How have you dealt with an injury?

I’m a week out from breaking my foot in 3 places. The break is really the best possible injury I could have had, considering that no ligaments or tendons were involved. I should heal up nicely. I am in a boot, and after a week, I’m able to walk without assistance. Though I still use the crutches and scooter when needed, or for longer distances.

I have been optimistic since the accident, living for the day that I can get back on my unicycle. However, reality has set in and I realize that it is going to be a process, maybe a longer one than I was hoping. I will be in a boot for up to 6 weeks. After that, I will be out of the boot, but still not able to engage in any serious exercise. I am wondering how any of you have handled a recovery time, and what you did to get back on the uni. I can tell that the immobility of the boot is going to seriously weaken my ankle and foot. I am hoping that a few weeks out of the boot before getting back on the uni will help with strengthening. When I do get back on, I am going to stay on the 20" at first for probably a good period of time. I know this may come as a shock, but since I do have to work on my feet for a living, I am probably going to be pretty conservative in my approach to getting back on the uni :slight_smile:

Any pieces of advice, or info on how you came out of an injury is greatly appreciated.

I have had two serious injuries and the real problem is to play it safe.
The call of the uni is so strong! but one should wait and listen to his body and not overdo it .
Yes that requires additional strength: because of a broken knee I missed ELSBET this year and may miss UNICON (though it is almost in my backyard!)
listen to your physiotherapist and listen to your body and get back slowly unto the saddle!
get well!

I have been dealing with injuries since october 2015.
-It started with a TFL syndrome on my left knee during my first “long” collective ride, and since my left knee was hurting each time I was riding more than 3 miles.
I finished by finding the why, understanding the how and it appears that if I want to avoid the issue I just have to make sure my saddle is not set too high.

-just when I was finding a way to avoid the TFL syndrome (which took months) I started to suffer from another kind of pain on the same knee.
I finished (pretty recently) to find a way to resolve this issue: lowering the saddle even more and warming my knees before each single ride.

-now that my knee is ok, I am struggling against a shoulder injury because of a bad UPD in April and since this day each time I fall and use my left arm when I land, the healing process reset.
The issue also is that I mainly use my left arm to keep balance when muniing.
So I have to avoid, as much as I can, any kind of ride that could end by a fall, so basically I mainly ride my 36er now, cause it is relatively safe, and I can ride it with both hands on the handlebars during the whole ride.
I say “relatively” cause I thought the 36er was 100% safe but during my last ride, which was my longest ride on a unicycle so far (60km) I fell a couple of times when missing a jump mount and when trying to reposition my feet on the pedals… I also recently fell when riding my 19er, so I guess whichever the unicycle I use, there is always a risk that I land in a bad way for my left shoulder…

During this 8 months period I never really stop unicycling.
I did reduce my rides, was frustrated when the ride had to stop after only few miles, but kept on trying to find a way to ride despite the injuries.
I don’t know if it is the way to go, but that’s how I dealt with injuries.

None of my injuries completely kept me from being able to ride, it only limited my rides, so I’m not in your case sukie47, and don’t know how I would deal with a complete disability to ride for a period, especially now that I am addicted to unicycling.

The worst injury I suffered since I am unicycling was a twisted ankle during a muni ride (like stepping off the unicycle with the foot sidewas, yay !).

Because nothing was torn or broken, I just has to not walk on it for 2 or 3 days and then use it while splinted to keep muscles working.

After that, the doctor told me that I could resume sport and I started with a couple of bike rides to get back into the pedaling motion followed by some road uni. When I confirmed everything was working well and there was no obvious weakness in the ankle, I kept on riding as usual (and got an ankle brace for the big rides that would require extra support but only used it a handful of times).

Bottom line is: follow the doctors order religiously and listen carefully to your body.

If done properly, you will be able to enjoy more riding again than rushing and hurting yourself in a more lasting way (or preventing full recovery).

Sorry to hear of your injury. What a bummer. On the bright side, you should be able to unicycle again once you heal. Have you seen this thread? Looks like you could have fun on a scooter in the mean time.

I’m reading this post, wondering when it is going to be my time. Knock on wood, nothing has happened in the last 2.5 years of riding which I’d call an injury. Nothing which kept me from riding the next day. I don’t bomb down steep hills or do big drops. I ride under the threshold of my ability to run out a upd (though I trip and fall frequently while upd’ing). I come down hard on my wrist guards and hammer my shoes against rocks and pavement, and they’ve saved my wrists and feet. I love my safety gear.

sukie47, I’m wondering if the pedals were a culprit in your injury. Depending on the the situation, sticking to the pedals can either be a nuisance or a savior. As an example, I own two 20" Equinox unis. The old, un-geared one has plastic Odyssey twisted-pc pedals, completely worn smooth. The new, g20 has the same pedals, but the plastic molded pins on those are still intact. I was goofing around yesterday on uneven ground on the g20 and had a bunch of awkward upds, which I attribute to staying on the pedals for longer than necessary. This makes it harder to land in a graceful fashion. On the smooth pedals, if a upd is imminent, I slide off the pedals with a foot position more likely to land gracefully. I’m going to smooth down the new pedals before my next ride. I’ve also rounded out the metal pins which come stock with the Nimbus unicycles.

Sorry to hear about your broken foot. I hope it heals fast and strong.

My co-worker just broke her foot in two places and had to have pins put in her foot. She had to wear the boot just like you. But, a week after the boot came off she was exercising on her foot. I know it is not the same as unicycling, but be patience and you will be riding in know time.

