Hip Pain?

Hi!

I’ve been riding my UDC 29" brakeless road uni nearly every day in Dublin, Ireland. I’m up to 96.94 miles for July and I ride almost every day. I’m noticing hip pain and my thought is that it may be from pedalling so much, not having handlebars and a better saddle, relying on my legs to slow me down (back pressure to slow down), and simply because I’m riding so often haha.

Does this happen to anyone? If so, what should I do to help resolve this?

Thank you!
~ Cedar

My current setup:

I’ve no idea if this is the case for you or not, but when I was having hip pain it turned out to have nothing to do with my hip. I was suffering from sciatica, a back injury, which manifested itself as pain in my hip. If you’ve done anything to seriously stress your back lately it might be the cause of your hip pain.

It could be lots of other things too though. I understand Ireland has pretty decent healthcare, but as a new resident that might not be as affordable as it would be for a native. Personally, I’d wait a week and if it doesn’t get better I’d see a doctor.

1 Like

I’d try removing the church that is attached to your unicycle… :grin:

5 Likes

I think you should leave your uni there. It is a work of art that way. Just put a sign with your name under it.
I never have hip pane but at some point I did have pain in my lower back from riding. That went away again and nowadays I only have knee pain. On bigger wheels more than on smaller.

1 Like

I could imagine that your muscles are not accustomed to riding almost every day. Like Setonix I had pain in my lower back when I started learning to idle, which I did some days in a row. I had hard times even lacing my shoes, but it really helped to rest for some days. Times were boring, though.
Stretching after your rides might be another idea, but I would wait until your pain stops :wink:

1 Like

just a thought, you may want to try raising or lowering your seat a little and see if that helps
changing the way you sit can make a big difference too

1 Like

Are you comfortable on that saddle?

1 Like

Crank length. My hips hurt just looking at the picture of your setup.

I generally ride around 100km (62 miles) a week (primarily on unicycles). This month I have cycled a bit less because it is a holiday period and my routines are disrupted. Nonetheless I have unicycled 87.6 km (54.4 miles) thus far in July (123.8km [76.9 miles] if you include all forms of cycling I do).

I currently ride brakeless, with no handlebars, primarily on a 24" or 26" and have never noticed any hip pain. I too wonder about your saddle height. Also what is your crank length? I rarely ride anything longer 125mm and spend a fair amount of time on 100mm.

I have logged over a 1000 on my udc 29er trainer with 125 cotterless cranks. This uni has been very good to me.
Now for the hips, I to have had hip and knee pain this year and it could be that I’m nearing 53. A biking friend has helped me by giving me this stretch to do, while seated pull your leg up onto the opposite thigh and with both hands one at your ankle and the other at your shin gently pull up towards your chest and hold until you feel it in your hip. I understand this pain is typical for cyclist of all ages. As for the excercise I have no scientific basis for it but I have incorporated it into my before and after ride stretches and it has helped. I have always found unicycling harder on the body the biking for many reasons including upd’s.

Pretty sure those are 125mm. Do you consider that length problematic on a 29er?

125mm on a 29" would be a problem for me. Like @Bug72, I am approaching 53. Lots of hills and uneven terrain in my neighborhood. Shorter cranks may require sudden, strenuous corrections, putting stress on the ankles, knees and hips. Longer cranks seem to exercise a larger range of motion. If you’re accustomed to cruising on short cranks, then switching to longer cranks will feel like slogging. Not ideal, but perhaps better than injury.

All aspects of unicycling are interrelated. When I learned to ride with both hands on the handlebars, I was able to spin bigger, smoother circles, the feeling of the dead zone at the bottom of the cranks diminished, I no longer felt that long cranks were throwing me off balance with each pedal stroke, and (most importantly to this thread) my hips started to rise and fall more naturally during each pedal stroke, adding to the effective length of my pedal stroke and keeping my hips from being frozen in place. And, riding two-handed moves the balance from one or both outstretched hands to the hips, increasing hip mobility.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advice, I appreciate it! :smiley:

@elpuebloUNIdo Thank you so much for the thorough response! The cranks may be contributing to it. I also noticed that when I ride slower, the pain stops. I’ve been basically sprinting more recently for the majority of each ride, so there is that too. I’m also not super used to riding so much. The pain isn’t that bad, but I do want to change my setup slightly so I wouldn’t have hip pain. Thank you again for your response, I appreciate it!

1 Like