I can't find the Master link..(to shorten my chain)

I’ve looked over the entire length of the chain three times and didn’t see a master link or anything else that looked as though it would allow me to shorten the chain.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

A lot of chains don’t have a removable link. You need a chain link tool to push out one of the pins. If you want to shorten the chain you’ll need a tool anyway even if the chain has a removable link.

It is possible to tap the pin out with a hammer and punch (or nail) but it’s much easier and more controlled with a proper tool. They aren’t expensive (about £6 or £7 in the UK). You need to remember not to push the pin all the way out on the link you want to reconnect - push it far enough to unlink the chain but not completely out otherwise they’re a bugger to get back in.

Rob

EDIT: If this chain is on a unicycle (giraffe?) you should take up slack by sliding the axle further down the dropouts. If the chain is a whole link too long you’ll have an enormous amount of slack. You should only need to remove links if it’s a new chain or something else has been modified (such as fitting smaller sprockets).

I’m making a slightly-reclined unicycle out of an old bike frame and it’s wheel. I’m sure that I can get this to work, but I need to get rid of the derailleur. This means that I have a lot of extra chain to remove.

I’ll try setting up a vice at home, and using a hammer and nail (or something better) to push one of the pins down. Thanks for telling me not to push the pin all the way out; I’m sure I would have done that :roll_eyes: .

Re: I can’t find the Master link…(to shorten my chain)

When I was in the robotis team in high school, the master links we used
were permanent. If we needed to do something with a chain, we used one
tool to snap a link and another tool to apply LOTS of tension in the
chain while we applied a new “master” link. If you have a lot of chain
to remove, breaking it in two places would probably be quickest.

-jonathan

The master link allows you to open up your chain without special tools, but does not make it any easier to change the length. Okay, shortening wouldn’t be a problem, but making it longer still requires a chain tool.

Chain tools are pretty cheap. I highly recommend you invest in one, as you’ll probably have future use for it. It will save you a lot of time and hassle. And nails. :slight_smile:

You can’t find the master link, but link can find the master sword…

Go to your LBS and spend 10-15 bucks on a real chain tool. ( http://www.bikeworld.com/components/catalog/product.html?pid=168&cat=221 )

Don’t screw with that vice and punch junk. That’ll just screw up the chain. Real chain tools are worth their weight in gold.

I agree with seager. Use the right tool for the right job, using that hammer and punch method is bad news. Believe me, I tried it once. :stuck_out_tongue:

unless that bike has horizontal dropouts, youre gonna have a lot of slack…

LOL…nice :smiley: