Hypothetical Unicon Performance

Ok, let’s assume I could attend Unicon and let’s assume I had half the talent Jamey (I probably don’t have a 10th, by the way) has and this is my act:

A tribute to the thousands of innocent Afghanis killed or whose homes were destroyed and lives were shattered by errant US bombs in our attempt to rid the country of Al-Qaidi and the Taliban. Ordinary people under extraordinary circumstances.

Can I do it? Is anybody moved?

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

No. Don’t you know the first thing about Americanism? We’re not suppose to care about the other people.

Re: Hypothetical Unicon Performance

> Ok, let’s assume I could attend Unicon and let’s assume I had half the
> talent Jamey (I probably don’t have a 10th, by the way) has and this is
> my act:
>
> A tribute to the thousands of innocent Afghanis killed or whose homes
> were destroyed and lives were shattered by errant US bombs in our
> attempt to rid the country of Al-Qaidi and the Taliban. Ordinary people
> under extraordinary circumstances.
>
> Can I do it? Is anybody moved?

Yes. Yes.

Exactly what reaction you get will depend on your performance, of course,
but I guarantee a reaction.

Re: Hypothetical Unicon Performance

Of course you can. And if you do it well, we will be as moved as we were by Jamey’s performance. Or we will be as sickened as we were by Jamey’s performance. It’s hard to please everybody.

But the key thing is, it’s how you do it, more than what you do, that makes the performance and generates the reaction.

How can anyone from the so-called “civilized world” be happy about killing innocent civilians?

JF

How about if me, and 3 other Canadians were unicycling around for a performance, and an American unicyclist fell on our heads?
Would an inquiry be done?

nice topic.

yep, the country with highest concentration of christians, and the lowest social security…

Start bombing deserts, dust and stone, and -oh- innocent poeple…
And tell the EU to pay 900 million.

Now let’s tell the “bandits” of Iraq to destroy their mass-destruction weapens or else we declare war (while having exact the same weapons spreaded anywhere in the world).

Climate conference in Johannesburg? Sorry, Bush is on holiday.
(like a US minister/presiden they ever visit one of this UN conferences).

God bless USA! (and Allah the rest?)
fits perfectly the words of an Ozzy friend of me:
Yanks: kept in the dark, fed with shit.

hey sofa,

i think you made a good point. while over there trying to do good and helpin the americans, or whatever, they get bombed by the americans. now THAT is messed up.

i think it show how much more sure they have to be about their targets. if they cant even destinguish canadian forces, then what makes me think that they are takin to much care in ensuring that no afgani citizens are killed.

well, thats just my piont of view, sorry to stray off topic.

-Mike

Or make a “American Services Members’ Protection Act” that enables the US to invade the Netherlands in order to ‘free’ any US serviceman/woman from the internationally recognized war tribunal in The Hague.

In other words: the US only respects the UN if it’s possible to let UN countries fight the war they want (and NOT the other members). And otherwise they would’nt border attacking UN partners, if they like to do so.

If I was a little american kid, on school, and needed to swear to the flague… of a ‘free’ country…

Bytheway the quote should be:
Yanks are like mushroom; kept in the dark, feed with shit.

I’ve been reading this unicycle message board daily, since a SA based Friend turned me onto it over 6 months ago.
It was one of my favorite things to do because of the intelligent, witty, and occasionally ridiculous, conversations engaged in by (who knew!?) unicyclists!
Since Sarah brought up her objections to Jamey’s tribute to the heros of 911, I have seen a dramatic change.
I’m blown away by the maelstrom of ill will so many of you harbour against America … and not just foreign policies.
Many malicious remarks have been aimed directly at Americans/Yanks/whatever you wanna call the citizens of the USA (and, from what I’ve seen so far, I’m sure I would be sickened at what you’d come up with).
I realize that America bashing has become a favorite worldwide pastime.
I also realize that there are some effing good reasons to protest against many things our govenment has/hasn’t done!
But, it seems to me, for many of you, this has long since become a personal attack against all things America.
I have personal opinions as to why so many people are jumping on the bandwagon (many, for the wrong reasons).
I also believe that people hear what they want to hear.
They hear/see what bolsters their preset opinions.
All things are open to interpretation, and our own ‘beliefs’ color everything.
I seem to be heading off on a tangent, so rather than bore you, or piss you off, I’ll simply say that I am very saddened by what I’ve seen happening here …
(and I know that ‘here’ is a microcosm of society at large … which saddens me beyond the pale!)
Just shoot me and get it over with!

