Hot Take: Can we finally quit putting brake tabs on the wrong side?

Well, Sorry about that but my comment was a generalization of the comments and replies that are posted. Mine included. Remember the saying, You cannot argue against an opinion not even with facts, because that opinion thinks it is right, that is why it is the opinion. I will apoligize to you for thinking it was directed at you personally. But please note I started with Let’s instead of You, and We, to include myself, Also I stated that I agreed with most of your reasoning, also I will back up your claim about wheels being strong with the inner disc. Bicycle wheels with rear derailer gear clusters have always had the offset that seem to give peaple the feeling that they somehow are not as strong, so much for the fact that they have been that way for at least 100 years. So thank you for the post, it has brought out several facts of this controversy about the new development of a rapidly growing sport and its equipment.

1 Like

Thank You, I think so too.

I have an older generation ISIS 29er Nimbus that has rim brake attachments but no disc brake attachments.
It also doesn’t have a disc attachment on the hub. I have to use an external disc with Spirit cranks if I am to run a disc brake on it, unless I was to discontinue using this particular hub on the uni, and I am not going to do that, lacing a wheel is a lot of work and the hub and wheel is still perfectly fine. It’s not broken so I see no reason to fix it. So, as a solution, i’m currently using a D’brake. D’brakes are less elegant imo than a frame welded tab, but it does work.

So, while there are non disc ISIS hubs in larger wheeled unis, there will still be people who want to use external discs mounted to the right crank out of a necessity. If/when non disc hubs are no longer used in this manner, then perhaps this segment of user will not want external discs. But I think it will take a very long time for it to happen.

As to having disc tab on both sides… I think it’s a plus. You can use a hub with or without a disc attachment and still elegantly run a disc brake regardless. You are very free, as long as the hub width is compatible.

2 Likes

I love using d’brake + KH spirit disc cranks on old unis. So I am happy about them. My best unis are a 29er with disk on the right and a 36er with an inner disc

3 Likes

Seems like an awful lot of trouble and cost when you could have just put on some Maguras and called it a day. Do you like the disc feel better or does your rim not support rim brakes?

Getting my hands on all the bits to set up Maguras is more trouble IMO. I’m in Australia, the availability of things in general is a lot different here to other parts of the world. And I just like disc brakes better anyway (I had Magura rim brakes on a KH24). I happen to have KH Spirit cranks anyway (I like the dual holes and the Q factor - no heel clipping on the crank) and a local guy sells disc brakes quite cheaply so it was easy to get the parts, so it was a no brainer.

2 Likes

In my experience disks are a vast improvement over Magura HS33s. In perfect conditions, set up perfectly maggies aren’t bad, but as soon as you have any dust or water, or a non-ideal setup (slightly damaged/out of true rim) then they’re a bit naff.

3 Likes

Love the control and modulation of disc brakes, that is why I started making my own unicycle disc hubs in the early 2000’s. also not afraid of bashing down hills and destroying rims out of trueness and still able to ride. (as long as they still rotate between the frame)

2 Likes

I just got screwed by this, I bought a 36" wheel from someone on this forum then ordered a Kris Holms frame and the brake mounting tabs dont line up. I didnt even know this was an option, ugh!

You aren’t screwed, you just need a brake mount plus either spirit cranks or a d’brake adapter.

Add photos if you get stuck.

1 Like

I would love to ride spirit twinholes for freestyle if they didnt all have knobs for disc attachement

They exist without disc attachment: Spirit Cranks | Kris Holm Unicycles

But they’re too long for freestyle as they don’t go under 110mm.

3 Likes

Isn’t zero q the standard for freestyle? I may be a bit ignorant here, but I’d be thinking that anything that makes pedaling less smooth would be detrimental.

2 Likes

for @finnspin

To add my two cents to the conversation:
If today I had to choose between a schlumpf 36" wheel with a carbon rim and an external disc brake or a schlumpf 36" wheel with an aluminum rim with a magura HS33 pad brake, I would choose the 2nd one.

In my opinion, a 36" frame with a magura HS33 pad brake mount is more schlumpf friendly than a 36" frame with an external disc brake mount.

2 Likes

The external disk situation is part of the reason why I sold, and then didn’t buy another Schlumpf hub. I borrowed one to test not so long ago (admittedly not a latest gen), but the braking through the gearing really put me off.
I also slightly deformed the ISIS interface on a set of Spirits in the process of testing.

I’ve otherwise not had issues with my external disk fixed wheel though and I accelerate and brake hard (203mm disk, and I almost always do a brake coast when stopping, or a brake assisted emergency stop if I need to stop quicker).

I’m going to find it much harder to resist a new internal disk Schlumpf if/when I have the spare cash.

2 Likes

Yea theres spirit without the disc mount but with twin(or tripple) hole it would just be even cooler :slight_smile: theyve made them so that all the twinholes has the discmount which is a fair crowd assumption i guess but i happen to be a freestyler that like twinholes haha, im also fine with 110 and over. I get the speed from my wheel diameter :wink:

Interesting conversation. At the end of the day, we’re a niche market so it’s probably hard for manufacturers to offer tons of options without the prices going through the roof!

There are many stories out there of people riding on chrome crappy 20" unis on all terrains because there was nothing else available (changing the tire being the only option really). So we shouldn’t complain now that we can have high quality frames with two tabs at a decent price, or cranks with disc mount. And if those extra bits are really a problem, a angle grinder should help.

8 Likes

Don’t use a grit disc on aluminium. It gets stuck between the grit particles, heats, expands and can split the disc.

1 Like

I don’t feel bad about offering my ONE4ALL unicycle forks with two brake mounts. However, it is a Magura mount and disc.
Switzerland is a small country and many unicyclists still buy abroad. So I have a very small clientele.
Since I had a minimum order of 100 forks per size, I was faced with the choice of having 200 forks produced per size or 100 with both sockets.
In the end it’s good for me as a dealer and for the buyer: If he wants to configure a unicycle, he has free choice of hubs with the same fork.

Sure, many are now smiling at the Magura rim brakes, they are considered outdated. I still enjoy riding with them. If you have found the right rim - brake pad combination and can grip the brake lever well, they are as good as entry-level disc brakes. There is also eg. by BBB brake pads the dirt / water repellency. I think many have not tested enough and only tried the black Magura brake pad. You can also experiment with brake lever holders. I’ve come to the conclusion that a T-shaped mount is much better than this spaceship mount.

Brake mounts are not heavy and are relatively inexpensive when welded in series. You’d better save the weight on the rim, tire and tube. Some factory MUni have a cheap Duro tube with 500g weight. You can forget the few grams of brake sockets.

4 Likes