How to learn unicycling ?

Sweating

Well, as I wrote in my journal, I could literally wring my t-shirt after training for 2-3 hours in the basement. Being outside where it’s colder and more fresh air I am not that bad, and now that I am getting more used to it I am sweating less and less.

But I really cannot remember the last time I got so completely soaked in such a short time without being in the sun or feeling completely dead (like after running). I guess it was the concentration and the need to use all upper body muscles etc to keep my balance in the beginning.

In other words, great workout!

Sweating is not gross - it is a natural process and the more you do it, the better is your exercise :slight_smile:

Day 6: Flying across Huffman Prairie !!

OK, so I am not going to read and comment on all the other posts, except cross my fingers and make a wish for augustdreamt - may you get the best birthday present of them all from your husband tonight (I think you know what I mean). :slight_smile:

For me, I set two personal records today.

I swam 3500 meters in 77 minutes this morning, and then I rode my unicycle for more than 1000 meters in about 90 minutes this evening !!! Believe it or not!

This was my 6th session on the uni, and I’ve ridden for about 15-16 hours total by now, including tonight.

I managed to go with the flow, had up to 20-30 meters of straight smooth riding, then I would sometimes even come to a complete stop, manage to keep going, make small turns around some obstacles, etc.

There was a “fault line” in the pavement with one smooth transition. I would aim for this in the beginning and UPD if I didn’t hit it. After a while I was able to slow down and cross it in a controlled way (it was “downhill”). I tried crossing it once from the other side (“uphill”) and I UPDed instantly. I guess this ridge was about 2 cm high, maximum one inch…

So that’s a challenge for next time.

My record run tonight was 30 full revolutions, or 85 meters. On Saturday, last time I unicycled, my record was 20 full revolutions, or 57 meters. Before that, Last Friday (a week and a half ago), by record run was 3 full revolutions, or 8-9 meters. I’d call that good progress :slight_smile:

It’s great to read how everyone is progressing so well !
I’ve been slowly getting back into the saddle these last few days and I am now officially back in the game. It’s ridin’ time again! I’ll be switching back and forth between my 24 and 29 just working on just riding around my neighborhood and on the park paths.

Happy Birthday Augustdreamt! I checked out your blog. Nice.

Day 7: Flying around on Huffman Prairie - not circling yet…

I managed to train on two consecutive days for the first time - and that was even after swimming yesterday morning as well. So my shape is definitely improving.

My longest ride today was 30 revs like yesterday (85 meters), but I also had rides of 29, 28, 24 and several in the teens. Plus I worked up a few meters on a slight incline at the end of the 3 longest rides.

Then I also started working on turning today. I’ve been turning slightly to navigate around the corner of the building on the longest rides (I reach the corner after about 17 revs and I am past it on about 23 revs, but I only turn about 45 degrees in that time.

The parking lot at the back where I set up practice for turns after the straight riding today allows a turn radius of about 10 meters, giving me about 5-6 revs to make a 90 degree turn if I ride in a perfect circle. In other words, I need to turn 90 instead of 45 degrees in the same riding distance.

So that’s a challenge I need to work on. I was reducing my speed in order to turn and then I was back to the stop-go riding and trying to turn in jerks, rather than a smooth gentle turn.

Riding a coker requires more space than a smaller uni, but it feels really great and I started riding a bit faster on the straight rides today. So I guess I just need to accumulate riding time and improve my stability and riding skills steadily :slight_smile:

Nighty night everyone!

I went for my first ride for a couple of days because I have been having trouble with both my ankles. I was pretty tired today because I spent the day landscaping my yard and carrying a lot of stone. Iy was the first time I wanted to quit riding early as I felt a bit frustrated and my muscles felt drained. i took it easy and didn’t try hopping too high and after I felt another twinge in my ankle, I decided to just ride and practice rolling hops. I am getting better at holding onto the handle when riding over uneven terrain. Overall, just plain fun! Approx 14 hrs total riding.

Lillestrom, You sound like you are doing great. I really think it is impressive to learn on such a big uni! I know you have probably posted this before but what size cranks are you using?

Anybody else learn anything fun?

I also learned “Old Joe Clark” on the mandolin… Oh wait that wouldn’t count unless I did it on a uni! :stuck_out_tongue:

Update

I recorded a new video of my new skills.

Just have a look

Wow, Hugo! Those are beautiful videos! And great choice of music too. I feel your efforts. I can appreciate all the dedication that went into getting to the stage you are at. It’s inspiring…

I guess there are people who would not neccessarily share this opinion :wink:

It conveys the anguish, solitude, loneliness and despair of the beginner unicyclist learning his craft. Really, it does! I get it.

The idling was great Hugo! That is a cool skill. Are you going to learn backwards riding?
I could relate to the mounting practice. I was leaning and my arms were swinging because it seemed so familiar.
I noticed that you were wearing leg pads in another video but not in this one. You must be feeling pretty comfortable. I am totally attached to mine and never ride without them. It seems that the pedals love my shins. In fact I have some huge tears in my pads. That could have been skin! Shudder!

Nice work!

Yes that should be the next step. And when I have done this, I will give up my “beginner” status (I promised that in the German forum)

Well. I do longer rides without the leg pads because I am sweating too much underneath. When I try something difficult, I always wear my pads. When I tried the jumpmount for the first time, a week ago, I had my pads on. But this mount is easier than you would think. Once you get the hang, you do no longer need the pads for it.

PS: There is one additional thing I tried today, for the first time (and with pads :wink: ): I dropped 30 cm. Hopping, and then sidewards, 30cm down. This was also easier than I thought.

Indeed Hugo the work you seem to be putting towards idling is astonishing! I’ve been riding near 3 months and wish I had the determination of putting my effort into that as I know it would pay off, but hell jumping is more fun :smiley: . I enjoyed the video very much, and the “Daniel Powter Song”. (correct me if I’m wrong)

Congrats, Hugo, on being the 500th post on this thread!

Augustdreamt…did you manage to get out for a ride at Fountainhead?

Oh thanks.

I tried a dropping today. It is easier than I thought. Just jump and land.

MOVIE0004_01_0004.jpg

Hugo Im new into unicycling too I saw your movies and it seems like you are praticing hard.
I have already learnt many thing but I can ride SIF can you ride SIF hugo?

No I can’t. Although I did not try so far. Maybe I should…

And here is the latest video

Just correcting my other reply I CANT ride SIF maybe i should try practicing it hard too.
Hugo I really enjoy watching your movies.

Wow!

To be honest. That is still nothing. But I can’t do it better at this point in time. I am only posting this to encourage other beginners. Show this to others who can do unicycling for some time. They will be bored.