How old is this one?

I found this unicycle which looks old: https://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbies/1177874200.htm?ca=20_s

Any idea?

c7bb16ed10ca635518acfc7cca4a1aa0db97a3a7[2].jpg

9e846890f350101bb63be101579601479159b667.jpg

Wow. Cottered cranks. My first uni had cottered cranks and that was 1987. From memory, square tapered cotterless cranks were coming in on bikes around then.

Looks like the bearings are fully enclosed - the photo is unclear. Makes the frame look like a well-made one off. However the joystick handle and thick tyre (for the time) suggests it was someone who knew what they were doing.

I can only guess, but I would not be surprised to be told it was 30 years old.

The brand is Peugeot, a French car brand. I think they also create(d) bikes.
In case the page doesn’t work anymore, it is sold for 35€ and the wheel is 16".

Peugeot is a major French car brand. They made a popular range of bikes in the late 1970s. I can’t remember the last time I noticed a Peugeot branded bike on the road, though.

Wikipedia says <<As of 2011 Peugeot-branded cycles are sold in Bulgaria, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, United States, Japan, Switzerland and Poland.

The license to manufacture Peugeot branded bicycles was first granted to Cycleurope in 1992, but was not renewed in 2004. A new license to manufacture and to distribute worldwide was again granted in 2010 and the brand was revamped and relaunched in 2011.[2]>>

Peugeot was big in the 70’s, went down in the 80’s, and closed its Cycles dept in 92. So it’s clearly an old unicycle.
Not worth a lot but kind of fun with the weird handle.

I’m going to guess that the seat is not original, though it could also date from the 1980s or so. That handle is probably home made. the bearing area is different from any I’ve seen in person. Rim looks old, but if it’s 16" it could be something built for kids’ bikes.

Are we sure it’s a Peugeot, or is that just a label on one part of it? I have seen saddles like that before; those are probably from Taiwan or similar. Not great, as they will tear along the bottom edge.

The saddle looks to me like the old Cionlli saddles with the metal base.