How do you break a frame?

i know it can happen, but is there any trick or type of riding that puts significant pressure on the frame itself, causing premature death?

I don’t know the answer to your question but it sounds (from your last two threads) like someone’s considering getting a new uni or maybe making one. Am I right?

Andrew

actually nick is getting this uni for christmas.

Excellent.

Back the car over it, of course:

This “trick” is most effective when not done on purpose. :smiley:

I have also broken my frame by doing tricks that involved standing on it while the unicycle was on it’s side. One fork leg separated from the crown.

I think riding is a lot less likely to cause frame breakage than things that happen to the unicycle when it’s either not being ridden, or being fallen upon.

And a little below on the same page we can see John breaking the “frame” of a Japanese rider:)

Take a Savage unicycle out for some 3 foot drops. That cute little crown won’t look so cute afterwards.
–Amos

i have that unicycle that nick is getting and the frame is quite strong and should hold up to alot, no worries there mate.

later,

justin.

PIXIE STICKS ATTACK!!!

I don’t know about the crown, but any unicycle with cheap side-bolt lolipop bearings is easy to kill. Either tighten, or loosen, the bearing bolts a few turns, then ride normally. It’s only a matter of time!

Note to Joona and others; though I purposely left it hanging on the page, I did not break any Japanese frames. Good thing too, as the last rider in that line was the famous Kato (Yuichiro)!

yeah i have the same frame. mine was bending a lil so i had to fix it. i have the suzue though. i wish it was a proflie

Re: How do you break a frame?

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:56:54 -0600, johnfoss
<johnfoss@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>This “trick” is most effective when not done on purpose. :smiley:

Would it matter?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Friends don’t let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground.”

I’m not sure if I understood you, but Suzue and Profile are usually hubs. Frame’s are the thingies where the wheel and saddle are attached.

I can certainly confirm this. I took my Piece of Savage to Moab this past March for the muni-fest, and while I could barely ride it at the time, what little riding I did was more than enough to crack the frame on both sides in between the two bolts holding the lollipops to the frame tube. It was kind of funny because the day before I was standing around talking to the Johns (Childs and Foss), and I asked them where my POS was likely to break. Without a second’s hesitation they both leaned down and pointed to the same place on the frame, which is the place that by the end of the next day was cracked.

But the plane ticket to Moab was expensive. I’d just go with Foss’s car suggestion. :smiley:

Re: Re: How do you break a frame?

Feelings of surprise and dismay are greatly enhanced when this is not done on purpose. When you plan it (?), there is much less anguish.

Re: How do you break a frame?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:35:48 -0600, johnfoss
<johnfoss@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>When you plan it (?), there is much less anguish.

I doubt that you speak from experience. :slight_smile: The remorse of even
having it planned might more than make up for any lack of anguish.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Friends don’t let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground.”