highest hoppers

I can (or rather, HAVE) rolling hopped 26 inches, and SIF with prehop maybe…24 inches.

I’m guessing…69 and 60 centimeters?

Well after reading this thread, I went stright out and SIF hopped 26"!! Woo-hoo! I only made it once, because when I did I strained something in my shoulder and it hurts now… I don’t know why or how…

Not 69 centimeters, that was a typo. I think its somewere around 64? 64.5?

I can do 80cm rolling… but there’s nothing else near my house that is a little bit higher, so I’ve been at 80cm for around 6-12 months… I’d rather practise other things anyway.

No, it’s not at all like that. Centimetres are afterall part of the English language and this is an English speaking forum.

The metric system is obviously easier and more accurate, we live in a decimal (base 10) world afterall. Just because your forefathers thought it was a good idea to follow the English in everything they do, doesn’t mean it’s the best way of doing things in the modern world.

Re: highest hoppers

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:53:03 -0600, gpickett00 wrote:

>It is a USA dominated forum and that means that we should use inches. I
>understand that most of the world does not use inches but it is what we
>use and we aren’t going to change for somebodys lacking math skills.
>(to convert)

Only the USA, Liberia and Myanmar (formerly Birma) haven’t switched to
metric yet. What a fine bunch!

A history of the metrication efforts in the USA, and some of the
problems related to the resistance to metrication are spelled out in

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit diddle dit dit dit diddle dit dit, diddle-diddle-diddle-diddle-dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it,… - Spudman”

Pete, I know that metric makes more sense. The metric system is much clearer than than the our system. But as stubborn as you are, you are not willing to look at other peoples point of view. Going on to a USA forum and telling us to use a different system of measurement is just as difficult as you trying to convert to inches. You already stated how difficult it was for a below average person like yourself to convert inches to centimeters. So just understand that for most average people its a pain in the ass to appease you by giving centimeters.

I made a 70 cm hop up on some pallets. Never tried over a bar…
My rolling hop sucks though.

Don’t laugh - about 5cm (which is lower than I can roll) But it’s a start. And I couldn’t even do that until last Sunday. I have mind blocks rather than lack of hopping ability.

But I WILL get there. Especially after I get my onza trials for my birthday. I’m not ashamed to say I’m just beginning.

Cathy

Is this a USA forum??
Because for me, unicyclist.community means community of unicyclists, all over the world, even if it has been created by an american.
Maybe I’m wrong…

I think instead of some people converting for the other measurment, to satisfy some people, we should just do the conversion ourselvs and post BOTH measurments. Then everybody can be happy.

Or if we are really intrested in how high a speciel person can hop, we can convert it ourself.

for example, type 37 cm to inches in google. And you get teh result.

Got 37" today, which is 93-94cm. SIF, using a prehop.

Your mum’s below average.

It’s not that hard to make the switch, just read the other side of the tape measure or whatever, no need to convert anything.

But yeah, I’ll try and mend my stubborn ways and post both inches AND cm from now on. It’s good when people make that effort coz I spose it is cool when you can say “I jumped 3ft” or whatever, if that ever happens.

I just got a keyring with a measuring tape on it so I’ll probably know when I break another record, gerblefranklin you’re pretty awesome, and you post inches and cm so you’re kind of my idle. You’re also one of the nominees for this years unicyclist.com best grammar award, gratz :slight_smile:

Pete

Uhhh… thanks. Me? Grammar? aint finna happen…

Pete, in all fairness to us Americans, we are so elitist that the standard measuring tape doesn’t include metric units, just as our standard calipers only read in decimal inches (whew! I’ve gotten thrown off by thinking the ruler I was using was graduated in fractional inches when in fact it was decimal).

Metric is more logical, however for me it’s a conception issue: I have a test indicator where one graduation is 0.002mm. That number is meaningless to me, except to say pretty damn small. It is about equal to 0.000079 inches, if I remeber correctly, and THAT number means something to me, since I simply round to 0.0001" and that is abut 1/20th the thickness of a human hair. Rounding is okay at that point, because it’s so accurate that temperature variations will affect the readings, so to call the ninein that number a sig. fig. is stupid.

I don’t give absolute measurements for my sidehops because I don’t carry a measuring tape and also, even when I do, often there’s a slight slope or a crown to the ledge preventing readings more accurate than 1/2" or ~1cm.

Imperial units are great for some obscure uses: As a machinist I use imperial for measurements partly because I know 0.002" is ~1 human hair, which is useful. One thou is a great unit because it’s generally accurate enough, yet relatively easy to achieve. For logic circuits in physics experiments, the foot is nice because 1’ is about how far an electronic signal travells in 1ns. It makes timing your cables much easier.

I dont think 37" is 94 cm… I do 30" and Im at 70 cm…

37" = 93.98 cm

30" = 76 cm

Me too.

Cathy

Re: highest hoppers

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 04:17:03 -0600, fexnix wrote:

>37" = 93.98 cm
>
>30" = 76 cm

Matching the precision of the first conversion (which is overkill for
hopping though), 30" is exactly 76.20 cm.

One inch is exactly 2.54 cm. It’s that easy, folks.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit diddle dit dit dit diddle dit dit, diddle-diddle-diddle-diddle-dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it,… - Spudman”