I finally went 100 Feet, now what!!

Perspective from a fellow noob…

I learned the static mount first and am just now learning the roll back. I wear shin guards and generally don’t need them, but there have been a couple times that they have earned their living :slight_smile:

Keeping the Boys-in-Front - BIF - is critical. I have not found the perfect answer yet, but I have tried the athletic supporter and it tends to help. This one is a work in progress - sometimes everything stays up and out of the way, other times gravity prevails and I have to bail on the attempt quickly :astonished:

The other BIG challenge with either mount has been getting my foot on the pedal in a good position. Sometimes I do, other times I bail on the attempt because the foot hits the pedal in such a poor position that I know I will not have a good ride. The key to this, so far, has been to really focus on the pedal until my foot is on it, then transition my sight quickly out to the front.

As with everything else, it seems like everyone’s tips have been helpful but persistence and consistency of practice are the thing that finally prevail! So, here’s to “keep on keepin’ on” :smiley:

I faceplanted on one of my attempted freemounts and caught my face about 6 inches from the pavement. Thank goodness for Hillbilly wrist guard gloves!!

I really need to find the best position for the lead foot on the pedal so that it doesn’t fling the unicycle behind me :thinking:

Free Mounting

I freemounted today, it was soo cool. I only did it once but I finally have the technique 90% down.

Watching utube videos and reading posts on the forum really helped. These were the keys for me for doing a static mount:

1. Keep my (right) rear pedal leg totally still with No downward pressure. “Like Wood” one of the forum posts said. This is the master key.

2. Really focus on falling enough forward to get my momentum going. I swing my arms slightly forward to balance me and get me moving on the seat forward. This takes the pressure off my right foot. Don’t forget to protect the sensitive man-bits as best as possible.

3. Looking at the front (left) pedal while mounting.

Wicked cool!!!

Next goal, Idling!!!