hub issue (no nuts)

i want to find a hub that uses long bolts instead of nuts to hold the cranks on.like Profiles and most byke bottom brackets.

would be possible to modifiy a Suzie without hurting it?how hard would that be?

anyone know of a hub out there that already has this feature? (my old sold Coker had bolts but the hub was undesirable and skinny)

I really really wish the Taiwanese or Japanese folks would start making a good strong tapered hub that uses the now standard retaining bolt rather than the stupid old retaining nut.

For now the only option is to get a custom made hub from Steve Howard or Scott Bridgman. Steve has made a hub like that and so has Scott. Here is a picture and a thread about Scott’s hub
<http://www.muniac.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000022>

The retaining bolt design works better than our current retaining nut design (like on the Suzue). It’s time that the unicycle hub makers updated their designs.

It’s time that the unicycle hub makers updated their designs.

i know,but i dont think they will if people keep buying there stuff and there isnt any new designs available to compete.im hopeing to find one for this 29er (not so super) project.

Considering how long it took the unicycle industry to move beyond the cottered hub, I wouldn’t hold my breath for an improved tapered hub with a retaining bolt.

well im not holding my breath,but there was that one hub pictured on that Quax site.

i belive in that same thread Roger from uni.uk said he was working on getting some of them.update?

e_mnabe.jpg

If I could think of a way to hold a suzue hub in a bridgeport I might well try to cut off the bolts and drill and tap the sucker. I wouldnt have much to lose in the first place… but how to hold the bloody thing…

I had forgotten about the Qu-ax hub. Yes, we need Roger to get his hands on that hub and start stocking it. I just hope that the hub is built with strong steel and not the wimpy steel that some of the Tiawanese folks make their hubs from.

The hub can be seen here under spare parts
<http://www.qu-ax.de/index_1024E.html>

Re: hub issue (no nuts)

Some people never learn. I keep warning you about testicular cancer. You can’t say I didn’t tell you so.

wait a minute,it says that hub is “heavy duty Aluminium”?!

http://www.qu-ax.de/index_1024E.html

whats up with that?

I hope that is just a translation error.
Perhaps it’s an aluminum hub with a nice hardened steel axle. But that would create it’s own problems because you can’t weld aluminum to steel.
If the axle is aluminum then it’s a no-go.

Actually, after little discussion with my dad he let me use an old junker hub, of which the threads have been striped on. I plan to mill of the current threads, and drill and tap the ends for standard bolts with 8mm hex heads commonly used on bike bottom brackets. Should be an interesting project, and take a a few days at least. Ill let you guys know how it turns out.

The guy who runs Infinite Illusions, the juggling/yoyo site in florida had a Tiawanese knock-off of a profile hub at the last Groundhog Festival. He was getting them, complete with cranks, for about 125 dollars. The hubs looked very strong. carjug

i wonder if that knock off was an Onza hub.they are supposed to be available some year.

Is there a strength issue between nut- and bolt-type hubs? All the cotterless axles I’ve ever broken failed in the same area, near the base of the taper. I assume the bolt hole would pass through that area.

Wouldn’t the existence of the hole just speed up the metal-fatigue process?

To my knowledge, crank axles are not a weak point on bikes, so the fact that it works for them does not convince me. Does anyone know how it would hold up under unicycling conditions?

What makes the bolt-type better? Do the bolts stay on better?

talking of hubs, i saw a lovely DM custom splined hub that had a matching set of 125mm cranks. at bjc brighton.

i assume that the cranks were made by DM since as far as i’m aware you just cant buy 125mm splined cranks

the hub was made a bit like a suzue, the hub flanges are welded directly to the axle exept it had an splined axle.
to me this seems a better design than the profile hub which is basicly mix and match bmx parts modified to stick together.

if i’d had one of those instead of my profile hub i could have setled for just one unicycle instead of a trials uni with 145 cranks and a freestyle with 125s

The bolt hole is in the centre of the bolt, so that material doesn’t contribute much to bending and torsional strength. It will weaken the axle a bit, but not much.

The advantage of the bolts is that the bolt is much longer than a nut, so there are more threads carrying the load from tightening the bolt. This means that for the same tension the stress on the threads is much less, and you’re less likely to strip them.

Tim

Just hold the bearing diameter in the three jaw chuck and put a fixed steady on either the other bearing dia or the hub centre.

Re: hub issue (no nuts)

Yes will be stocking it and relatively soon.

Just back from Germany where met up with qu-ax. They have 3 hubs that are
all improvements.

1 Susue hub but made from CrMo and same width as Taiwanese hubs
2.Qu-Ax hub for cotterless cranks - again CrMo.
3.Qu-Ax splined hub - looks good comes with what looks like onza cranks.

We will be supplying all of these, both me and John. It will take a few
months.

Cheers

Roger

The UK’s Unicycle Source

----- Original Message -----
From: “john_childs” <john_childs.m78oz@timelimit.unicyclist.com>
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2003 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: hub issue (no nuts)

>
> I had forgotten about the Qu-ax hub. Yes, we need Roger to get his
> hands on that hub and start stocking it. I just hope that the hub is
> built with strong steel and not the wimpy steel that some of the
> Tiawanese folks make their hubs from.
>
> The hub can be seen here under spare parts
> <http://www.qu-ax.de/index_1024E.html>
>
>
> –
> john_childs - Guinness Mojo
>
> john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> john_childs’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/24725
>
>

> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>
>

are you thinking of a lathe chuck? i’v never heard of a bench based 3 jaw chuck. anyway I tried it and it’s too hardened for the tools we have at school, it ruins them.

After the threads on one of my Suzue hubs disappeared, I asked a friend who owns a machine shop if he could drill the hub for bolts. He put a file to the end of the axle and said the same thing. The metal was too hard for him to do it.