How did you get into unicycling?

Baltimore Unicycling

Hi Dan,

My brother-in-law lives not far from you in Cockeysville and has a 24 inch Schwinn. I think he’s in his early forties.

He was attending my wedding three years ago and tried out my 20" CyclePro. He picked it up amazingly fast and went right out and bought the Schwinn. He hasn’t done a lot of riding on it since buying it but I think he’d like to improve his skill level.

Pat

I was backpacking in the Andes in Peru… At a hotel in the city of Huaraz I met some people who told me about a nearby mountain movie festival. Well, I attenteded and it contained some cool stuff, skiing, mountaineering etc, but what really drew my attention was two guys doing rooftops and going down on the side of a volcano, all on unicycles! It must have been Unizaba featuring Kris Holm… Taking unicycles offroad grew on my mind for about two years until I made a decision :slight_smile:

Re: How did you get into unicycling?

“jsm” <jsm@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in message news:<jsm.1axxqu@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>…
> As a five year old in Edmonton, Alberta, I saw a unicyclist riding
> through West Edmonton Mall. Since then I have always been somewhat
> interested in unicycling. I viewed it as the next step in the
> progression from tricycle to bicycle. As an eight year old in Alamosa,
> Colorado, I suddenly decided it was time for me to learn to juggle,

For a while I wanted to exercise but found many excuses. After a
divorce in my early 40s, I needed to do something different with life.
Enter unicycling. Great way to divert my mind, reduce stress, keep
fit, learn something new and literally smell the roses :wink:

“jsm” <jsm@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in message news:<jsm.1axxqu@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>…

Just curious “swim learning”; how does your post relate to mine?

“jsm” <jsm@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in message news:<jsm.1b5mty@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>…
> Just curious “swim learning”; how does your post relate to mine?

Look who’s talking :wink: You have not replied to my message but to
someone else’s.

Your message shows up first in this thread on groups.google.com. See
http://tinyurl.com/43zq5. Hence my response to it.

Hey, I also learned 3-ball juggling over the last few years! I have a
tough time learning 4 balls, though.

When I was 11 or 12 I bought an uni at a grage sale cheap. I tried to ride, but found it too hard. I quickly gave up.

I was reading an article a few months ago about people who commute to work on bicycles, and at the very end there was one line about some one who comutes on a unicycle.

I suddenly remembered my failed attempt as a youth, and decied to rekindle the flame. My wife bought me a 24" Torker LX for my 36th birthday (Aug. 5th).

I have been working at it, but the farthest I have been able to go is about 45 feet. But so far I love it.

And yes my legs are killing me.:slight_smile:

the nes game uni racers

Growing up, I knew a couple of young people who could ride unicycles and that always impressed me. In 2003, shortly after I turned 50-years-old, I started looking for something different to do that would provide some activity and exercise. I visited the Memphis Unicycle Club on a Thursday evening. The next day I bought a 20-inch Schwinn.

It took me 2 weeks before I could ride unassisted for more than a few feet. To those of you who are just starting out, it will get easier and your legs will stop hurting so much.

I can ride backwards and I am learning to idle. I have 4 unicycles. My original Schwinn, a Summit, a 24" Yuni MUni and a 26" Semcycle.

I ride at least 30 minutes almost everyday.

The Memphis Unicycle Club is a great group!!

I pedaled and fell and pedaled and fell, and then I rode.

My girlfriend, louise, got me into it. she had a mountain unicycle, and i was very interested. So, back in April, my KH24 finally arrived, and I started riding. I became instantly addicted. My mountain bike is just gathering dust. oh well! corbin… http://www.corbinstreehouse.com

well, one day, i was bored, on the internet, and had nothing important to do, so i thought, "hey, clowns are coll, i think i’ll do a search on unicycling.’’ after seeing just how cool it was, i bugged my parents for months, and, surprise, surprise, a unicycle turned up under the christmas tree.

unicycling story

I got my first uni my freshman year of high school (spring of 2001), and promptly failed to ride it after a week or two of work. It was an ancient Columbia brand with all sorts of rust and squeaks and wobbles and dead padding. Into the garage it went, and would see the light of day for a week or so of work every spring when I got my bike out for the first time of the summer. I finally had enough determination and practice accumulated by this past spring (april 2004) that I could get far enough to not just put it away in disgust after the obligatory week. I could unicycle down the driveway, then across a nearby parking lot, and before a month went by I was taking it to school to ride before and after then to and from work (1 mile each way) every afternoon through the summer. I’m now a freshman at SMSU in a larger city less than an hour from my hometown, and the student body was the originator of the username (not my ego). I recently murdered the columbia ruthlessly on a 5+ foot drop, but have ordered a Torker DX 24" and will be riding proudly again in approximately one week.