hopping

After a year of refusing to learn to hop I’ve relented (due to seeing Universe and a lot of video clips where it is apparent that hopping is very useful)
Previous attempts had been a bit timid and I’ve found the most usefull thing is to hop higher; there seems to be a inbuilt stabilising effect where the uni is pulled up into a vertical balanced position.
On the whole, although I’ve only just started to get the hang of it, I can tell it’s going to be a lot easier than when I learned to idle.
I’ve also found that Kris Holms ‘hopping workshop’ from the lutkus? ftp site to be very useful i.e. seeing hopping as being from one still stand to another, rather than pogoing.
I’ve got a question- I know a bloke who hops with his feet on the axle rather than the pedals, he says this puts less strain on the cranks and axle. In all the Muni/trails clips I’ve seen, no one does this, is there a reason i.e. do you get insufficient control with feet on the axle?

Re: hopping

With your feet on the axle you have much less control and your feet slide
around alot, making it pretty much useless for trials.

Dylan

standing on the cranks does let you do some neat freestyle tricks like seat drops and foot loops.
stillstands are esier on the cranks too.

but if your jumping off stuff you’ll want to do it the proper way not only because there not as grippy as the pedals but also because when you land a drop you’ll want to bend at the knees to absorb the impact

Standing on the cranks doesn’t stop you bending at the knees, but it does stop you rolling out.

If you insist on landing without absorbing any shock through rolling out or you bending, standing on the cranks is probably better on the hub and cranks as there’s less torque put on them. However I doubt this even comes close to making up for the better grip afforded by the pedals and saving your equipment by rolling or bending at the knees and waist.

Phil