How should I carry my uni?

Scenario: I’m riding through the desert and ride negligently over a toppled-over cactus named Victor and get a hole in my tire that makes riding absolutely, inconceivably difficult.

How do I carry my uni to maximize my chances of survival on the 20-mile trek back to civilization? Do I hold the seat in front, put the seatpost on my shoulder and the wheel behind me? I tried that once, and I got a bad bruise on my shoulder even though I only walked about 1/4 of a mile. Perhaps guitar style, with my fingers twined with the spokes?

I fairly new to unicycling, but can’t you just repair a flat?
The supplies aren’t too cumbersome: small wrenches, tire levers, tube/patch kit, mini pump. Especially for a 20-mile trek.

Though I suppose even if you brought the supplies, something crazy might happen, like you lose your supplies down a hole, and then you’re in the situation you describe.
I’d probably just switch between carrying methods whenever I was getting fatigued.

I’m with MuniOrBust on the being-prepared-for-a-flat thing. But even when you are, unless you carry a whole new innertube sometimes you run into un-patchable blowouts. It’s happened to me at least three times on very long trails. Once I had to hike it out.

The answer to how to carry the unicycle in such situations is “all of the above”. Any one position is going to get old after a while. And when your tire is blown out (not just flat) it often won’t let you roll it in front of you because it’s so messed up it won’t stay on the rim.

I would tend to have a backpack on for longer rides so I would say strap it to your back with the seat pointed down and one pedal over your shoulder, works pretty good for me.

Along with the backpack idea, I think the position I used most for my major long hike was holding the seat over my shoulder, with the top of the wheel against my back/Camelbak, and the frame weight resting on the Camelbak strap. The tire wouldn’t stay on the rim, so the unicycle could not be rolled!

I hope that this scenario is hypothetical as it would be monumentally stupid to go on a ride that far from civilisation unprepared.

On any ride, unless you’ve happy to carry your transport home you need to be prepared for anything to go wrong with your unicycle - Carry tools for every nut & bolt on your unicycle: it will weigh less than a couple of pounds and will mean you can keep riding and not increase your time out there significantly (assuming you make it back at all if it is a hostile environment).
This goes for street and trials sessions as well as MUni or distance.

er, how did you ascertain the cactus’s name?

We exchanged pleasantries, how else?

You can bust your tyre beyond repair (beyond sticking a banknote/ toothpaste tube / tyre boot in it). I’ve done that on a bike (bust the bead on a tyre). Or you can break a crank / hub. I’ve done that. Or you can smack your pedal hard and destroy it. I’ve done that. I bet you don’t carry tools on a muni ride to repair that. I’ve also broken 4 spokes in a crash, which we managed to repair with a spoke key, but if I’d broken much more I think it’d have ended up as a walk. Oh and you can pinchflat beyond repair both your tube and the spare.

To be honest though, on a muni, which seems to me to be the main time when you’re likely to be somewhere really remote, it doesn’t matter too much, as you can run/walk at about the same speed as a muni rider.

The other time you might carry is for walk-ins to big downhill rides, I’ve done a ride where the walk in was scrambling up a rocky cliff that was unrideable, and I needed both hands free to avoid falling 1000 feet down. On most really remote rides there will be points where you need to carry.

As for how to carry it, the easiest way is attached to a rucksack, seat hanging down behind. The more straps your rucksack has the better, as you can strap it on in various places.

Joe