how young is too young?

I know some kids can learn at a early age. Want is the average age that a child is too young to ride?
Just for an idea for what I’m working with.

hmm

Id say around 7 but for that u would need a 16’’ unicycle dont try to teach a 7 year old on a 20’’ ur gonna ahve a hard time

Wasn’t there something about an 18 month old riding. I havne’t seen that but I have seen a couple of 3 year olds on 12" unicycles

A handfull of kid have learned to unicycle as soon as they could walk. I’d say 2 years is a good age to start, and see if they take to it. If not wait a while. Who knows, you could have a unicycling baby prodigy!

One of my daughters learned fairly quickly and easily on a 20" at the age of 5. My other kids have all been somewhat slower, but we are all individuals so I don’t think you could say there is an average earliest or even an optimum age to start learning. They will learn when they want to and when they are mentally prepared for it, if at all. No child is average.

I wish I’d had the opportunity to learn at age 5, but I might not have wanted to then.

Chris

Deja Vu,

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14461

I think that 12 months is too young. But by 18 months I think a child has the necessary coordination and balance to learn to uni.

I meant to test that theory on my son (now 5) but I didn’t. My daughter just turned 1 so I guess the scientist in me still has a chance.

I honestly believe that learning to walk is more difficult than learning to ride a unicycle.

-mg

Re: how young is too young?

I think if you have the ballance skills necessary to walk you have developed enough ballance to begin learning to ride.

That said maybe a better question is what age is the BEST age to learn to ride. Best could mean a number of things (or even a combination of the following)

BEST = easiest
BEST = safest
BEST = quickest
BEST = most enjoyable
BEST = most likely to continue riding

This will vary from person to person but I think if I child shows an interest and wants to learn to ride they should be given an opportunity. From my observations students around the age of 10-13 seem to pick up unicycling faster than adults or younger children but that is a VERY general rule to which there are many exceptions.

The fact that the youngest unicyclist to reach level 10 was 9 years old shows that it is possible to get extremely good at unicycling at a relatively young age.

Tony Torchia from universe2 (my brother) learned to ride when he was 4.

i have decided to learn, I’m twelve, is it hard to learn?
also I think that children that young should start on two wheels.

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:36:14 -0500, “peter.bier” wrote:

>From my observations students around the age of 10-13 seem to pick up
>unicycling faster than adults or younger children but that is a VERY
>general rule to which there are many exceptions.

From my statistics study
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn_short.htm> this is not really
true.

I have seen the claim about an 18 months old riding before. Does
anyone know where to find any proof for it?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Unicycling is like glue: you have to stick with it, and it’s not to be sniffed at - Mikefule”

One of my daughters learned to ride her 16" Torker when she was 5, and before she knew how to ride a bike. We got her a bike for her 6th birthday (she had one with training wheels before) and now she knows how to ride both. I think she took to learning the unicycle more quickly than the bicycle because of the speed of the machine when she was learning. She was definitely uncomfortable with the concept of building speed to become more stable on a bike, and very comfortable with balancing on a uni at relatively low speeds.

–unidaddy

If I recall correctly, the youngest member of TCUC to learn to ride was a 3 and 1/2 year old girl.

My 10 month old has his own unicycle, but right now all he can is drool on it.

Give them a bike and a uni, let them decide, and if htey choose hte bike slap them, continue till they get it right!

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:43:48 -0500, “Jethro” wrote:

>My 10 month old has his own unicycle, but right now all he can is drool
>on it.

Please keep us posted.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Unicycling is like glue: you have to stick with it, and it’s not to be sniffed at - Mikefule”