Home Made 28" Ultimate wheel

woops didn’t catch the clearcoat part… :stuck_out_tongue:

How about using two plywood pieces that are each half as thick a the final disk. A router could be used to make the spokes on the inside surface of each disk but not cut through. That way the outside surface stays smooth. The edges of the disks could be chamfered or stepped so that when they are sandwiched together they capture the rim. Wooden dowels could be used to make the final assembly.

+1
If you cut “spokes” I’d use thicker plywood though. If you do it right, I bet you could get it lighter and/or stronger than w/ a thinner sheet.

I’ve heard you can make it really strong if you sandwich a sheet of metal (stiff Al alloy?) w/ plywood it’s stronger than the same stacked. (or you could even sandwich the plywood w/ the Al.

cool!

Huge Favor

Hey, I’m looking into building a UW and i would love it if you could post pictures or instructions of how the plywood connects to the frame. I think i get everything else. It would be much appreciated! :smiley:

It’s pretty simple. I used wood screws through the nipple holes in the rim. If you pilot drill the holes you don’t run the risk of delaminating the plywood, but other than that it’s pretty straight forward. I suppose round headed screws might be easier on your rimstip/tube, but I don’t know if that matters too much.

okay thanks. that leaves me with only one more problem… what kind of pedals did you use and where can i buy some like them? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I’m afraid I’m knew to this. Thanks!

I used 1/2 pedals, with right and left threaded nuts.