uniphiable

PS But what do I know …
I’m just an ( ********) American
You can insert your derogatory adjective of choice

Congratulations Leo. Two posts that had absolutely nothing to do with unicycling. If you’re not going to talk about the mixing of politics in freestyle performances at UNICON then take your conversation to the “Just Conversation” forum. That’s what that forum is for. Thank you.

OOPS! I am guilty of engaging in one of my pet peeves.
(unicycles are waaay cool)
I spoke in generalizations in my previous post.
(unicyclists are a rare breed)
All too often we (all of us … even you) are judged by the loudmouthed @holes who attract the attention of the press or who/what ever.
(one world … one wheel)
There were only a handful of forum members who appeared to be foaming at the mouth. (I said ‘appeared’).
(if i had a unicycle, I’d ride it in the morning. I’d ride it in the evening, all over this land …")

My point …
I’m sorry for going off like that.
I am, after all …
uniphiable

Unicycling has given me the opportunity to travel around the world. I enjoy learning from and about other cultures. I have the opportunity and privilege to do this because some people desired freedom. Freedom not just for themselves, but for others as well, and many paid for this freedom with their lives.

HISTORY question: What would have happened in the last 100 years through two world wars if the people of the United States had decided to “mind their own business” and stay home?

I personally believe that none of us would have the freedoms that we have. I hope we can take the responsibility that comes with freedom and start being responsible for how we react and respond to others here on our little electronic unicycling part of this world that we all share. Let’s all get off our pedestals and look at the facts…NO ONE is perfect, we ALL make mistakes. At the same time, if someone chooses, he/she is also capable of doing a lot of good.

I’ve always believed the unicycling community as a whole is full of great people that want to do good and are capable of learning from each other, helping each other and supporting each other. Is there any chance we could get back to this?

The United States only attended WW2 after the Japanese invitation. They didn’t crash the party

Re: Hypothetical Unicon Performance

Sofa wrote:
> The United States only attended WW2 after the Japanese invitation. They
> didn’t crash the party

Sshhh. Americans like to think they won the war in Europe all by
themselves. They forget about the 3 years of fighting and 6 years of
diplomacy that came before they got involved.

A colleague of mine has a GF who is a primary school teacher (ages 5-8).
She happens to have an American kid in her class who, during a history
lesson, refused to accept that World War 2 started in 1939, because his
parents had told him it started in 1942!


Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/
“A custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain,
dangerous to the lungs and in the black, stinking fume thereof nearest
resembling the horrible Stygian smoke of the pit that is bottomless” - James
I/VI on tobacco

I saw a thing on TV where they found a sunker Japanesse submarine, that was belived to be the first thing attacked at Pearl Harbor before the Japanesse launched their attack that morning.

Interesting. I saw a thing on TV where they examined a UFO sighting. Your point is? The UFO show was interesting as well, but forever turned me off to “UFO journalism” due to its obvious lack of application of the scientific method. Multiple videos were taken by various people of the lights in the sky, and the basic concept of triangulation was never mentioned.

I never heard the submarine story before. Was it a mini-sub? I think they had some real little ones that could sneak up and attach mines to ships very quietly. Two-man electrically powered ones.

In any case, even on my visit to Pearl Harbor last year, there was no mention of this so I don’t think it’s a very big part of the overall story. Though there were many warning signs, the American forces seem to have been caught in 1941 with their pants down. My rough guess is that Japan expected the U.S. to get involved in the war sooner or later, so they wanted to cripple our navy while it was an easy target. They did a fair job of this, as the war in the Pacific took a long time before it was clear who was winning.

Sorry, still off topic. A unicycle performance about this story would be very interesting (and pretty hard to do I think!).

JF

OT but if you’re interested John read this

Gary