I delivered the wrong baby

The big, bad, brown truck rolled-up to my house today with a rather large box. Packages often arrive here (for work), but I knew that this was no ordinary box…this was my new Yuni. :smiley:

I wrangled the cardboard container through the door and allowed it to settle-in, while I put on some coffee.
After a few sips of Seattle’s best, the birthing process commenced.

First to see the light-of-day was the wheelset : A black and silver rim, surrounded by the notorious Big Apple - this baby was just waiting to gulp breath from a bicycle pump.
I noticed, while engorging the tire with air, that the cranks were not the 150 mm black Euro’s ordered, but some badly chromed ones…oh well.
Minutes later all the components : frame, silver Wellgo pedals and black KH seat were in place.

I stood back to admire the 29" creation I had just fathered.

But, something was wrong…
The frame had only 2mm clearance on one side of the big apple.

That’s when it hit me - the frame was not a Yuni but a Sem ! :astonished:
Being so wrapped-up in the process, I simply hadn’t noticed the obvious.

It’s hard enough bringing a new creation into this world, but then to find out it’s not your kid…man that sucks.

So, guess who will be giving UDC a call tomorrow.

But for the night ride (on another uni) my mantra may be patience…patience…patience. :wink:

Sounds like someone forgot to put the hospital bracelets on your baby in the delivery room.

Re: I delivered the wrong baby

make sure they pay shipping both ways.

UDC has been great in the past , but they obviously got some wires crossed on this one.

I’ll post after the dust settles…

have they? I’ve always had experiences like the one you described. nowadays, I generally plan on needing to call right after I got whatever I ordered, and needing to wait another week to get the right thing.

James_Potter Wrote:
have they? I’ve always had experiences like the one you described. nowadays, I generally plan on needing to call right after I got whatever I ordered, and needing to wait another week to get the right thing.

Thanks James for the post.

I certainly hope that it wasn’t a: “…oh well, we don’t have a 29” Yuni frame handy, so let’s just send him a Sem."

Say it isn’t so…

My world will then come crashing down.

They couldnt do that could they…?

Chase

Well…Just got off the phone with UDC.
They said that the new Yuni frame looks exactly like a Semcycle frame. :thinking:
Anyway, at that rate I don’t want this thing not with only 2mm side clearance for the big apple. I wish they would have told me before I ordered it.
Rebecca, to her credit, is helpful, and was going to speak with Ann and see what they could do…

Re: I delivered the wrong baby

My Yuni 29er came with some silver aluminum 127mm cranks, not the black 125’s listed on the web site. (At least I hope it is a Yuni. I will double-check wheel clearance when I get home.)

it probobly doesnt look the same to somone who wouldnt know the differance anyway…

kinda like right crank arms look just like left crank arms.

UDC just called and offered a black, painted - Old Yuni Style -frame.

Guess I’ll do that and have it chromed or even powder-coated locally.

On my kinetic sculpture, I just replaced a Sem XL frame with the new Yuni frame (28") and it doesn’t look at all the same. The Sem frame is narrower (doesn’t fit a Gazz 3.0) and has a flat crown; the Yuni fits a Gazz and has an inverse Y-shaped crown, with the frame tubes sticking up.

At least you didn’t get a banjo. But by my experience, and by the photos on their web site, the Yuni frame looks nothing like the Sem XL.

[I]On my kinetic sculpture, I just replaced a Sem XL frame with the new Yuni frame (28") and it doesn’t look at all the same. The Sem frame is narrower (doesn’t fit a Gazz 3.0) and has a flat crown; the Yuni fits a Gazz and has an inverse Y-shaped crown, with the frame tubes sticking up.

At least you didn’t get a banjo. But by my experience, and by the photos on their web site, the Yuni frame looks nothing like the Sem XL.[/I]

Take a look…

That looks just like my Sem XL frame with the Big Apple. Since the Yuni frame is used for unicycle.com’s MUnis, and it’s obvious that your frame wouldn’t fit a 3.0" tire, you don’t have a Yuni frame.

Mistakes happen. But to UDC’s credit they have been working hard to make it right.

So, Sometime next week another brown truck will deliver the “older style” black Yuni frame, cranks and new seat-post.

“The best-laid plans of mice and men
Gang aft agley (= often go wrong).
And leave us naught but grief and pain
For promised joy.” - John Steinbeck

I have to say that Rebecca (at UDC) is certainly great, and an attribute to that company…

If its not too late already, I would highly recommend getting a Semcycle XL wide 28" frame rather than a 28" Yuni. I’ve ridden 29ers with both types of frame and the Sem is superior due to its smaller width at the crown. Unless your really tall, the projections on the Yuni’s crown ends will be at perfect knee height and you’ll end up knocking your knees on them frequently and kinda painfully (especially in offroad riding). I seldom if ever knock my knees on my Sem XLW framed 29er.

+()||>-

Yes, I considered the Semcycle frame, but ultimately settled for the Yuni.
By-the-way, UDC mentioned that There are two different width 29" Yuni Frames (Referring to the Yuni frames that most are familiar with - inverted “V” crown). One has a normal width and can accept even a big apple without a problem. The other is considerably wider at the crown - over 6" from outside edge to outside edge. :astonished:

dont forget that one of the big differances between the Yuni and the Sem’s is the seat tube lenth. the Sem’s seat tube is only like 3.5 inches long. the Yuni is around 5 or 6"

Ahh, maybe it was one of these wider frames I tried. I’ll try and find the frame and measure it.

TonyMelton Wrote:
Ahh, maybe it was one of these wider frames I tried. I’ll try and find the frame and measure it.

Thanks Tony - I would like that info.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I pumped-up the tire again tonight (a Big Apple 2.35). It rubs on one side, and had only 2-3 mm clearance on the other…ugly. :frowning:

I look forward to getting the normal Yuni frame - this new style is just not a working deal.