home made geared uni

Thats pretty god damn impressive.

well done that is cool, :astonished: i was thinkin about making on but dont have the time or money at the moment, good way of doing it though well done

Dude, that is so awesome on so many levels…

Homemade gear drive unicycle

Anybody looked at the shaft drive bicycle from Dynamic Bicycles? I wonder if the 8 speed planetary geared rear axle in that thing could be rigged to “run solid”. Think about it, an 8 speed uniycle with shaft drive.
I’ve been riding one of the bikes off and on for about two years but never have looked at the way the rear axle is rigged for coasting to see if it could be rigged “solid”. The geared rear axle is made by Shimano.

Congrats on the successfull completion!

Love the paint job. If the parts were newish it may have even looked like a production run:) :roll_eyes: :slight_smile:

Me too.:o

Here a few new shots.Also there are photos of guni dismantled in earlier posts in this thread.

Thats pretty god damn impressive

Thanks for sharing

The pic’s and story really show a lot. I think you are a bumbling garage hack LOL.:slight_smile: But you already know that. It looks like you are having fun. Thank you for blessing the forum with your stuff. Welcome, Danger dog, sir.:slight_smile:

You are quite the bodger though. I find it odd that anyone would compare you to the spam Dakorman’s whatever miracle drive bull. I accord you great respect as a determined fabricator. Not that I am impressed really, just that it’s great to see someone learning and sharing so much, and as I am sure UNisk8tor and others think as they read my crap, your crap is so much more then anything I have ever offered. Not that I am calling your crap…crap. Rather, it is very obvious to astute observers that you are on to something. I see in your future great unicycles, you are both talented and determined. Your future constructions shall make this present piece of art seem like one of Picasso’s napkin sketches.

Many of us have plans of the great guni, yet most are like me, building nothing, instead of like you. A man of action. :sunglasses:

Still, it is a crap design, the jackshaft arrangement. It works, but no matter how well you align it, even with perfect fabrication, two chains in series has double the mechanical friction of a single set of chain and sprocket.

My idea for a better design, (shared by many, not really mine) would be to have a chain and sprocket set for each side of the wheel. I think that would be the ultimate design, because of lower drive train friction.

Anyway, thank you for the effort you have put forth, and your cool pictures.I hope you keep visiting the forum. You are a real uni making artist.:slight_smile:

Why do you think two chains in parallel have less drag than two chains in series? All I can see that would be “better” about that design would be that you could have the crank “axle” at a different height from the wheel axle, possibly making mounting a big wheel easier (cranks below wheel centre, as long as you have long enough legs) or perhaps reducing pedal strikes on a muni (cranks above wheel centre). All drive systems (except fixed) on a unicycle are going to introduce more drag than on a bike because of the wish to get rid of all backlash, necessitating running the gearing or chain tighter than on a bike.

Rob

have asked this question to Rohloff (maker of another planetary gear)… response: no way to get rid of the free wheel.:frowning:
I really think that CVT is the way to go…

But you have to put the pedal axles out of line with the centre of the wheel then. You can put the pedal axle above the wheel, and have either a very small wheel (yuck) or a giraffe (yuck), neither good for distance. Or else you have to work out some way to mount the pedals on separate axles one on either side of the wheel, which typically causes an awful lot of stress on the frame, and the way the pedalling twists the frame and hence the top sprocket means that the chain drive is less efficient or doesn’t work.

Joe

George Barnes made a beautiful rendition of this a few years back. His links are unfortunately dead. George does gorgeous work.

That is a beauty danerdog! Kudos for such a nice piece of work!

Because the driven side alternates with each pedal stroke, the two sprocket sets aren’t in parallel. Only one set of sprockets is transmitting power at a time. With a jackshaft design, frictional loss is double that of a single set of chain and sprockets.

I know it seems a little counter intuitive, but friction power loss is worse with a loose chain then a tight one. Here is a link to a study that shows this odd fact.

http://www.jhu.edu/news_info/news/home99/aug99/bike.html

So a chain set on each side of the wheel should improve handling, by minimizing drive line lash, which should be doubled in a series pair of chains (jackshaft ) system.

As far as making it rigid enough to eliminate twist, I don’t know, having never tried. I assume it could be done. For that matter, on the jackshaft designs, all the driving torque is also going through the one fork leg that the jackshaft is mounted on.

My compliments to the several inventive craftsman that have shared their pic’s and stuff on the forum. I just wanted to make the point that there is likely a way to set it up that would waste less power.

I tried to find power loss figures for planetary gear systems, but no luck so far. I suspect that for an all out racing uni, the design with the lowest power train loss would be fastest. Perhaps the lower pedal position needed to afix the primary sprocket below the driven axle might improve handling as well. Or maybe not.

Just an update on my guni.My original design brief was to make a uni that could do the Sydney Olympic Park /Parramatta River loop ride which is around 16km(10 miles) and I had to be able to keep up with my friend on his bike.The first time I tried I had a minor mechanical failure with a cracked weld,I made good the repairs and was ready for another attempt when I injured myself while skateboarding and I was out of action for six weeks.Well on saturday I finally did it ,mission accomplished.Some may say why didn’t I just buy a coker or a 29er, well I like a challenge .16km is by far the longest uni ride that I have done and was a huge challenge for me but I realise it is like a ride around the block compared with the distances many on this forum regularly do and credit to them.

Just an update on my guni.My original design brief was to make a uni that could do the Sydney Olympic Park /Parramatta River loop ride which is around 16km(10 miles) and I had to be able to keep up with my friend on his bike.The first time I tried I had a minor mechanical failure with a cracked weld,I made good the repairs and was ready for another attempt when I injured myself while skateboarding and I was out of action for six weeks.Well on saturday I finally did it ,mission accomplished.Some may say why didn’t I just buy a coker or a 29er, well I like a challenge .16km is by far the longest uni ride that I have done and was a huge challenge for me but I realise it is like a ride around the block compared with the distances many on this forum regularly do and credit to them.

Well done!
10 miles going as fast as you can is not easy, no matter what the uni.

I was a little slow to respond but here it is

I want one :slight_smile:

So beautiful! :astonished: I wish I had mad metal working skills, I’d try and build one myself!