I bought an electric (self balancing) unicycle

BC wheel is good. I think of mine as a goat. The solo wheel and its clones don’ t have a seat. The SBU people, focus designs, I believe had a hand in the solo development. The SBU has a max weight of about 325 lbs. The other wheels don’t carry as much.

Sadly this means that you aren’t a goat rider as in a goat that rides an electric unicycle.

Maybe like pan. , man with goat hindquarters. It is very willful unto itself. It don’t like to be picked up

If you look a laptop computers, they all look similar but inside they are worlds apart. One can be 5 times the cost for good reason.

An electric unicycle will need very complex sensors and computer control, the quality of the ride will depend completely on how well these are implemented.
In addition, as with a normal unicycle, the quality of the running gear including hub will vary.
Try before you buy. :slight_smile:

I own a SBU, cost about $1800, I bought 2. There was a 10 week wait time. I give it. 9.5. It can be worked on. It has one 30 amp fuse. It takes about 1 hour 20 minutes to recharge. The company provides an exta inner tube. I did some research before I bought. The lower cost machines have no seat, lower max weight, look clunky. The SBU is metal body, robust, sleek. . I have dumped it and dumped it at 6-10 mph. It keeps on ticking . I believe focus designs may have had a hand in the balance package of the lower end machines. It is Segway tech. It works and delivers. A big difference with a unicycle is speed. I can go at speed for miles.

I watched the video on their site – looks like a blast to ride! It might take some different skills, but hey, an electric bke is still a bke. I’d love to hear more.

To some, yes it is.To some, it is not.

Can’t argue with that…

I can’t imagine the ridicule of riding an electric “single wheeled thing”, the laughing and pointing is already bad enough on a proper unicycle :roll_eyes:

Good point…

Goat rider, that is cool. I saw one of these on Mythbusters, and I would buy one if I could afford it. I think the novelty factor is huge. In fact, if I could afford them, I’d buy a segway, electric bike (maybe three or four), and a million other similarly cool gadgets. I think they’re all cool. If I ever saw anyone locally riding a SBU, I would beg them incessantly to let me try it. :smiley:

Regardless of what a few purists may say, I think most people on this site would offer you the same warm welcome I do: “Welcome to unicyclist.com, there’s room for everyone here!” I certainly appreciate the warm welcome I received when I first joined this forum, even though I was not a unicyclist. I owned a unicycle, but I was not a unicyclist yet, as it took me a few weeks of practice before I could actually ride it well enough to call myself that. :slight_smile:

Also curious, did you buy the SBU from a local dealer or did you order it online? I’d love to test drive one, so just wondering if their business has grown to the point where they have local dealers.

I bought it on line, 10 week wait time. No dealers yet at least not in State College, Pa. Thanks for your welcome. I am 53 with weak legs but a lot of gumption. I pushed hard learning to ride, choosing distance over safety. I hit the ground a lot but with pads, not so bad. I thought I would pick up this wacky skill before I got too infirm and I did. I picked up a lot of mobility, I can see riding the goat as I age. The current SBU is version 3 , V3. I fantasize about what the V7 will be like. If you are a tinkerer, there are some interesting thing you can do to the V3. External additional battery pack, larger pegs and maybe a body with the sexy styling of the new Indian motorcycles. I have a lot of lights on it right now. I want to give somebody as much chance to not hit me with a car as I can. I love yelling at skateboarders and bicyclists " too many wheels !"

Sweet! I’ve seen an instructable on building your own self-balancing unicycle, but I’m afraid I’m not that much a tinkerer. However, I’ve been thinking of enlisting a friend of mine who is a brilliant tinkerer; I’m sure he could help me figure it out.

I’d love to see a pic. We’ve been putting dozens of LEDs on our RC airplanes for several years now and flying them at night.

I just watched a video of something called SBU V3, which I’m assuming is what you have. I thought SBU was just the acronym for the device, perhaps it is the name brand.

It looks like the SBU would require a bit of the same skills needed by a uni rider, e.g. leaning into the “fall” or however you’d describe the phenomenon. Perhaps that’s why it took you 30 hours to learn how to ride it? Is that a fairly typical time commitment for learning to to ride the SBU?

Here’s where I’m going with all this - most say that, on average, a unicycle takes 12 - 14 hours to learn how to ride. From what I understand the majority of people that attempt to learn how to ride a unicycle give up at some point (I could be wrong). I was thinking that if the SBU takes twice as long to learn then the SBU would see a similar or perhaps even greater rate of people that give up on it before they learn how to ride.

Maybe the cost factor would mitigate that a bit? In other words people give up on a unicycle because they are only out $40-$100 on what was more of a whim in the first place. I imagine the person that drops $1,800 on a SBU is going to put in the time because they’ve got to justify the purchase. Still, it would be interesting to see the end results of a device that is nearly $2K that may have just as high of a failure to learn rate as a uni. Cheaper, used SBUs all over e-bay? A company that begins to struggle a bit once word of mouth about the learning curve begins to surface in product reviews?

Here’s the Mythbusters clip I was referring to. I also am interested in the average learning time for learning to ride the SBU and whether Adam Savage’s seemingly quick learning is atypical. And that’s an interesting theory about the perceived value of something having an impact on your determination to learn it.

I think I saw a pic somewhere of him riding a giraffe uni so his learning experience wouldn’t be normal. (I’m not certain if it was him on the giraffe though.)

It took 30 hrs. To ride well enough to ride 3 miles one way to work. I could ride on trails and parks long before I rode to work. I have ridden about 70 miles without falling off. I have not seen one SBU, self balancing unicycle, on eBay. I have seen the less expensive models on eBay. I find it interesting and revealing when someone who has not ridden a SBU comment on the goat. I have not ridden one of the pedal variety, so I do not comment other than they both have one wheel.

SBU on Ebay, albeit a new one so not really a testament to quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBU-V3-Self-Balancing-Unicycle-/151134460905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233050dbe9

Now you’re confusing me…

Ouch! Got me on that one. For sale by focus designs, the designers, way to reach a wider market guys. Same price as I paid but no wait time. I get the impression someone is searching for fault. Here goes. I bought two, me and my wife. She has training wheels and can’t ride on one wheel yet. Rides well enough on 3. She is adverse to hitting the ground. Also had a brain operation last august and has a balance problem. Anyone else out there rode one or any powered cousin?