How to learn unicycling ?

Indeed Hugo the work you seem to be putting towards idling is astonishing! I’ve been riding near 3 months and wish I had the determination of putting my effort into that as I know it would pay off, but hell jumping is more fun :smiley: . I enjoyed the video very much, and the “Daniel Powter Song”. (correct me if I’m wrong)

Congrats, Hugo, on being the 500th post on this thread!

Augustdreamt…did you manage to get out for a ride at Fountainhead?

Oh thanks.

I tried a dropping today. It is easier than I thought. Just jump and land.

MOVIE0004_01_0004.jpg

Hugo Im new into unicycling too I saw your movies and it seems like you are praticing hard.
I have already learnt many thing but I can ride SIF can you ride SIF hugo?

No I can’t. Although I did not try so far. Maybe I should…

And here is the latest video

Just correcting my other reply I CANT ride SIF maybe i should try practicing it hard too.
Hugo I really enjoy watching your movies.

Wow!

To be honest. That is still nothing. But I can’t do it better at this point in time. I am only posting this to encourage other beginners. Show this to others who can do unicycling for some time. They will be bored.

Yeah, but it’s still great, oh (modest) Hugo!!!:slight_smile: I’m still just riding around my neighborhood and on the bike paths along the Ottawa River. Granted, I’m not trying to learn anything new yet, I’m happy as a pig in poo just riding around, but I enjoy your videos and they are egging me on to try new stuff! I must try to do curbs soon.

Dave

Status report and suggested plan for further progress

My cranks are the ones that came with the Nightrider, 152mm - see the specs here at UDC UK:

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=1069

As for training, I’ve spent a total of 16 hours divided among 7 sessions on different days over a period of about 5 weeks. It’s been a week since my last session now, I hope to get out again tonight or tomorrow night.

The two last times I rode I managed to ride up to 85 meters before UPDing (30 revolutions of the 36" wheel) and I also managed almost a half circle when trying to turn - the radius on that parking lot is a bit too small for me, but I think it is good practice in addition to simply riding straight. I’ll have to learn how to turn anyway since I cannot really ride much longer than 85 meters without either going up a slight hill (I got about halfway so far) or turning.

The other option is of course going out on a road to ride longer, but currently that is out of the question since I cannot freemount and I’m nothing near stable so it would be dangerous even on a quiet road, then I’d have to dismount at the slightest sign of a car, and I would also be embarrassed to UPD in front of people.

So I need more practice riding in the parking lot. Probably I should keep riding there until I consistently ride the entire length of it, preferrably also manage to go up the slight hill and up on the road in front of the building, and even turn around so I can just go around and around in the parking lot. Once I am there, I would feel safe enough to get out and go riding somewhere else.

What do you guys think of that plan?

Day 8: Maxed out distance record at Huffman Prairie - time to move on?

So I was out today :slight_smile:

I practiced for 2,5 hours, increasing my total time to 18,5 hours over 8 sessions. And I increased my total distance in a session from 1 km to 2,7 km, setting a new distance record for a single run of 117 meters (!) and in the process of doing that I had to climb that little hill. I was fairly balanced and I was able to recover at least a few times from what looked like imbalances that would surely lead to UPDs last time I rode, plus I can stop and start again while riding (usually not by purpose, but I can also do it on purpose).

Thus I am thinking that even if I cannot free mount, I am ready for the “open spaces”. Unless I learn to make sharp turns I cannot really make longer rides than about 100 meters in this parking lot. Today I literally went from one edge of the pavement to the other edge at the far side, going half way around the building in the process - the other half of the building is surrounded by grass and bushes… So without more turns and zigzags it is not possible to ride longer than 117 meters there.

PS: See my journal for more details :slight_smile:

Day 9: Leaving Huffman Prairie

So I had another session today and I went to a much bigger parking lot, set a new distance record of 450 meters (or so, I used my car’s odometer) going from one end to the other, plus I managed to do a full circle and return to my starting point - that ride was probably over 100 meters. I did the maximum ride 3 times and I had several shorter rides of about 200 and less.

Getting a better feel for the balance but I still have problems keeping a steady speed. If I try ti sit down in the saddle I lean forward and accelerate, and then I have to force the pedals slower and lean back, resulting in a near standstill.

At least it is a great workout for the legs…

With 2 more hours today I have passed 20 hours total, and for the first time I think a decent percentage of the time was actually in the saddle. Perhaps 25-30% (perhaps I am exaggerating, I didn’t have a stopwatch).

All right, good luck to you all!

I’ve been out of town for a week at a course in a First Nations traditional camp. Before I left, I was working on SIF hopping and I was able to hop up 9 inches SIF. I find that the seat bangs on my leg SIF and I get bruises on the front of my leg in the middle of my thigh.
I brought my uni to camp and spent a little time trying to do 180 unispins but I found that my ankles were sore so I mostly just rode around this week. A couple of other teachers expressed interest in learning to uni which would be cool because I would like to ride with some other people.

Today I worked on rolling hops and i can now do rolling hops onto a pallet. :slight_smile:
After that I worked a bit on SIF but I am kind of worn out this weekend so I went for a ride. I was able to go twice as far before my legs turned to jelly.
I am thinking of making a video.

Three posts in a row…
I just finished a video of a session I had today. A sort of one month celebration. I was pretty tired by the time I filmed this but I had fun. So did my dogs.:slight_smile:

Yi-haaa! Nice video.

VERY nice. You seem to be very talented. Although the dog seems to be aware that there may be deep-flying unicycles coming along… :wink:

Thanks for the encouragement.
I enjoy taking my dogs out when I go for a muni ride. They are fairly well behaved. I had a great muni ride today. I feel so much more in control. I kind of wish I had a 24" uni for trails but I don’t think that will happen soon. I think I might build up an indoor wheelset for my nimbus though, because the season is so short here.
I bought some basketball high tops because I have been having so many ankle troubles. i think it helps but I do notice a loss of sensitivity to the pedals.

I am heading off to play at the Dawson City Music Festival this weekend and I am bringing my uni. i love that unis are so portable. I am bringing our small car because of gas prices and it doesn’t take up much space.

I got my unicycle today (Torker LX 24") and I would just like to say I have a new found appreciation for all of the even “minor” accomplishments by everyone in this thread. :smiley:

My accomplishments for today:

• learning about different screw sizes/types (one of mine was missing* :astonished: )
  • learning to saw through metal pipes
  • sitting on a unicycle while holding onto stuff with both hands

I think the weirdest part of it all was, after weeks of reading, actually experiencing some of the same learning-issues (like putting weight on the seat really does feel foreign). Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get a chance to really start learning. :slight_smile:

*I went to Home Depot, which turns out doesn’t have metric-sized hex socket screws, but I got something close enough to work for now.