How long can you idle?

For how long or how many times can you idle non-stop? How long should I be able to idle before I can be said to have learned to idle?

As long as you need to! Once you can idle for 50 or 100 pedal strokes, it’s just a case of relaxing into it. Then you can go on for ages.

Using the IUF skill levels as a guide line, 25 times should do it (with one idle being a complete back and forth motion of the wheel).

I’m still idling.

When I was learning last year, I went for 100.
I doubt I can do 100 with my other foot though.

I have a problem of not being able to put my weight on the seat while idling, making one foot idling impossible!

I don’t know, as soon as I realize I’m putting more weight on my bottom foot and put my weight back on the seat, I instantly fall.

But normally, I can idle long enough for the light to turn green, I’d say maybe 10 or 20 times? If I could get to 50, I feel like I’d have lead legs

I’m not sure how long I can idle for, but I always practice on elevator rides :smiley:

Thanks for the warning! I think I’ll watch my grass grow instead. :stuck_out_tongue:

If your seat is really low it will make idling harder, especially if you also have long cranks (like a typical Trials/Street setup). Raise your seat up and you’ll see why the Freestylers mostly ride with high seats. :slight_smile:

I can idle indefinitely, either foot. This is a good skill for anyone to learn, as it can be useful in all sorts of situations. I was once in a TV commercial for a local store in Detroit (can’t remember what store), where my job was to be idling in the background on my 6’. I was up there for a cumulative 6 hours or so.

Never again.

John Foss, can you idle indefinitely on at 36er? That seems really hard. I can idle pretty well on my 24, but no way on the 36.

I can comfortably idle as long as I need to on any of my uni’s (20 24 and 7 foot giraffe). It just gets easier with time, if you can idle now it get more and more comfortable with time.

Let’s just say I can definitely idle on a 36er. But I don’t. It’s doable, but not particularly useful or enjoyable. Especially with really short cranks, or in high gear! :astonished:

Thanks, I went riding with my seat as high as I can put it (I’m 6’, riding a 20") and idling felt a lot better and in control. I felt like it took more effort to ride though, I even added more pressure to my tire but still felt like I had to us my legs more. Oh well, guess I’ll have to find that happy medium

I can idle till i get bored

…still idling…

I think I can idle one foot longer than a normal idle : / it seems to take less energy. It comes down to how long you’re willing to sit there and pedal back and forth, and not so much how difficult it is.

John Foss, I am intrigued that you say idling a 36 isn’t useful or enjoyable. I might go along with it not being enjoyable, but I find it very useful when cycling in city streets. I have just learnt to idle over the last 3 months, and while it’s no use on the trails, I find it very useful when stopping at intersections. If you get off your uni at an intersection, you are a pedestrian standing in the middle of the road! At least while you are idling, you have a reason to be there and cars can see your intentions.

Also, and I know you will appreciate this, it is fun to learn these skills.

So are you between two lines of cars, like waiting to make a turn? Even on the side, with cars only on one side, idling takes up a lot of space on large wheels. You must have some good precision to do it without taking out any side mirrors or other cyclists who come up behind you.

When I stop at an intersection among cars, I do what most other cyclists do; I put my foot down. Okay, usually both of them. I’m still as tall as the cyclists, and hopefully already between some stopped cars.

Yup, and potentially useful in other areas. If you learn to idle on a 36", doing it on any smaller wheel is going to be that much easier!

Thanks John, you are right. I wouldn’t idle at every intersection, but often, I just need to let one car, or a pedestrian go, and a short idle seems like the appropriate thing to do.

Yes I believe that it should be easier to idle on a smaller wheel, and I would have learnt faster on the 29. However since I have learnt on the 36, I find it harder on the 29.

My big challenge comes next weekend, when my 36 schlumpf hub is ready to ride.

Thanks again,