How should I go about finding a team for Ride The Lobster?

How should I go about finding a team for Ride The Lobster?

I have talked to bike-shop owners and the owners of escape Sports (only shop that sells unicycles around here) they have all said that they will mention it to anyone who might be interested. I put “unicyclist needed” posters up on campus both here in Prince Albert and Saskatoon. I think I will ask my uncle to put up some flyers at the University of Regina so I have the three biggest cities covered. The local paper has even interviewed me a couple weeks ago and my picture covered about 1/3 of the third page. I have yet to find one other person who is interested in this ride.

Is there anything else that I can do to find unicyclists that may be interested in doing this race with me? I would love to have a team from Saskatchewan but I may need to expand my search into Manitoba and Alberta.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Not everybody lives near other avid Coker racers. I think the organizers are prepared to help people assemble teams. At the moment “my” team consists of me and a driver (my wife). I’m flexible on who joins my team (assuming I qualify)…

you should try posting a thread in rsu…oh wait…

Unicycle Roster

Last night I went threw the unicycle roster and tried e-mailing everyone from Sask (12 people total) and I used it to e-mail myself to make sure it worked, it didn’t. Has anyone ever received an e-mail from having there name on the roster or use their e-mail feature?

Maybe I should broaden my search a bit: Anyone in the prairie provinces interested?

tell me all about ride the lobster, im intrigued. if its cool, i might come from vancouver island…

This thread can tell you more than i ever can

To tell the truth i do not have a 36" yet but have been training on my 27" and short cranks. I am ordered a Nimbus 36" and it should be arriving on friday. I am not a hardcore coker rider (yet) but figure with over a year to train i could be pretty decent by 2008:D

There will be quite a number of people without teams who will want to be a part of this race. Once applications open, ask around for people who need one more to complete their team or something like that.

The rule of forming a team from the same geographical region is so that no one forms a “World’s Best” team but the unicycling community is fairly small, so even if you do form a team with each member from a different continent, the organizers will know whether it’s a Dream Team with hand picked riders or just a small bunch with no one else thay can form a team with. I hope I’m right :slight_smile:

So you want to Ride The Lobster. Contact Info.

There are about 12 unicyclists from across Canada so far who have put their names on a list of interested riders for Ride The Lobster.
To put your name on the list and to find others in Canada (or elsewhere) …
Go to www.ridethelobster.com and click the ‘Contact Us’ link.

I’m heading the group in Nova Scotia organizing this June 2008 event.

Cheers
Edward

update to Ride The Lobster

when i said there were 12 unicyclists from Canada who have placed their name on the list, that did not include the other 90 riders from the other 16 countries who have also placed their name on the list.

in summary, we have over 100 riders from 17 countries so far having expressed direct participation interest in the race. we expect lots of spectator-unicyclists to attend and cheer on their favourite relay team.

about 5 unicyclists from across the USA are coming this 14-17 September to Nova Scotia for a preview of the Route and Race. We’re holding a good old kitchen party at The Lobster Galley in Baddeck, Cape Breton on Saturday 16th September 2007, as part of our kick-off. We invite anyone who reads this to join in. The Metal Cowboy, stand-up comic from Oregon USA, will be one of the featured entertainers.

Anyone who is good at web design should contact me. I need to place an RSS feed on the website www.ridethelobster.com

Cheers
Edward
1-800-565-6116 North America
001-902-765-6116 Worldwide
ridethelobster@gmail.com

As for forming teams for the people who do not already have teams, perhaps some will meet up on here. So, I need a team, anyone want a Nova Scotian unicyclist on their team, pm me, we can try to meet up and ride together if you’re in the NS area. If not, Im always willing to join a team from somewhere else, perhaps a Canadian team, can that be considered the same geographic region? If there will be teams from 17 countries I can’t see how we wouldn’t be considered the same geographic region across canada. How specific are these regions anyway?

I wonder how many of those 12 Canadian unicyclists have teams (am I on that list? I think I clicked the option for moderate interest half a year ago). I don’t see why Canada would not be considered a geographical region, sure its a huge country but our population is not exactly huge.

I was really hoping to find people around here (within ~1000km) to make a team so I could at least meet them before the race but It is sort of frustrating. People keep telling me that they know someone who has a friend who might be interested or something like that but never know how to contact them. I give them all my e-mail and cell number but I have yet to get a call.

Some people are talking about doing RTL solo but I am not nearly confident enough to do that especially with my best training time going down the drain as I recover from a separated shoulder (almost a full month with no commitments and a new 36er but a busted shoulder and no being able to ride. Grrr :angry: )

Anyway, Kristine I would be honored if you let me ride with you but I’m still hopeful that we can all find teams relatively close to home.

Re: How should I go about finding a team for Ride The Lobster?

On May 14, 10:59 pm, saskatchewanian
<saskatchewan...@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
> I wonder how many of those 12 Canadian unicyclists have teams (am I on
> that list? I think I clicked the option for moderate interest half a
> year ago). I don’t see why Canada would not be considered a
> geographical region, sure its a huge country but our population is not
> exactly huge.
>
> I was really hoping to find people around here (within ~1000km) to make
> a team so I could at least meet them before the race but It is sort of
> frustrating. People keep telling me that they know someone who has a
> friend who might be interested or something like that but never know
> how to contact them. I give them all my e-mail and cell number but I
> have yet to get a call.
>
> Some people are talking about doing RTL solo but I am not nearly
> confident enough to do that especially with my best training time going
> down the drain as I recover from a separated shoulder (almost a full
> month with no commitments and a new 36er but a busted shoulder and no
> being able to ride. Grrr :angry: )
>
> Anyway, Kristine I would be honored if you let me ride with you but I’m
> still hopeful that we can all find teams relatively close to home.
>
> –
> saskatchewanian
>
> Unicycling is a thorough activity, it’s Gestalt, any amount of
> completion is an accomplishment, fulfillment. - BluntRM
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> saskatchewanian’s Profile:http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180
> View this thread:http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/59559
>
> Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.usenet.com

Teams have not yet been formed and riders have not yet qualified for
Ride The Lobster, 16-20 June 2008, Nova Scotia, Canada. Qualification
rules and selection of riders and teams is being organized by Andy
Cotter and Nathan Hoover (contact unicyclists@ridethelobster.com).
They will be coming out with an update very soon.