Really? How could you do that? The metal pins keep my feet stuck to the pedals and taught me that you can postpone your fall enough to get balance again. I say “yay” to my metal pins ^_^. Of course in cases where I do UPD, I sometimes still stick to the pedals, where I actually should have let go of them. Still I am quite happy for them.

I just can’t help myself, but this thread seems to be one for old people with their pains. Sure I’m 40, but younger than all of yous and I feel like a 25 year old being able to handle anything. :slight_smile:

I kinda wonder Sukie how you managed to break your foot in 3 places. I’ve had many a UPD, but nothing serious. Mostly I land on my feet and those two times I landed on my knees were in snow and on sand. Did your feet get entangled between the wheel and the pedal? I had that once in the forest, which made me dive in the bushes. I am glad I am not in your position, as just like you I am hooked and feel I just need to ride ever single free moment. I hope for you you will heal quickly.

I actually think for the healing process it would be better to go out on your 26" than on the 20". Maybe the 20" is lighter, but it requires a lot more rotations, which may tire your feet more. A 26" is more relaxing, the way I see it. I certainly can’t ride 5km on a 20". I’d be dead by that time.

I definitely think the pedals contributed. But, I was also introducing a new skill into the mix by aggressively using the handle while climbing. That was the first day that I was able to hold onto my seat while climbing. I was really excited after climbing the first hill, and was probably over-confident while tackling the second. I remember trying to step off the uni to the front with my left foot, and not being able to. Then when I finally did come off, I was off balance, leaning back, and landed badly. Instead of rolling my foot outward, which is typical of a sprained ankle, I rolled my foot in, then when I fell onto my foot it also bent backwards. It was a horrible thing to see, let alone hear.

Go ahead and rub it in spring chicken :slight_smile: I know I’m 47, but I don’t feel that old. Plus, the other day on NPR, I heard about a study involving “middle age” adults… ages 45-60 yrs of age. I’m not so old if I’m only NOW middle age :slight_smile:

OK, so hold your left hand in front of you with the fingers up…now take your right hand and push the fingers hard to the left and then try to shove them behind your wrist and then on up under the elbow without folding your wrist forward. That is the only way I can describe how I broke those 3 bones. It would be the equivalent of breaking those 3 main fingers near the knuckles. Toe and pinky not involved. Sorry, but it is the only visual I can give. The knee was sprained, but doing much better. Ankle is sore now that I’m walking some. I take that back. Everything is sore :frowning:

And, yes this is KILLING me!!! I can’t say enough how much I have fallen in love with this sport. I have only been so passionate about 2 things in my life. And I made my first passion my profession and still love it after 15 years. This has hit me with the same energy. I just hope I haven’t discovered it too late in life to enjoy it to the fullest. I think that’s why I was not able to pace myself as I should have. I can’t wait to get back on, even if I am a bit more conservative the second go around :slight_smile:

I mentioned my broken toe in this thread How many miles can you juggle while unicycling?

It was preventable. I had had a hard time finding laceless shoes, and was riding in very flimsy shoes. It was preventable, and now I have much sturdier shoes.

I would feel better about getting back in the saddle if I had a clear thing to blame my accident on. Unfortunately, it seems it was simply an accident, which means it could happen again. :frowning: Today is one of my bad days…I’m back to work and it’s clear that my boss is mad that I had an accident, and that I intend to continue unicycling.

The only thing I can suggest is to get yourself some ankle protection footwear.

I came off a motorbike once wearing suede dessert boots and badly skinned my ankle.
Since then - I have (nearly) always worn boots for heavy work, or riding motorcycles.

I currently unicycle in old ankle boots, and also invested in some 5-10 High Impacts.
The high impacts have tacky soles for extra grip on the pedals.
They also feature about 1-inch of padding on the tongue, which wraps around the inside of the ankle.
They are sturdy enough to protect your foot and ankle if the worst should happen again.

Money well spent if you can get them in a 50% sale like I did.

Well this time I think new clothes, or at least new shoes, are the order of the day.

What were you wearing on your feet?

This is what I wear on the road:

Or my hybrid uniboots where extra protection is required:

I was wearing high top five ten free riders. I was covered head to toe with armor. I don’t know if the High Impacts would have done any better. My ankle should have snapped too, but didn’t. So, they must have helped a bit.

Those shoes are way too small, I’d have to fold, or maybe break my feet in half to fit in there

Back in August 2015 (17th to be exact) I fractured my left ankle.

I was on my KH29, I had 100mm cranks (which I was NOT used to). I had pedals which where grippy (a bit too grippy) and I free mounted, somehow got the back of my heel on the pedal. Anyway, I tried to pedal, and I just ended up falling, with my foot sideways with a loud click.

I was in a CAM walker boot for 6 weeks. I could barely walk for the first few days.

Anyway, I hated it. I couldn’t ride my unicycle, which is the main thing I wanted to do over the summer.

After ~2 weeks of having it, I couldn’t bear looking at my unicycle out of the window, and I got my 20" out and just idled with my boot on. It didn’t hurt, which I was surprised about.

I started riding my unicycle again around 7/8 weeks after, but only lightly. I started commuting on my uni about 9 weeks after.

Don’t! I’ve heard this can make it worse, meaning less time on your unicycle.

The size they are on the screen is not the actual size.
They are much bigger in real life. :slight_smile:

MTU, did you wait 7-8 weeks after coming out of your boot? Or were you in boot for 6 weeks and on uni week 7 or 8?

@sukie47

I was out of my boot 6 weeks, back on my unicycle and back on my uni at week 7/8