How do you dismount?

I have tried the search function but since dismount is so commonly used I was not able to find an answer to the question - Which is safer/preferable controlled dismount, a front dismount or a back dismount.

I am still learning but when I feel that I am losing it, I step off the front (in a controlled manner) and grab the rear of the seat to save the unicycle from hitting the ground (BTW it is a 24" Muni).

Is it just a matter of personal preference or should I be concentraiting on a particular intended dismount?

Thanks

Simon

One of the 1st skill level tests requires that you dismount to the rear (uni in front of you) It makes some sense as you would then be able to start up again without having to reposition the uni.
That being said just keep doing what your comfortable with in order to avoid any nasty falls. I as well dismounted to the front when I started as it seemed easier.

I used to dismount over the front, but was informed that a rear dismount is safer. If you were to dismount over the front and your foot got caught in the pedal, it could be a pretty ugly fall.

You don’t have to drop the uni. Just hold onto the seat when you dismount.

It’s no big deal if it drops anyway . Better to let it drop than get tangled up in it. It’s only going to hit on the front bumper, rear bumper or pedal anyway.

–tom

dismounting to back has the advantage of being able to see when there uni is going to go.

I do trials so my dismount is usually a step off cause my uni is so low or a nice bail…

Me too.

I’m fairly new at riding a 36" and I too need advice on dismounting. It’s a lttle scary and I usually dismount forward hoping for the best. :thinking:

I’ll be watching this thread.
Dave

for the smaller wheels it is not a big deal but I would strongly suggest dismounting form the back with a 36er. It is a lot safer for you and your unicycle, especially if you don’t come to a complete stop first.

After a while it will become very natural to just step off the back.

One thing to consider when dismounting, as brendan said, is seeing where the wheel will go. Although your wheel doesn’t roll very far when you dismount, it still rolls, and for a good reason.

Should your wheel stop rolling (i.e. hits a wall, barrier, curb, etc.) while you’re dismounting, your seat will suddenly change direction. Instead of your downward, gravity-influenced dismount, your body will also suddenly change direction, too. This is quite painful and can injure your spine and squishy nether regions.

It’s especially dangerous on a giraffe… not so much on a 24, but the possibility is still there.

As for forward or backward dismount, don’t sweat it. Do what feels good.

I just dismount whichever way it feels like it’s leaning

I’ve had some very ugly falls like this, only backwards :stuck_out_tongue: . Just do whatever you feel like. Watch out for pedals.

Step off.

I step to the back. Or I do this little jump pop off.

When I ride, if its my 24 or my 29er, I usually do a step off to the back. I tend to think that if i can’t stop in time for whatever, I can always step off the back and let the uni take what is coming, albeit a car, wall, a huge drop off, what not. On a 36er, I come to a complete stop, lean back a little and just ride it down till my feet hit the ground. Never had any trouble getting off the uni this way. I really can’t explain how to step off to the back, I just kinda do it.

The forward way i don’t too much care for unless I have to. I don’t like having my arm between my legs like that. Its just me being picky, not to mention most the time I can’t hold on to the freaking uni.

Dismounting with the uni in front is generally safer especially with regard to others (bystanders, traffic, another unicycle behind you), as some people argued. It’s also a required skill for level 1 (probably for the same reason), as someone mentioned. It looks a lot better and in control, as I think no one has brought up yet.

I would say:

• in an emergency, dismount in whatever way feels best;
  • in case of a planned dismount, try to step off at the back, holding on to the seat. Bow to the audience if appropriate.

or if innapropriate… :wink:
if you’re from team uk, take your trousers off for good measure.

excuse the rather counterproductive post

interesting thread: I realise I have always dismounted in front of the uni (while catching the saddle with my “other hand”)… I may do it elegantly
I think I caught this habit because I feared to fall backwards.
Now that I have a big handle on my Coker I may be obliged to learn the other way…

Thanks for the input everyone - definitely some very good reasons given for dismounting to the rear.

Funnily enough whern I was learning (whilst using a support) I tended to drop off the back of the unicycle, but now that I am riding unsupported I kind of hop off the front.

I will have to start practicing the rear dismount, but in an emergancy…

Cheers!

Simon

I just step off infront while grabbing the back of the seat with my right hand and using the momentum to swing my uni around infront of me so I can walk it. Never really thought of dismounting any other way until now…

I always dismount from the rear (uni in front) of a 36", but usually to the front on a smaller wheel. It seems much more difficult doing a uni-in-front dismount on a small wheel (especially a 20" - I think the only time I’ve ever done that was probably when I did a level 1 test; it feels really awkward and un-natural to me). With a coker you can put loads of weight on the back pedal and just step down. On my 26" muni it doesn’t feel as silly as on a 20", but I still find it more convenient to step off the front.

Another thing is the height of the saddle - a front dismount (uni behind) on a coker puts your saddle-catching arm in a sort of half-nelson.

I can see the safety point about always going uni-in-front when dismounting a giraffe, but I’ve never ridden one.

Rob

Same here, same dismount on my 2 wheeler, my 3 wheeler, and my giraffe.

When I worked the Isle Of Wight festival, and the Garlic festival on my giraffe, I found that the general public can lack common sense and don’t usually move till the latest possible time. This could pose a problem with dismounting with the uni in front. Dismounting with the uni behind makes sense to me, as the area has just been passed through, and would be clear.