How/when did you get into Unicycling

My younger son and a friend of his started riding a few years ago, and last Christmas I was stuck for ideas for my mum to buy me so I thought I’ll give unicycling a go.
She bought me a basic 20" model and three months later I bought a 26" Nimbus Muni.
I’m now trying to ride all the trails on it that I used to on my MTB.
It’s hard work but sooooo much fun.

I can thank NWD1 and Kris Holm… Thanks

I saw a monkey on a unicycle on TV(cartoons) and I had no idea what i wanted for my birthday, and ever since I skipped third grade and was 1 or + year(s) younger than the rest of my class, I’ve had no choice but to be different, now I do it for fun! So I figured since I had never seen anyone mention a unicycle before(that’s a lot–we had a unicycle on our book cover and it was the easiest class ever for everyone, not just the smart ones or idiots) it was the perfect thing for me! Of course, there was a loophole(actually 2), but I didn’t give it(them) so much thought, to build suspense I’ll tell (both) later…Anyways, one day, sometime around October 25(2005), November 1 was my birthday, we took a LOONG 2 1/2 hr. trip to see my uncle. On the trip back, we stopped by a cycle shop(I had heard my Dad talk about how he’s heard about a shop that sells the unicycles before, no one else had any idea were to find them besides the Internet) so, since it was a long trip, and I woke up early, and it was a Sunday, so naturally, I was sleepy, and they picked the best time to surprise me, when I’m sleepy, I forget everything–one time I forgot my name but remembered once I washed my face, it wakes me up, and, well, there was no sink–so they just took me in the store(Lopez M. I don’t remember what the M stood for, it just said L.M. and the M. was a bike.) and there was a guy holding a unicyle(imitation Sun 16") and Mom just asked, “Do you fit there?” and I was speechless(sorta like “OK, I’m up now, what do I say?”) and then , with tons of help, I got on the unicycle.I fit just right on the size it was. I was like, “Thank you!” so…excited! I began trying to learn the next day, I got on from the step’s handrail(downstairs) and tried to ride off, which, obviously, I didn’t(the next loophole–my cerebellum is tinier than usual, and that’s the part of the brain that receives information about balance, I had learned to ride a bike barely 3 yrs. ago, and I was ten now(at the time that happened)…whoops!) this hobby was the one that took me the longest to learn the basics, but the most wothwhile and fun, so, next day, and the whole next two weeks, I kept practicing, every day less and less, and eventually, there was a week I didn’t ride, I rode, after that week, I could almost ride the length of the handrail, but no I didn’t, and a few days later, February 5th(2006), to be exact, we went to a skate park, and there was a rail…I rode my 50 meters! About two weeks after that, I took my uni to school, and two MORE weeks after that I didn’t ride for about four MORE weeks(around May) and in June I got bored and tried to ride again. Then it "clicked."I dodn’t stop riding ever since. Now it’s almost a year since that October and I still have no idea what to ask for my birthday…maybe another unicycle…or I’ll leave that for Christmas and ask for a camcorder…I have no idea! Man I could make a history book with this post alone, and to think it was a quick reply!

**By the way, ian.stockwell what is your avatar?I think it’s a banana and my brother thinks it’s chocolate and now I think we’re both right!

saw a Kris holm video…

Saw Kris Holm on a tv show a few months ago. I actually rode for a month
or so when I was 18. Looked around on the internet, then lurked on this forum. Asked a bunch of questions.

Got my 24 in Torker LX for Fathers Day on June 12 (3 months ago today).
Am now riding at least 2 miles every morning.

–Tom

I‘ve started about 18 years ago, on a circus course for children. By that people usually think I could ride pretty much better than I actually do, but I use the skills I have for performing, mixing that whit comedy.

I‘ve had quite good unicycles all those years, like a pichelerrad, a sam cycle - the best so far - and a K1, and I‘m just about to get two new K1s, a devil and a free tricks.

That‘s it

I started riding in Oct of 05. Brian MacKenzie, and a few other riders were in North Bay, and seeing them got me really excited to learn. So, Brian lent me one of his, and I learned quickly. I then bought my Muni in Nov. Now I’m riding a Coker, and I love it.

My cousin got me really into uni-ing, and then I got to be a member at this site, bought myself a CX during the summer, and learned to ride it within a month. I now also have a Nimbus Trials, and am learning some trials stuff.

since i didn’t have my car license i rode pretty much everything i could. i also was made novelty bikes, so then one day i decided to try something different and went out and got a uni. then a few months later i got a 24" Muni. now i pretty much like Muni but i still do freestyle and trials.

Wow, he does go pretty big, and fast:D

Last October I read about a study that was done and suggested doing balance skills made you smarter. I thought, “I can use every edge I can get! Now I’m already riding my bike almost everywhere. How can I take things up a notch? Elliminate a wheel! YEAH RIGHT!!!” But it got me curious and I started looking things up online and saw this photo.
A couple of weeks later I discovered I could ride my bike with no hands, so I told myself “If I can ride a bike with no hands it’s possible that maybee I can ride a unicycle.” Then I saw all the incredible trailers at UDC and said to myself “I’ve got to get into this!”.

At the bigining of April I got a DX 24". Now I have three (one given to me by a random person while I was practicing), and anqiously awaiting my Pedalo balance trainer which should be here any day now!:smiley:

How do you insert photos directly to the forum?

Resize your photo to a maximum width of 640 pixels as a courtesy to the other members. When you are replying or starting a new thread, first add your text, then scroll down to the manage attachments button. Browse your computer for the resized photo you just made and attach it. Then submit the reply.

Here are some similar threads:

WHY?

HOW?

HOW AND WHEN?

I used the advanced search function for these few results, titles only, RSU only, keyword=start. Many threads have been started with this question being asked and you could find many of them with a different search technique. The search function can give you many more responses than you will ever get in one thread and it is a good feature to learn to use.

If you ask a question that has been asked many times before, some of the interesting responses and stories won’t be posted in your thread. People tire of answering the same question repeatedly.

i started reding about 3 or 4 mouts agow im a mtb er so i thought that uni would help me with balince and it did and i love my uni:) :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I think it’s time someone gave the poor old Torker CX a little credit. Mostly all that’s said about the CX is unfavorable but there are probably more people who have learned on a CX than on all other’s put together. Granted that it won’t take the abuse that advanced riding involves. It’s still a great uni to learn on and with it’s price, it’s the gateway that brings the lifeblood of new unicycleists into the sport.

ive never ridden one i learned on a savage which is probably worse or just as bad. jk they are okay for learning but have horrible seats.

I got sent to Riverside Military Academy in gainsville, Ga and everyday after school we were forced to do some activity like soccer or football or basebal…i played soccer and my comp sci teacher (maj. carpender) brought his uni out one day. i spend about a week learning on his 24" schwinn. it was the only thing that kept me sane in that place.

I used to ride freestyle BMX. I figured if I could ride wheelies as far as I wanted, I could probably ride a unicycle.

I had a gilfriend who was a circus performer, she took mehere
what can i say, i got inspired and unicycling was sweet.
i was just plain riding around for about 8 months before i even realised that there was more than just going from A to B. Thanks for the insight unicyclist.com

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to learn to ride a unicycle and do you think plain unicycle riding is harder than riding the wheelies or vice versa?

nice we actully have a pro performer here does rock salute and head bangs