How to hop curbs?

I’m having some fun learning to hop these days and can now do a half dozen
or so hops in a row. I hope to eventually be able to hop up a curb but am
not sure of the best progression of techniques to practice to achieve my
goal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Erin

What really helped me was some of the info on Muniac.com

To kinda sum up what I do. Approach the object to jump on to come to a standstill, one small hop straight up or slightly toward the object (curb). Then Spring with your ankles, not you knees and grab the seat up and pull it up with you as you make your big hop up.

The big thing with getting up curbs is to keep trying. You’ll find where you are most counfertable in time.

One thing I did to pratice my side hop was to pick a starting line to jump from then try to jump over to another line. I did this most with the Mant. Hole Covers on my road. But Also with chalk lines or anything esle you can find that you think you can do. Then once you get better try jumping to an object a bit further out then the last.

im not sure i can give advice on something i havent learned myself, but i would suggest to learn how to hop with either foot forward, and hopping to the left and right-- somehow i got stuck hopping only with my left foot forward, and until very recently, only to the right side with any height, hopping to the left was only for stability purposes

anyway, i suggest learning both at the same time, its worth it in the end

Erin,

Try hopping small items like a block of wood at first. Then work up to taller objects. The first time I tried to jump a 2 x 4, I struggled and struggled and couldn’t make the landing.

You can develop your technique with still stands or microhopping.

It got easier with practice. Try to focus on getting your body to work with the Muni, not against it. Early tendancy is to pull the heck out of the handle when hopping. Lighten up on that. Also be careful on how you hold the handle. If you pull directly up on the handle and have your wrist bent, you can injure your wrist badly.

You will have to learn to get on the curb and then work on riding away from it. The two are different, but this will also work for you, eventually.

The hopping tips from Muniac.com are in the Tips and Techniques
section.

Here is the link:

http://muniac.com/tips.htm#hopping

Work the maze.

One thing that really helped me was a video that somebody posted. I’m not sure who posted it or when, but it was a group of clips of Kris Holm doing a workshop (a previous NAUCC?). One of them was hopping. I could probably post a copy on the web somewhere if you need it.

One really helpful thing he said is don’t pogo. It aint a pogo stick, its a unicycle, so don’t just sit there and go bounce bounce bounce bounce…

Instead, do a stillstand - stop, stand up on the pedals with the pedals horizontal (as they should be when you actually hop). Hold that stillstand as long as you can, then do one single hop, land it, and hold the still stand. Eventually, you can try hopping side to side or forward and backward - but its best to do one hop at a time and hold the stillstand in between. In the end, riding up to a curb, stopping for the tiniest fraction of a second, and then hopping up to the left or right will be nothing.

And when you do the actual hop, give the uni a quick, hard push down and spring up. This works best if you have lower tire pressure. Your squishing the tire, compressing it and then kind of bouncing up.

Finally, this stuff is way easier on a smaller wheel. I practiced for weeks on my 26" and I couldn’t really get anywhere. When I got my 20" Yuni, I was hopping up curbs like nothing.

This advice comes from somebody who is trying to learn those very skills right now - not somebody with a ton of experience actually doing it, so take that into consideration. Good luck.

Re: How to hop curbs?

“Erin” <beandawg@direct.ca> wrote in message
news:umbhevrc6u5f9b@corp.supernews.com
> I’m having some fun learning to hop these days and can now do a half dozen
> or so hops in a row. I hope to eventually be able to hop up a curb but am
> not sure of the best progression of techniques to practice to achieve my
> goal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Get a Coker. :slight_smile: What curb?