Hunter Muni: Does anyone NOT recommend it?

There have been a couple recent threads on benefits/features of the high-end MUnis, i.e. Hunter, KH Pro, DM, Yuni frame w/ component upgrades, etc. Very helpful, but it’s still a lonely decision at the end of the day.

I’ve digested those threads as best I can without having ridden all the various models, and am about to $ettle on a 24" Hunter w/ Magura brake, Profile hub, 24x3 Gazz. I’ve ruled out the DM for just being way too much $$. The KH seems very cool, but the primary factors in my mind for the Hunter selection are less cost, strong recos from some Hunter owners I know, and general visual coolness of the design.

I’ve yet to hear anything bad about Hunters, but would welcome any dissenting points of view before I plunk down dollars I don’t really have…

Thanks, Tom

“Friendship is not made by a crisis–it is only revealed by it.”
Mark Adams

i to am contemplating a Hunter frame for my new Super 29er.i have never heard anything bad about them.the hang up people usually have is the non-flat crown.

im not going to be doing any gliding on a 29er so its a non issue for me.

about the only thing i can say thats slighty negative is you have run more brake line since its mounted farther to the rear but thats peanuts.

its nice to see that the price hasnt gone up on those in over a year.

another bonus to me is Hunter is located on the west coast and i will be ordering straight from Rick Hunter,only one state away for a change.

Re: Hunter Muni: Does anyone NOT recommend it?

The Hunter is a great, proven design. It’s bombproof - I’ve never heard of
anyone having a problem with them and there are probably more of these out
there than any other high-end Muni. The original prototype #1 from Dec 1997
is alive and well here. The only slight downside I know only applies if you
are getting brake bosses: he only uses the old-style single post braze-ons.
This is not quite as nice as the 2-bolt type that’s on the KH24, but of
course it works ok.

—Nathan

“tomblackwood” <tomblackwood.li7zz@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:tomblackwood.li7zz@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> There have been a couple recent threads on benefits/features of the
> high-end MUnis, i.e. Hunter, KH Pro, DM, Yuni frame w/ component
> upgrades, etc. Very helpful, but it’s still a lonely decision at the
> end of the day.
>
> I’ve digested those threads as best I can without having ridden all the
> various models, and am about to $ettle on a 24" Hunter w/ Magura brake,
> Profile hub, 24x3 Gazz. I’ve ruled out the DM for just being way too
> much $$. The KH seems very cool, but the primary factors in my mind for
> the Hunter selection are less cost, strong recos from some Hunter owners
> I know, and general visual coolness of the design.
>
> I’ve yet to hear anything bad about Hunters, but would welcome any
> dissenting points of view before I plunk down dollars I don’t really
> have…

the lack of posts to this thread is testament of how bomb proof Hunter frames are,but i was able to dredge up a thread where Gauss presented a mathematical issue.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17058&highlight=hunter

maybe there are some new thoughts about this,or maybe Guass could now run it through the ANSYS that he spoke of (what ever that is)

:slight_smile:

Gawd, what a thread. Thanks for sharing…it was a great read. I love the way he keeps saying “correct me if I’m wrong”, like I’d really be able to tell. Maybe if he can transcribe his equations into “caveman” I’ll be able to figure it out. :thinking:

I have to admit the DM frame visually would seem to make more sense for how the load is supported…plus it just has the cool lines…but I’m not seeing the extra $300 for coolness. After watching Big Joe bounce his Hunter all over Moab, I’m not worried about the strength issue for my body weight.

Mostly I wanted to spark up some KH vs. Hunter debate, since I’ve narrowed my final choice down to those two and am still undecided. In re-reading my first post, I see I could have been more clear on that point.

Thanks to all who shared…