How to remove metal studs from pedals?

How do you remove the metal studs from standard issue Nimbus pedals? Someone here said doing it was easy, but neither I nor a very handy friend of mine has a tool the right size to handle what looks like the tiny nuts attaching the metal studs.

Here’s the Nimbus pedal I’m talking about. UDC doesn’t give it a particular name:

How to remove metal studs from pedals

They are 6mm on my 26” Nimbus Muni

Also if a 6mm wrench or socket is not available a 15/64" wrench or socket is essentially the same size.

Thank JimT and lowerstackmac, I’ll go looking for one of those.

Rubber Pedals

Would it not be easier to just swap pedals for a pair of cheap rubber pedals.
When you have learned to ride you will probably want to swap back to the nimbus ones anyway.

Seconded. Nice grippy pedals are the best of the easy upgrades for any unicycle once you’re no longer afraid of injuring yourself on them. Pedals that are designed to have studs may have inadequate grip without them.

Another thing to consider is that the Nimbus ‘Studded’ Plastic Pedals are quite benign compared to many studded pedals. That are easy to adjust your feet when riding and should not cut the skin nearly as easy as most studded pedals.

Jim

I agree. Keep those pedals as-is, and get a cheap pair of pedals with a more “friendly” texture. They will most likely last a very long time.

If you like the pedals other than the studs then those exact same pedals are also available studless. They’re Wellgo model B107. There’s also a Nimbus branded version.

Hmm, that’s good to know. I do like them well enough otherwise, though I have no idea if I would like something else better or worses, studs aside.

Who cares that they are sharp. Ur not likely to riding bare-footed, right. I wear very flat-sole shoes, so pins that bite into the soles are quite nice. Because the soles themselves are flat, as soon as I move my foot a little bit up, it will get free of the pedal and I can reposition or hop off in case of an emergency.

I care if they’re sharp because I got some pretty deep gouges going when I fell backwards and the area below my calf pressed my weight into the studs and dragged it, I guess. More than once within my first half hour of practice ever. Nothing I read or saw prepared me for that. It was all reassurance and “just take care of your shins.”

Anyway, something like three weeks later it’s still not completely healed. I don’t care about the pain but I can’t take being put back three weeks at a time for every half hour of practice too casually or I’ll never get any practice in at all. Life moves on. I don’t want to wait till I’m 80 to be competent.

Also, I don’t wear flat-soled shoes after reading a lot of threads saying you shouldn’t and raving about grippy soles and grippy pedals too. I went out and bought extra-grippy trail shoes with ankle protection as often recommended. I’m just a beginner here but I’m trying my best to make sense of things and take good advice.

If anything, I’ve been strongly considering not using such grippy shoes, changing to less grippy pedals, or both.

Keep your shoes and ss mentioned before, change the pedals and keep the studded ones. You will put them back on if you go for Muni some day. A good idea is too lock for a BMX shop. They have tons of pedals at a reasonable price. Get some Plastic ones without metal studs/pins.

I belive you have plenty of similar shops like this in the US:

Although the studs are rounded they can still tear the skin. I shredded my right shin recently. I had changed to a longer crank setting and misjudged my mount.

As I jumped onto the unicycle the pedal came around too fast and caught me on my shin resulting in several gashes as my shin slid along the pedal :astonished:

If your afraid of damaging your shins, you should think about wearing shin guards :

Naturally as the others suggest just screw on diff pedals. I learned uni-ing on a cheap toy-shop unicycle, which didn’t have pins. I bought my first more serious uni, the KH26 after a month or so - by the time I could ride a few laps on a parking lot without getting cramped legs anymore. So far I’ve only had 3 or 4 times in my 3 years of riding where I had pedal bite. I ride very carefully, mostly just distances.

Yep. Shin guards are a good idea. I wear them for Muni but stopped wearing them for road riding which is what I was doing when I injured my shin.

I’m going to wear shin guards from now on even when road riding. :slight_smile:

Look at these dangerous pedals