How many people are level 10? Who are they?

So, I’ve heard of level 10 riders, but I only actually know the name of one. The title sums it up quite nicely.

You sparked my curiosity and I got searching.
Here’s what I found:

From 2001 Level 10 in under 2 years thread:

From 2002 Level 10 thread:

From 2005 How many Level 10s thread:

From 2006 Level 10 World Record thread:

Yeah, I found all of that but that info is very old.

So then why do you only know one name?

I didn’t find that list, I must have missed it.

It might help to provided the link to the test content to be awarded the level 10 (if you have it) or any of the previous levels.

I am also curious to know more about these levels and how to officially validate one :slight_smile:

There’s this really useful website to learn about the skills needed
For each level
Even has a video demonstration of each

http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/levels.cfm

About how they are examined and awarded. Not sure. I think you need your ‘local’ IUF rep. And they may not be very local

Hope this helps

That list is a bit old as I am not on it and I believe I was the 11th Level 10. Think there might be a a 12th but not sure. Could probably email the IUF or USA and ask if you wanted to know. Cheers.

Yeah, this is not up to date. Matt Sindelar is the most recent level 10 and that was in 2008. I believe that Brian Shields also is a level 10.

Note that everyone on this list was apparently tested by the knowledgeable (and strict!) testers of the Twin Cities Unicycle Club. Why this monopoly? I think because they are more serious about it than everyone else, and they’re a big club, which perhaps gets more use out of working with skill levels.

I’m not sure about Christian Hoverath–he’s from Germany but I think he may have been tested by a TCUC tester. If not, is he the only one to pass all 10 levels outside of TCUC testing?

Dana Schneider, the original level 10 rider, once “observed” me for how well I could do some of the level requirements, such as pirouette. I remember she was very strict, and I had a hell of a time getting out a passable pirouette (this was on cement)–it took a lot of tries!

But German unicyclists are also very serious. Why no level 10 riders there? Part of this is a matter of recordkeeping. The IUF was less strict about passing levels, with a lot less structure on the process. And no formal recordkeeping. So perhaps these are USA Level 10 riders? There are slight differences in the criteria for passing those levels. Last time I looked, it was the USA that had the stiffer definitions.

Me? I’m a solid 7. I never mastered Hand Wheel Walk. “I’m not a Level 9, but I play one on TV.” (in the 1989 Skill Levels video from the USA)

I’m pretty sure he passed on one of his visits our way.

I think Christian passed on one of his visits but did it in germany again. One off the german unicycle organisations (the oldest one) the bdr does the test really strict and way harder than what I heared from tcuc. For example you can get tested only on a special test day like a competion.

I also think that not many riders passed level 10 because most clubs dont have it as a serious goal. I think except of tcuc some clubs in danemark a quite serious too and probably some off there riders have passed level 10.

I was having a similar question last unicon. TCUC used to dominate competition, and at the moment they hardly present.
I hope the gap for follow-up wont become too big.

Christian was tested during a stay in the US at TCUC.

Maybe here’s your answer on the monopoly. …which makes your question about Germany even more valid.

If TCUC is strict about testing, then how would that suggest a monopoly?

The monopoly is not suggested, it’s kind of obvious if you only have the list above. But I think the list is based on USA level testing (and supplied by people who don’t have any other lists). The USA had/has more of a structured setup for testing and recordkeeping of rider data; keeping it associated with their USA member information. The IUF didn’t have a similar database, so it would be up to individual organizations, such as BDR, to track skill level statistics.

Got it. I know a IUF member database is in the works, but it’s a huge project.