How to learn unicycling ?

nubcake

I started on a 26 inch Torker LX because I wanted to ride moderate distances and I am 70 inches tall (5"10"). I ride with the seat adjusted so my leg is almost completely extended when the pedal is at the bottom. I put the ball of my foot on the pedal.
When I rode with the Twin Cities Unicycle Club they suggested continuing my learning on a 20, especially for parades because they are more maneuverable. That is true. The 20 is lighter, more maneuverable, and I guess a little easier to ride, but boy do you have to pedal faster. I feel like a clown in an act sometimes.
The 26 is a little harder to mount. I have a heavy tire on my 26 so it takes some energy to ride distances.
I guess it would have been better to start to learn on a 20. Many people use a 24 in the Twin Cities Unicycle Club to go moderate distances and to ride in parades.
gina

Stop being a panzee and just sit on the damn thing and pedal. You’re supposed to put forth a lot of effort.

wow suddenly i feel energized and confident as hell after that.

I DO (/ did. distracted with other forms of entertainment atm)! but there’s no point doing all the right things, but also doing something extra that thwarts all your efforts and you don’t realise it; hence my question.

so in not being a pansy (notice the spelling. you’re welcome) does that mean i shouldn’t wear my dress when i ride?

nubcake

Kilts are good

next you’ll be saying bagpipes are great :confused:

Hmmmm…bagpipes while unicycling in kilts. That could work. :smiley:

:smiley: I should try that someday. :smiley:

What a rush!

HAHAHAHA,
Unicycle are great! Jeez, I’m getting there slowly but surely. I’m even calling in sick at work once in a while so I can get more practice in.

Damn thing is I can only practice indoors now because it’s cold outside, 3 degrees celcius (that’s about 32 F). So I’m stuck learning in the basement which isn’t too bad. I’ve got one wall that I’ve cleared away that is about 35 feet long. It just gets a bit iffy as I approach the wall. I did learn two things though. First, never end a practice session on a low note like after getting mad after too many falls. I take a minute to compose myself, and get on again and get at least one more ‘good’ roll done so I can end on a high note. Second, you have to face forward but your eyes need “stuff” to see to balance. My walls were bare so I was looking straight at a big blank wall with just a small window near the top. So I hung some junk on it, and some stuff jutting out from the wall for depth. I think that may helped a lot in improving my balance over the last few days.

probably a similar thing to what i have experienced at night.

nubcake

check this out:http://www.bagpipeweb.com/?p=1046

nubcake

Or, check this out: http://www.utilikilts.com/index.php?page_id=46utilikilts.

you… you scare me now.

the guy on the uni : such a mixed bag. cool and uncool at the same time. guess that makes him just another average person when you add them together :stuck_out_tongue:

slight incline

try pushign off going down on a slight incline. A lot of the people I’ve “taught” seemed to learn faster trying while headed down a slight incline.

Slow progress

Any ideas on how to become less dependent on the wall? I can zoom along with my hand dragging on the wall for about 20 feet or so, shaky but getting it. I’m wondering if I’m learning lopsided because I tend to tilt in a bit toward the wall like I’m cycling at 88 degrees, not totally vertical. Without a wall on the otherside I can’t really keep centered vertically. I suppose I’ll get it sooner or later, but I hope I don’t get into some irreversable bad habit. As it is, I’m better at going along with the wall on my right side rather than the left, so now I’m making sure I do both directions 50/50. I still can’t let go of the wall and go more than 2 revolutions in a semi controlled fall though.

nubcake

Yes, but oh so talented. The only thing he is missing is the kilt.
Gina

burnerdave

You may not be ready to go it alone. Sounds as if you just haven’t quite figured how to completely balance yet. Continue to move away from the wall a little at time. Soon you will go two controlled revolutions, then four then six and so on. You will feel more and more in control as you practice. Soon you’ll just ride near it, but won’t have to touch it. Try riding in other places, maybe near a railing.
Yes, depending on a support can pull you slightly to one side. Try to sit upright as much as possible and don’t lean toward the wall. Riding each direction is good.
Keep trying and don’t give up. You are progressing in the right direction. Give it more time. You’ll get it.
Gina

I think you have reached the point where it’s time to lose the wall altogether.
When I reached that moment you’re at (also easier w/ wall on the right), I’d stop using the wall to keep balance and instead I’d reach out to shove myself away from the wall and go off in the other direction. I didn’t get too far at first but the wall dependency was gone inside of 20 minutes. Just make sure you’ve got a big space to head into because your directional control will be totally non-existant. Once you’ve been away from the wall a few times, you’ll never want to go back to it and you’ll feel so free.

Unless you need an assisted mount. :slight_smile:

Like what

• Stilts
  • Ski stilts
  • Poles
  • tennis court wall
  • etc

OK, this is amazing. Yesterday I got a 20" trials uni (from Bedford) for my kid, who want to learn to ride. I can’t believe the difference after being on the 24! It is a lot easier to control the 20" and I am able to go some distance (still out of control though) witout using the wall to support me. It’s also a shorter distance to fall off!
Would you suggest I try to nail it on the 20" then go back to the 24", or stick with the 24? One good thing about the 20" is that I can get a lot more revolutions before running out of space! I like the 24" because of the distance I’ll be able to cover … eventually.
Thanks for the advice Gina and Matt. I think for now I’m more inclined to follow Gina’s advice and take it a bit slower rather than push off into the unknown. It’s just more my style to take it slower!
Thanks.

[QUOTE=BurnerDave]

Would you suggest I try to nail it on the 20" then go back to the 24", or stick with the 24?

You are in the same postion I was in a short time ago. I learned on a 26" because I wanted to ride distances. I was difficult for me to learn. When I went to St. Paul, Mn. the riders in the Twin Cities Unicycle Club suggested I try to learn on a 20" since it would be easier to ride and more maneuverable to ride in the parades I wanted to ride in with the club while I was there.
20" was easier for me to ride than a 24" or 26". You must peddle faster, but a 20" is faster to respond, easier to maneuver and less effort to peddle and there is less weight near the ground, so you may feel a little top-heavy. I would suggest you stick with the 20" until you feel more confident. You will know when you are ready to try the 24" again. You will find the 20" too easy after a while and you will be ready for more of a challange. Yes, a 24" is a little smoother than a 20".
So far as the wall goes, yes, I could have left the wall earlier, but I would have fallen much, much more. It may have taken me longer to learn, but I did not fall very often. You will become steadier as your brain , inner ear and muscles learn coordinate together and learn to balance. You will start with a few revolutions that seem like controlled falls, but as I said before it will improve. You will go farther and farther without touching the wall and you will gain control. After a while the wall will seem to be in the way and you won’t need it any longer. Keep at it and let us know how it is going.