how fast are you ridding?

Had a difficult time controlling my 36" on the rolling Connecticut hills. Put on 170mm cranks and now seem to have a little more control. My math says I’m averaging around 9 to 10 mph. Does that sound about right?

I average about 9 mph on my 36’r but I do not claim to be fast.

those are really really long cranks! i ride 125’s on my 36" and average between 12 and 14 mph. i’m considering switching to 115’s tho just to see if it makes and discernable difference.

Do you have a brake on your 36er? I put a brake on mine for control down a couple of very steep hills on my commute, but it does help on less steep hills as well - you can ride faster downhill with the brake slightly dragging than you can when you’re controlling the speed with your legs (the pedalling is much smoother). Some people just use short cranks and let it fly down hills, but I’m too chicken for that.

Like others have said, your speed sounds quite normal. I’m a pretty average 36er rider and I mostly cruise at around 13mph on the flat, and don’t often go over 15mph. My average speed for my (hilly) commute is usually 10 or 11mph. If I had the guts to go faster on the flat bits I could probably get that average up a bit. I usually use 145mm cranks on the 36er.

I averaged 13mph on the marathon at unicon in Denmark on the same unicycle (still with 145s), but that was utterly flat so I was just sat at my 13mph comfortable cruising speed for a couple of hours!

Rob

Possibly; it sounds a little on the slow side, but it is probably due to the long cranks.

FWIW, I kept track of my average speeds on certain rides for a while. Check out the data on my blog:

corbin

I ride in a fairly hilly area on 150’s. My average speeds on my rides are about 7 to 8 mph. I’m definitely a slow rider. On flatter areas I ride about 9 or 10 mph.

I’m trying to rid the Web of misspelled thread titles as fast as I can… :roll_eyes:

On a good day, I can average 13 mph (Coker), or a little more on my (borrowed) Schlumpf 29". I can hold the Schlumpf to 15 mph for a while, but probably not a whole mile at my current fitness level.

Years ago, I could average 11 mph for a whole hour on a 24" track unicycle…

speed question…

Speaking of speed, I searched all over to try and find the correct cycle computer setting for my 36er. Does anyone here know the exact setting for a Nightrider tire? I’m using 2800 as the setting now, but that might be off a little bit, making me think I am going slower or faster than I really am.

I think I have mine at 2783, but it’s of the old style of coker tire. The very best way to figure out what to set the computer at is to have someone carefully measure as you ride a revolution, preferably holding a wall.

This is your best option because it will change depending on weight and tire pressure. Also I did a ride today on fairly flat roads with no real stops except one upd, 10 miles at and average of 10.2mph.

on the subject of 36er rollout i used a value of 2788 and was accurate to within 1% the few times i checked it. It was with a Wheel TA tire on an airfoil rim.

The wheel is actually a bit taller but you loose some to both compression of the tire and road wobble.

2800 is a good place to start. Ride a 10km (or other known distance) course and then compare your distances. adjust your rollout accordingly.

Thanks for the info. So far my top speed is only 15 (with 125’s), which is also the top speed I had a upd at. Luckily no injury, the Hillbilly gloves worked great.

I’ll feel better about going faster down hills once I have a brake installed. Right now once I get past 12 mph going down a hill I can feel the inertia of the wheel start to take over, so I end up applying back-pressure to slow things down. I’ve only been riding a 36er for a month or so, so I think I’m still getting used to the unique differences.

Anybody here have any speed stories to tell? For example, anyone here ever just let it fly down a long steep hill? Did you wreck? What was the top speed you reached even if only for a short period? Is it even possible to regain control of that wheel when you’re going over 15 and you’re still going downhill? Interested in your experiences…I’d like to learn from them :slight_smile:

You are not ridding fast enough!!! Rid faster!

There have been threads on top speeds before. It is annoying reading these threads without the knowledge of miles to kilometers conversion, so I normally get out a calculator and figure out what these miles are all about.

When I’m in better shape I can average around 20km in an hour on a standard 36". My fastest speed was from letting fly near the bottom of a steep hill- Cumberland Street. I held back most of the way knowing that if I let fly there is no stopping, then when approaching the bottom of the hill I went as fast as I could to try and set a record for myself. I felt myself lurching forwards and almost lost control, going a little bit too far forwards and then backwards in the balance envelope to feel comfortable. I hit 35.4km/h briefly and I regained control as the hill flattened itself out at the bottom. I would not like to come off at high speed- landing on my feet might be difficult. I’ve fallen off at 20-25km/h plenty of times with no problems.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/speed

I measured my roll out once more today while sitting on the uni. With the Stealth Pro rim and Nightrider tire (pretty high pressure) and my own weight of about 80kg (with clothes and shoes) I got 2,824m. So that’s a little less than what I had measured before, which was 2,840m. It won’t make too much of a difference, though. Unfortunately this means my max speed of 41,95 km/h was actually 41,71 km/h and today’s measured average of 24,93 km/h was in fact just 24,78 km/h. It also means that I stopped before reaching the full 42,195 km at 41,96 km with a time of 1:41. But it was not too bad anyways for a rather hilly and windy marathon course with a couple of times waiting for traffic to pass. And I’m not as tired as last time I trained for that same length.

What are these kilometres you talk about?

Rob, you’re getting kilometres and kilometers mixed up. He’s talking about devices for measuring kilos.
Anyway, there’s just under 5 furlongs in a kilometre.