Home Made Impossible / BC Wheel

Its not a bad concept, i just see a few problems with it and that is the purple thing would fall to the ground constantly. So you would either have a hard time riding it, Have to hold onto it and/or scraping it so much.

It would only fall to the ground if your feet arent on it… its only when you fall off or just try to push it along without standing on it.

Kinda like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MAGIC-WHEEL-SCOOTER-SKATEBOARD-MAGICWHEEL-UNICYCLE_W0QQitemZ180411570621QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a015e19bd

wheel-thing.jpg

except we dont allow two wheels…

Hence “Kinda”…
If you removed the caster, the foot holds would likely hit the ground! Anyway, it was just to fuel MuniOrBust’s idea machine…

I was just giving you a hard time. And people with two wheels two of course…

No worries. I have two wheels, I just ride one at a time!

:stuck_out_tongue:

i think its a good idea. i actually thort about it at one point but it never occured to me that it would fall to the bottom. all it realy needs to do is to stop your legs from hitting the tire but in a way that it makes it easer to ride by clenching it with your legs to keep you balance like that other two wheeled thing

I think it’s an awesome idea! i you’re putting a handle on that you can ride some awesome street on it I thin!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course that purple part would be crazy heavy if it was made of the same plate steel as the foot plates.
Maybe it would be some aluminum tubing extending up from the foot plates with some kind of plastic shield to make it effectively wider. Curved at the top.

I could imagine the added weight/momentum could be harder on your ankles/calves. For example, take a pencil in your fist and point it to sky. Move it back and forth quickly with your wrist only. No problem. Now get a metal pipe 10 feet tall and do the same. I think that will bother your wrist.
But my analogy could be wrong, or maybe the difference (pencil vs 10 foot pipe) is too extreme.
Again, I’ve never ridden a BC wheel.

It would probably have to be built to really find out if it was workable and fun.

There’s no reason the design MuniOrBust wouldn’t work. I’ve attempted to ride a BC wheel of similar design. It was Keith MacKay’s eccentric BC wheel which he brought to the 2009 UniNats. Being eccentric, it was quite tricky to ride. The neat thing about Keith’s design was the degree of eccentricity could be adjusted.

I’ve also ridden one of those Magic Wheels. The odd thing about them is that they are way more stable and predictable if you ride them backwards! That is with the castor wheel in front rather than behind.

Knut build such kind of BC just a few weeks before but he was using an old frame so you can use a saddle if you like.
his one got also an electric drive.

an other benefit of this construction is that it will stop in case of UPD much faster than the common one;)
I hope we will see pics soon…

Heh, reminded me of this thread. The possibilities are interesting.

Alright, lemme give this a shot - Make a wheel with a lightweight legguard, and heavy footplates, so that with a smooth push, the footplates weigh enough for the legguards to be cantilevered in the air, thereby making it roll smoothly when you aren’t on it, and then be safe to lean against without messing up your legs when riding.

Hopefully the image will make it more clear.

BCwheel.png

tesseracter, nice drawing! Someone should build that!

davidp, that thread was cool. It makes me want to build uni-bike or whatever it is.
I might have a dusty bike in the garage to sacrifice.

Thanks, that was 5 minutes in Inkscape, a great vector illustration program. I like it better than illustrator.

I would think it would be easier to ride if the plates were lower. That is why the plates were made in the first place, and why we don’t just use pegs.

EDIT:
Hey, David, that was my thread!

Hey could i make a BC wheel out of an old freestyle uni wheel set and the jus buy some foot plates? would that work?

You certainly could, in the same sense that you could build a unicycle out of a bicycle wheel (my current project, basically).

I think bicycle wheels are about perfect for bc wheels though: the platforms have to move freely from the hub, and that’s what bicycle axles do, so you can attach them directly. You’d have to either find a way to make the unicycle wheelset’s axle rotate freely in the hub, or mount each platform on a bearing. I don’t know how well that would work either, since I think the platforms are not supposed to rotate freely in relation to each other.

I don’t bc-wheel so I could be way out on this.

This is a very good idea I had it myself when I made my impossible (bc) whee. And ass for all the people saying it would fall right down: i don’t think that would happen if you were standing on it but I do like the idea someone had with the aluminum tubing with the plastic.