’s easier to ride one footed with one foot up on the crown of the frame. Riding with one foot just hanging free in the breeze is much more difficult.

Work on pedaling in a circle and making the most of the 1/2 revolution of control that you’ll get when one footing. Point the toe down at the bottom of the pedal stroke to get the most out of the pedal stroke. At the bottom of the pedal stroke scrape your foot backwards like you’re scraping mud off your shoe.

The best tip I can give is to learn to do it on a smooth floor like in a gym. I was trying to learn how to one foot on a black top parking lot and not making any progress. Then I got one day to play in a gym and it all came together very quickly. The smooth floor makes a lot of difference while learning.

I found Tammy and Tanya’s site, and it helped me a little. I’ll try your tips tomorrow(it’s about 9:30 here). Thanks!