How much difference does tire make on Muni?

I bet it’ll fit. The only way to tell for sure is put it on. If you get it at your LBS and it doesn’t fit (I doubt it) they’ll usually take it back, assuming you didn’t damage the tire somehow or ride on it.

That tire would be good on dirt or road, but for Muni I’d get something more aggressive like a Maxxis High Roller 24x2.35"

24x2.30 Duro BermMaster

Do you think a 24x2.30 Duro BermMaster would fit??

If a 2.4 would fit, of course anything smaller would as well, so yes. Is your LX the old or new one?

I think it was Colby Thomas who had a Maxis hookworm 2.5 on his LX. I can’t remember if his LX was the old or new frame though. Although if that does fit, a knobby tire might not.

The 24" LX is around 6 months old. I guess I should take some measurements on the current setup and see how much clearance there is between tire and frame

It’s prob the new one, but it could be the old design if it was old stock.

If it has a round cap like thing at the base of the neck and one under the crown, then it is the new design. If not and it is smooth under the crown then it’s the old design (pre '10 I think), also I think they were only available in charcoal black.

See the round cap at the base of the neck and the one under the crown? That’s part of the newer design, added because a lot of the frames were breaking there.

The 24x2.6 tire & wheel are from a DX, w/ a wider rim, so the inflated tire would give a bit more clearance than on your LX would w/ stock rim.

My LX came in that sparkly charcoal as well. I got mine about 2 years ago. I think the new LX are dark blue and have a thinner crown. (Thinner Vertically)

Pics of my torker LX 24"

Here is a pic of my Torker LX 24 incher, is this and old or new design??

New.

I bet a 2.4 is the max tire you could fit in there. On my recent model 26" Lx I fit in a 2.5 knobby, but I had to shim the bearings 1-2mm (I used cardboard paper. It seems to work but the paper compressed and I had to retighten the bearing caps several times, then had to add another layer.

Like I think I said earlier I was able to fit my stock DX wheelset in an older LX frame (like in the pic I posted which isn’t my uni), which I also had to shim (When I broke the DX frame Torker said they no longer made that frame and the new one would’t fit, so they sent me an LX which doesn’t fit perfectly either, never mind the clearance issue).

Ask the LBS if you have to but it even if it doesn’t fit (I’ve had a shop say yes). If they say you can’t exchange it, play it safe and get a 2.3

The OP’s question is hardly a new one since many people start with inexpensive unis. The thing is, you are asking more of your uni than that for which it was designed. So one of two things are going to happen: You will hate muni because you have the wrong gear or you will like muni and break your uni.

The Arrow 2.35 is an okay tire, had one for a bit, it’s not really a muni tire, it’s just a single wall tire with thin tread.

Keep in mind that tire height and width increase with size, increasing the tire volume is what makes a fat tire more comfy and better for riding trails.

Any tire will work for off road, but I’d be more concerned with bending your rim or breaking your frame.

If you’re going to “blow” money on a tire ($25-35), consider getting a muni and you’ll have the whole package plus you’ll be able to run a 3" tire as well as a narrower tire.

Look for a used Torker DX, Nimbus, or similar, this will pay off better in the end.

Thanks for the tire fitting advice.

[B]I guess back to my original question.

I took everyone’s advice and I rode some XC with my stock setup and it wasn’t that bad at all. The primary issue were the occasional roots that threw me, and I don’t know how much the tire would have helped.

How much difference will going from the stock Kenda 195 to a 2.3 or 2.4 incher going to make as far as ride quality and stability for XC trails??[/B]

Most of the roots will still throw you. That takes a lot of practice. It’s amazing how small of a root will still throw me on an uphill. Or a medium root on level ground… But, with a 2.3, you’ll feel noticeably more stable than with a 1.95. The roots that you can occasionally make it over will feel smaller, but the bigger ones take a lot of practice. The difference isn’t as noticeable as the difference between a 24x1.95 and a 26x2, or between a 26x2 and a 26x2.7, but it’s there.

It won’t do much for your stability. It will mean that you have to adjust less to small bumps, and have more of a chance of rolling over big bumps and absorbing drops. It will improve your traction on loose surfaces.

But it’s more important to improve your skills than to change your equipment. One of our local riders does pretty serious MUni on an old 24" Schwinn with a nearly bald 1.75" tire, and because he’s a great rider, he handles lines that many locals can’t do.

Ya, there have always been those “supermen” with amazing skills. I remember over 10 years ago when I rode in the Tour De Lowell 30 mile road race. the guy who won it was on a mountain bike with street tires, and beat all the guys on super light street bikes, it defies the laws of, well everything.

Point taken, skills first, gear second. :smiley:

I’m with nurse Ben on this one - why don’t you rather get a 2nd hand muni or even just a muni wheel that you can stick in your frame?