How's Dustin Kelm?

Has anybody heard anything about how Dustin Kelm is gettign along these days; how is his leg healing?

Re: How’s Dustin Kelm?

Hey Tommy, sorry I didn’t get back on your email…the “getting married” whirlwind is finally starting to calm down. I left Minnesota in mid Dec. for the west coast. Got hitched. Honeymooned. Returned to MN. Had a reception here in MN yesterday for those that couldn’t make it to Yachats Oregon for the wedding…

During that same time frame I’ve gone from crutches, to cane. Then during our honeymoon my cane broke when we were walking around downtown Seattle. I’ve been forced to really work on walking since then. I’m back to the Physical Therapist twice a week now and my strength is definitely improving, but I’m not strong enough to safely ride uni without risking some other injury.

The hardest things in PT right now are standing on a 5cm box with my left leg (the formerly broken one) and lowering my right heal to the floor by bending my left leg. This is quite difficult and painful. Try it, see how easy it is with a good leg and you’ll have some idea how weak my leg is and how far I have to go!

The second most difficult thing I mentioned in another post yesterday. That is balancing on my formerly broken leg for 30 seconds at a time. This also hurts like the dickens. It hurts all the muscles, bones and joints in my foot, ankle, leg and knee. I didn’t realize I was going to have pain in places other than what I broke. That’s what happens when they don’t get used for 10 weeks.

The prognosis is still good but I’ve got a long way to go. Still dreaming of riding uni’s again!

I’m glad that you are on up side of the injury. Glad to hear you are continuing with your PT. Good luck! Take you time in coming back to unicycling. Your leg has to last a long time.

Re: Re: How’s Dustin Kelm?

Congratulations! I hope she unicycles. :wink:

The Oregon coast is a great place. Open public beaches (there are no private beaches in Oregon) which means you can take long walks along the beach, good kite flying, great views, great beer. The Oregon coast is wonderful. I just wish the water was warmer.

The weather in Seattle has been great this winter. Hopefully you were here while the sun was out and the rain was not.

I would have to agree, the Oregon coast is quite a sight to see.

Thanks for the update, glad to here your getting along ok…
Hang in there Dustin, and keep it up!

Re: Re: How’s Dustin Kelm?

<sorry4 off-topic>

but I’m curious:

what is isa? an (english) abr. for a bible chapter or for a quality of sevice rating? or…?

</sorry4 off-topic>

Re: Re: Re: How’s Dustin Kelm?

Isaiah 40:29-31 NIV
[29] He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
[30] Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
[31] but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

well…, amen.

!hmm, I have an english bible over here.

Isaiah 40:29-31 NIV
[29] He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
[30] Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
[31] but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Dustin is a religious man…

Damn I was beaten to it

LOL. Click, Copy, Paste, Submit Reply.

I thought I would revive this topic and see how the last 3 months have been going for Dustin. At my daughters unicycling club most don’t have e-mail and just learned about the accident.

Ron