How long?

[QUOTE Originally posted by andrew_carter]

David,

Wow!!! 10 minutes is amazing. Could you go pretty much as far as you wanted after that time? That has to be some sort of record.

Andrew

Yes indeed Andrew but that was in the backyard at my old place at Fennell Bay while living with my folks. I would love too continued as far as possible but the flaming clothes line is the problem. It’s pretty big and I keep ducking for cover. Glad I didn’t bought a 5’ Footer Giraffe Unicycle. That Would be disastrous & I would end up in Hospital, Dangling upside down. And yes… That would has to be some sort of record I’ve learnt so far. Shame about the Guinness World records at the time.
David.

davidjmason@unicyclist.com:slight_smile:

I’m not familiar with your terms. What’s the difference between the rollback and static mounts? I’m guessing rollback is what I’m trying to do (as written in the book I’ve got), but I’m curious what static is.

Check this out, Bunny.

http://www.muniac.com/tips.htm#static

(((motivation) x (brain-usage)) - (talking in stead of doing) / (factor of talent + body-control)) = different for everyone.

in other words, shut up, just do it:
the more you think about your mistakes the less energy you have to spend.
But if you only think… you are not riding.

Re: How long?

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 20:54:51 -0600, onefluffybunny
<onefluffybunny.jp2mn@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>And wow! I never realized what a work-out unicycling really is! Despite
>being 21 F (-6 C) outside, I was working up a sweat!

Enjoy it while you can! Just riding will quickly become less of a
work-out. That’s what MUni, trials, skill levels (u/i level 10 only)
and various other disciplines were invented for, though.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“1,000,000 sperm and YOU were the fastest?”

Re: Re: How long?

Do you really have the same birthday as me?

as a rule, dancey’s advice holds true
let go the seat
wave the arm about for balance, scream and shout
it won’t neccesarily help but it will make u feel better

the most important advice i like to share with someone who’s just learnt how to ride is not to stop learning
u still vividly remember the frustration of not being able to do it
and u are still in touch with the amazing feling of accomplishment that accompanied that first moment of “I CAN RIDE!!!”
this pattern will repeat itself endlessly as u continue to improve your uni’ing skills
dont get caught up in the complacency trap
‘oh well, it’s easier to just ride than to try n learn something new’
keep going
level 10 awaits!

:slight_smile:

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:01:17 -0600, onefluffybunny
<onefluffybunny.jr0az@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Do you really have the same birthday as me?

Yeah. Great day isn’t it? Although our births weren’t exactly on the
same day; I’ll be 50 this summer. (:-I

“661, neighbourhood of the Beast”

Today was a successful day. I can now mount approximately 1 in every 6 tries. I found that doing a rolling mount was easiest for me to do sucessfully, so I’m concentrating on getting my mount every time with that for the time being. Don’t know why this would be any easier than the rollback or static mounts, but it seems to work best.

Also, tried riding on grass today, and steeper hills. I found that I can ride down much steeper hills than I can ride up, perhaps because I cannot grab the seat yet while riding. Grass was fun, although it was very damp; could only get a few feet before the wheel would get stuck. I’m on the standard Torker wheel, so it’s not very wide. I need to get some bike shorts or something, as jeans are really not cutting it for me.

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 19:02:36 -0600, onefluffybunny
<onefluffybunny.jsmmz@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Today was a successful day.
Great! I’ll celebrate for you by drinking a beer tonight.

>I found that doing a rolling mount was easiest for me to do
>sucessfully
Remarkable. It’s not normally considered a beginner’s mount.

>I found that I can
>ride down much steeper hills than I can ride up, perhaps because I
>cannot grab the seat yet while riding.
Even when you can, most everyone finds riding down easier than up, on
the same grade that is. It has been suggested that an elusive force
called gravity has to do with that.

>I need to get
>some bike shorts or something, as jeans are really not cutting it for
>me.
Jeans are the worst, they have ‘hard’ seams in precisely the wrong
places. Bike shorts are the way to go if you can stand the looks. I
personally think they look cool really.

Polar bears can smell/detect humans 32km away. That is about from here to Kakabeka Falls.

Re: Re: How long?

Awesome! I celebrated tonight too, for many different reasons.

Where’s a good place to get bike shorts?

Today was good as well, I unicycled to campus, and worked on my mounting skills. I think I’m now probably 1 in 4 to ride out of the mount, and figured that although I walk (run) into the mount, it’s probably just a static mount (as opposed to a rolling moutn) because I hesitate a little once I’m up in the saddle before riding out. This evening when I went to dinner with a friend I was able to get 4 mounts in a row, hence a 1 in 1, so I’m definitely improving my statistics. I’m finding that I fall less and less due to the terrian (although big cracks still make me tumble) and more due to muscle fatigue when riding long stretches. Then again, Pittsburgh isn’t exactly the friendliest city with its hills and unkempt streets/sidewalks.

While I went to the bathroom to wash up, the waiter at dinner apparently asked my friend (who had walked while I rode to the restaurant) if I wore my helmet all the time. I shouldn’t have given the lousy bum a tip. Serves me right for going to a so-called Mexican restaurant. You can’t get decent Mexican food anywhere in the city without driving for 30 minutes.

I dont know man, I assume your talking about pittsburgh, there are a few good places. I always like Mad Mex, they have more burrito’s and stuff than traditional Mexican Food. La Fiesta isnt bad they are on Oakland ave. too I believe. I’ve heard theres a good place in Bloomfield too but I’ve never been there. Thats only like 10 min away…

Sounds like your progressing very quickly. Congrats!
Here’s something I wish I did, keep a journal. I wish I could remeber the first time I freemounted.
And talk about fast! You’ll be a level 10 in no time.

pics!