Highway retaining wall riding

Anybody else riding these things. We have two different highway sections that have these perfect walls to ride, hop, whatever on top of. I suppose some might drop these. We rode a section on Sunday until the Sheriff arrived. He told us that what we were doing was legal, but someone had called in and said that we were creating a traffic jam by people slowing down to watch. What a butthead. The sheriff was so into it, he watched the movie we were taking, with traffic stopped behind him, that was cool. My son is on top of the upper wall hopping.

That looks soooooo cool, but it’s waaaaaaaay outta my league!!!

hot diggity that looks like fun. can’t wait to come to aspen.

-grant

Cool, there is a nice drop opportunity there too…right over on the right…but not the bigger one. :slight_smile:

Andrew

That looks like good training for the Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe. :slight_smile:
The good part of the Flume Trail is riding along a rather non-technical trail with a big drop on your left.

That Flume trail looks awesome! MUniing big exposed areas like that are not for the faint of heart.

Hey Mike…this is a long shot but do you know Danny Taylor, he lives up around your area. I thought you might because you both do residential work, he’s a carpenter and a builder.

He also knows how to unicycle although I don’t think he rides one anymore…

No, I don’t. Who does he work for?

I think i rode that exact same wall actually, are those walls on the way to copper mountain if i am coming from the denver area? if not there are some that look exactly like that on the way to copper mountain that i rode once…crazy… :sunglasses:

>>>are those walls on the way to copper mountain if i am coming from the denver area?>>>

No, there in Snowmass Canyon on the way to Aspen. They seem to be standard for CDOT. Fun huh! :sunglasses:

Great picture Mike. That looks like a ton of fun. Does CDOT consult with unicyclista for project input? --chirokid–

Re: Highway retaining wall riding

I’m still trying to figure out the butthead part. Both the sheriff and the caller are thinking in terms of public safety, namely yours. They’re not trying to ruin your day, it’s really the other way around!

Those look like fun walls though; wide enough to be “accessible” to many of us.

The Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe is one of the most scenic rides out there. For more pictures, got to my Photo Albums listing and click on one of these choices:

Re: Re: Highway retaining wall riding

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by johnfoss
[B]I’m still trying to figure out the butthead part. Both the sheriff and the caller are thinking in terms of public safety, namely yours. They’re not trying to ruin your day, it’s really the other way around!

I seriously doubt the caller was thinking of my safety, and I certainly was NOT trying to ruin the callers day! DUH!!! The sheriff was sincerely bummed that he had to stop us, but we understood his duty to act. It was Sunday, traffic was very light, maybe 3 or 4 cars at a time every couple of minutes, and the walls don’t affect the traffic one bit. Unfortunately the sheriff was responding to a public person who has no openmindess to adventure and fun, in other words a “butthead”. We accepted complete responsibility for our actions. You should see some of the actions people take on the ski slopes, this was minor in comparison.