Hopping up slopes

I’ve been working on hopping up a long 50% sloped grassy hill at the local high school. The slope is a little less at the bottom; when I get to the truly 50% part, I don’t get that far. Also, since it is long I run out of steam. I think that with application I’ll be able to do the whole thing. I’d like to hear about the experiences of other people if possible – any suggestions or advice?

I know it’s pretty close to 50% without tilting my monitor’s inclinometer because there is a loooong set of stairs that run down it. Someday I’ll actually measure the rise and run of each step.

I often do the same on a quite steep and thick grassed hill. Due to most of the grass this is very tiring and slow. But after several attempts one day i figured out the secret “pace”. All you have to do is figure out a slow and comfortable beat that you want to keep on and stay with it after ajusting it to your needs. Thats the way i learned to hop uphil and it works with riding in general(except muni).

Hope I helped and have fun conquering the hill
-Eric:D

Re: Hopping up slopes

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:11:04 -0600, Catboy
<Catboy.dbb3m@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>I often do the same on a quite steep and thick grassed hill. Due to most
>of the grass this is very tiring and slow. But after several attempts
>one day i figured out the secret “pace”. All you have to do is figure
>out a slow and comfortable beat that you want to keep on and stay with
>it after ajusting it to your needs. Thats the way i learned to hop uphil
>and it works with riding in general(except muni).

1. Why “except muni”? Unevenness of terrain?
  2. Is your wheel still pointing up the slope like it would be if you
    rode up, or do you turn 90 degrees so as to kill the wheel’s tendency
    to roll down at each hop?

Klaas Bil

I posted only a single copy of this message.

I said except muni because muni is not a style where you can ride with a beat you have to stop and hop slodown for hill and such and dont get me wrong i live for muni but pace riding and Muni dont mix.
Yes I do turn 90 degrees or else you’ll usually fall forward when hopping straight up.