Home Made 28" Ultimate wheel

Yeah at the end of my post I said I got the idea from you.

I guess I missed that. Still yours looks far nicer than mine. Maybe if I made mine look better I would be able to ride it as well as you. Just kidding.

Does that ever give you splinters from your legs rubbing against the wood?

EDIT: Nicely done!!!

How do you pump up the tire?
The valve seems blocked by the wood.

He said he painted it with clearcoat.
Plus, wood that hard if sanded well wouldnt really give you splinters anyway.

Can you post better pics of the pedal mounts maybe from an angle.
I dont really really see what they are and I would love to make one like this.

Here are the pix of the mounts that I made for my UW. He used the same basic setup. You have to scroll down a bit to see the photo’s, I hadn’t taken them when I originally made the post.

Thanks I couldnt find your thread but had heard about it. I think Ill do the same but spot weld the washers to the nuts for added strength against them developing play in the wood.

Did you guys find the wood precut in the circle or do you have some nice powertools?

I cut mine with a handheld jigsaw. If I do a nicer version i will use my bandsaw and make a circle jig for it.

what would you use to make the jig?

Basically it’s like an extension table made from HDF with a pin at the radius of my circle. You make a hole for the pin in the plywood, and place the hole on the pin. Then you just need to rotate the plywood, and the pin keeps the radius constant. If you don’t want a hole in the middle of the circle you can put a screw into the plywood, and have a matching hole at the radius in the HDF.

I don’t have any good power saws so I’m going to swing by Home Depot and see what they have to offer.
Maybe Ill get lucky and find a prefab tabletop or maybe they can cut it for me, if not Ill see if one of my local contractors around here can hook me up.
Ive already got some old 26" wheels and tires around.

Thanks for the heads-up on pedal thread pitch, Ill be sure to bring the pedals I have in mind with me when buying the nuts.

On another note anyone just try riding a Uni wheel with no frame attached?
Or does the fact that the cranks are on the on the hub make it diff from pedals attached directly to the rim?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I can see it being different but dont really know why

What if you modified his idea with use of a router? You could put a screw in the middle and tie the router to the screw with a cord/string and then keep it taught to maintain the circumference? If not a router, possibly the same idea with a jig saw (power obviously) or if you have steady hands even a sawzall (REALLY steady hands)?

you could loop the string around a washer that will fit around the screw even, this might give you a smoother cut

Any thoughts about doing this for a 36"?

Would it be too heavy?

How much could you cut out without losing support?

you mean like cutting out “spokes”? I imgine the way plywood is made you could cut out quite a bit since the grains are crossed and glued. Whats nice about plywood too is that even the thick stuff has a bit of flexibility to it so if you put a lot of pressure in an area that is cut around the wood might flex before breaking.

woops didn’t catch the clearcoat part… :stuck_out_tongue:

How about using two plywood pieces that are each half as thick a the final disk. A router could be used to make the spokes on the inside surface of each disk but not cut through. That way the outside surface stays smooth. The edges of the disks could be chamfered or stepped so that when they are sandwiched together they capture the rim. Wooden dowels could be used to make the final assembly.

+1
If you cut “spokes” I’d use thicker plywood though. If you do it right, I bet you could get it lighter and/or stronger than w/ a thinner sheet.

I’ve heard you can make it really strong if you sandwich a sheet of metal (stiff Al alloy?) w/ plywood it’s stronger than the same stacked. (or you could even sandwich the plywood w/ the Al.

cool!

Huge Favor

Hey, I’m looking into building a UW and i would love it if you could post pictures or instructions of how the plywood connects to the frame. I think i get everything else. It would be much appreciated! :smiley:

It’s pretty simple. I used wood screws through the nipple holes in the rim. If you pilot drill the holes you don’t run the risk of delaminating the plywood, but other than that it’s pretty straight forward. I suppose round headed screws might be easier on your rimstip/tube, but I don’t know if that matters too much.