I finally spotted another unicyclist (very rare where I live)

I’m a police sgt and usually work our front desk. Now I’ve never seen another person riding a unicycle except in parades, circus etc. The only people I’ve seen were the ones I’m trying to get into it and someone from this forum I got to ride with once. And of course everyone I work with jokes with me about joining circus and doing parades. I know everyone on here have heard all those types of comments. Yesterday a guy rode a uni into the lobby to file a complaint. I was shocked and of course had to call everyone who made fun of me to see I’m not the only one who rides.
Turned out the guy is a retired firefighter who has been riding for 15 years. He is 63 years old and looked about 45, not kidding 45 tops! He said in 15 years he never met another unicyclist. Maybe I’ll get to ride with him in the near future.

mehhh I want that too. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it’s pretty rare in my area as well. I finally met someone recently that rides in my neighborhood, and he introduced me to a club that meets about 30 miles away, so I’m finally starting to meet other riders after about 30 years of riding on and off. I also recently found out that a close friend I’ve known for over 10 years used to ride, and now he’s gotten a new uni and we ride about 2-3 times a month. Kind of weird! I had gotten used to being the only one I knew who rode. Seems like the sport is getting more popular all the time.

Bradford - half a dozen guys are getting together tomorrow morning just for a Saturday 36er ride at one of the local trails within 30 minutes of you (White Rock Lake). That’s not rare - that’s a dream for most of the riders on this forum!

I have ridden my unicycle in Watertown, CT.

Except I guess it was in a circus, so maybe that doesn’t count. :frowning:

It was with the National Circus Project, the arts-in-education organization I used to work with in the 80s and 90s.

I think for most of us it’s pretty rare to have sightings of “random unicyclists in the wild”. Definitely only about one per year for me, if that.

I’ve not once met a unicyclist in the wild yet - though I’ve met one or two guys who say they can ride, I’ve not seen them doing it. One of them said he had a Huni-Rex, I’m sad to say I’m yet to test that monstrosity out! :smiley:

I’ve even been to a few huge cycling events round here and not really ran into random unicyclists (Aside from the ones I specifically planned to meet there), it’s weird!

Thanks for the heads up. I just joined the DFW Unicycle club’s group on Facebook, and I’ve seen the posts about it there. I’m not a distance rider, and I don’t own large wheel uni. I’m mostly concentrating on getting up to speed on the muni and doin’ more off road stuff these days. I guess you’re probably either there or headed out to WRL now. Hope you have a good ride!

Maybe Rowlett Creek

It was a good ride! We did talk about riding muni next weekend. Rowlett Creek is usually most central to all of us, though we also talked about Erwin (in McKinney) and LB Houston in Irving.

I see you trying to buy a brake on another thread - brakes are a great addition but most us don’t bother around here (but Bri is FABULOUS to buy stuff from).

Hope to see you out.

Maybe Rowlett Creek

It was a good ride! We did talk about riding muni next weekend. Rowlett Creek is usually most central to all of us, though we also talked about Erwin (in McKinney) and LB Houston in Irving.

I see you trying to buy a brake on another thread - brakes are a great addition but most us don’t bother around here (but Bri is FABULOUS to buy stuff from).

Hope to see you out.

Glad you guys had a good ride at WRL. I saw the pics on the DFW club’s FB page. Looks like you were havin’ fun.

I’ve never been to Rowlett Creek, but I’d like to check it out. Got a lot of rain around here yesterday, and more is predicted for later (and we’ve had a fair share of precip lately) so hopefully thing will be dry by next weekend. Seems only natural that when I finally get to meet some other folks in my area that ride muni it would be raining all the time! Isn’t that always how it goes? Oh, well!

I’ve kind of been going back and forth on the brake thing. Initially, I wasn’t worried too much about brakes, but I live in a hilly neighborhood, and sometimes getting down some of the steeper, longer hills takes a lot out of my legs and doesn’t leave much for climbing and other stuff, so the brakes are really more for just saving my legs. I heard they’re also a great UPD lever! :wink: