How to learn unicycling ?

If UDC UK will do me a two for the price of one deal then I will! :smiley:

I’m looking forward to seeing if the KH Fusion seat is more comfy than the UDC Nimbus gel seat. I’ll let you know.

I was actually kind of disappointed with the KH Fusion seat today. A lot of sitting in the same position made my butt a little sore. If I got off and changed positions a little bit it was fine, but would then come back.

We’ll see I guess. It’s at least much more comfortable than my POS seat before. I road about a mile and a half today.

a different seat really makes a world of difference. my ebay uni had a somewhat warped hard pos seat, and now with my nimbus 20" and it’s gel saddle it’s like from going economy class in a third world country to first class all the way.

crap i didn’t mean to submit yet. oh well new post.

I’m currently playing around a little with trying to freemount with my right foot starting on the pedal (as i currently mount with my left). i doubt anyone will ever convince me that the way to go is to not focus on ‘learning to mount’ but rather ‘learning to idle’. so i change what i just said… i’m actually trying to learn to idle with the right foot down. I mount with my left foot down and also idle with my left foot down, and so if i want to stop and idle it has to be on a revolution where my left foot is at 6 o’clock and i’d like to be more in control and own the uni more so now it’s time to work on the right foot at 6 o’clock. (i’m also playing around with going backwards which is both interesting and a bit scary depending on how i end-up bailing).

to me mounting and idling are basically one in the same technique, but mounting just starts you off the uni before you cut into the idle.

it really is like starting all over again, but this is how i’m doing it for those of you who may still be trying to figure out the whole mount/idle deal (i originally learned on my pos 24", but i’m now on the 20" so this is all 20" related i guess but should be the same fairly regardless of wheel size)…

it’s all about comfort, sensitivity, balance, and muscle memory. the cranks go to 12 and 6, you jam the seat between your legs as comfortably as you can, and you put your foot on the pedal while the other foot is somewhere in-line behind the other pedal and / or the tire. to get some sense of comfort with this position you spend a little while just doing small hops off the ground so that your weight is totally on the pedal and you are able to go from one foot standing on the ground to putting all the weight onto the pedal without falling all over the place, to then being back in the starting position with one foot back on the ground. I used to almost fall over just by putting my right foot on the pedal it was that strange in feeling and my balance just wasn’t geared for this opposite starting position just yet. now what you want to do is try to get a feel of how much energy to use when leaving the ground and where to direct it so that you are teetering just behind the absolute balancing point of being above the uni on one foot. there’s no use trying to mount if you are sending your weight too far to one side or too far forward as you are likely to have to bail before even getting the other foot on the pedal, and if you can get the initial balance right it gives you more time and makes it easier to get up on the uni.

once you get comfortable with how the uni is positioned against your body and have a sensitivity to how to get close to balancing above it on one foot you can now start trying to tap your launching foot onto the pedal and then land back down where you started as before. this part is just as simple as that… you want to be trying to move up above the uni on one pedal as close to the balance point as you can and then bring the other foot up to gently stamp the pedal quickly, and then as you start to fall back you land where you started. this helps to now get you comfortable with having to both move your weight in a controlled manner above the uni so as not to fall over and also now to begin getting the other foot in position, but all without actually having to commit to anything else just yet and having too many things to do all at once and just getting frustrated with it all coming together wrong and failing.

the next step is to build from this and now try to move the top pedal back a little when you bring your foot up to it. this stage requires you to now get a feel for putting some of the weight onto your top foot (as keeping all your weight dead on the bottom foot and then trying to rock the top pedal back feels horrible and wrong as you no doubt have found or will find). once you have done this for awhile you should find that you become more comfortable with redistributing your weight between your feet and are able to get some control of the top pedal and actually rock it back a little without it feeling awkward. it shouldn’t be 50/50 between your feet, you still want the low foot to take the larger portion of your weight but at the same time you don’t want to be driving that foot into the center of the earth with all your might as you’ll find it difficult to rock the top pedal.

if you get this far all you have left really is to expand on this and go for a few rocking motions back and forward while staying balanced above the uni… if you get this far, congratulation, you are now idling. now you just need to work on how far forward and back and which way to point the uni to keep yourself balanced above it without tipping over.

… now if you can mount to an idle then surely you can sit your butt on the seat and pedal forward out of the idle. and clearly if you can do that, you can mount to then simply pedal away without idling if you don’t wish to.

… and if you can do all that, then you rock and all the chicks will flock to you and cry out to get your attention hoping that some day they can make a man of you (even if you are a woman they will make a man of you, oh yeah!). or something like that.

• disclaimer : any typos or bits that don’t make sense i blame on what i’m drinking at the moment -

Hi just got my uni very recently, I read somewhere but cant remember where that in no circumstances should i ride on grass. So question is, is it better to learn on grass or on concrete ?

Smooth concrete is the easiest thing to ride on. Smooth grass is harder and bumper grass can be pretty tricky.

No reason not to try riding on grass but it’s easier to learn on concrete.

I started on grass… It’s good for confidence, but once I realized most falls leave me on my feet, I just moved to concrete and it helped so so much.

thks a lot

I find that it is helpful to be wearing leg pads and gloves on concrete. It just gives you that confidence boost to help you progress a little faster (and avoid pain!).
Speaking of pain. I am thinking of giving up the uni until spring. I just can’t seem to heal up and I think I will need more than a few weeks to get my back and ankle feeling up to scratch. I will miss it a lot but I just seem to tweak things even when I take it easy.:frowning:

k, got all the equipment ( glove, knee pad, elbow pad, helmet ). Used to snakeboard and rollerblade a lot. But really, falling is not an issue for me. come on, it must be easier than on rollerblade or snakeboard when your feets are strap to the wheels/decks. I am a slow elarner so will probably take 6 month before i can really be comfortable on this half bicycle/death wheeled object.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I like it! :smiley:

I feel like a slow learner too and it’s taken me a good while but it’s a great feeling as you keep improving and things do get easier. The trouble is then there are new challenges!

@burnerdave and all the others: I have taken the time to create a new video. I hope you like it.

Wow Hugo, that is so nice! You have some beautiful scenery there.

Nice smooth riding! You look very comfortable. Is that a 29"?

Nope. 24" QU-AX Muni (3.0" Duro Wildlife Tyre) with KH Moment 137/165 Dual Cranks and KH Freeride saddle.

That 24" looks like fun. Didn’t you get a 29er as well?

Yes. But the 29" is more for long distance in flat terrain. The 24" with the 3.0 tyre gives me much more grip and control.

Hey, this thread seems to have gone awfully quiet; is everyone out riding?

I guess I’ve been riding for about 6 months seriously now, hmm can you ride a Uni seriously? :smiley: I spent a while before that not trying very hard to learn on a borrowed 20".

Now at the stage where I can usually freemount, ride reasonable distances ( a few miles) and handle rough terrain and gentle uphills and steeper downhills. I wouldn’t call any of it proper technical Muni yet but reasonable cross-country.

Now trying to learn to idle, ride backwards and start hoping so I can tackle some more serious Muni.

I’m fortunate to have recently acquired a KH24" Muni and am very impressed with how much difference it makes compared to the Nimbus I 24" I learnt on. I’m sure a lot of the difference is having a better tyre, especially as it’s been soggy here, but it’s a real beast.

Hope everyone else is making good progress.

Hi Gadge,
Oh yeah, still riding! Still reading the forum and watching all the videos…Hugo’s and the rest !
I haven’t posted anything in a while…I’m just out there rollin’ along.
The temperature is now around 12 to 20C every day which makes riding a lot more comfortable than in the summer heat.

Gadge
I’m not riding anymore this year. I’ve been off the uni for about a month trying to properly recover from injuries. My ankle sprain seemed to heel but I think that it led to an achilles tendon problem because it was weak (and I seem to be getting old :p). Hockey season starts tomorrow and I don’t want to have to miss out on that. I miss it a lot but I’m looking forward to next spring. I went for a walk today on one of the trails I was riding and I spent half my time imagining I was riding my uni.
I’m saving up for a 29er or a 36er to ride in the spring to so I will probably do less hopping and more cruising.
I still follow this thread regularly. You are doing great! I would love to learn backwards riding.