Hi from Philippines!

Hi, I’m Nelvin from Philippines.

I just bought a Nimbus II 20" unicycle from Japan and I just started learning it a few days ago. I got interested in unicycle when I had to choose between a bike (bulky and can’t get in bus) and a kick scooter (portable but small wheels) for going to work. I’m happy I found this forum to learn from.

Unicycle is not yet popular in my country. It is hard for me to find someone whom I can practice it with. I am currently stuck in learning to balance after hoping on to the uni. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a good day.

Welcome to the forum, Nelvin. There are many discussions on the forum giving advice to beginners. Here are a few suggestions:

• Wear safety gear. You will avoid injury. You will be less afraid of falling.
  • Buy all the tools you need to check the tightness of your unicycle. Hex wrench (metric) set and pedal wrench.
  • Find a block of time in your daily schedule to practice. 5 minutes here and there is not a good way to succeed.
  • Measure your progress in tiny steps, and celebrate your tiny successes.
  • Accept the fact that you will look like an idiot in front of your neighbors during the awkward beginner stages.

Good luck! Keep practicing!

Hi Nelvin! That’s good advice from elpuebloUNIdo. I agree with all of what he said.

As far as finding someone to practice with: Although I live in the US, there are very few unicyclists in the part of the country where I live so I had to learn by myself just like you. My unicycling friends while I was learning were my friends here on this forum. Keep checking back and letting us know how your practice is going. I sometimes found myself thinking about what my next forum report would be even while I was practicing, and sometimes that encouraged me to try just it a few more times or to try something I hadn’t thought of doing before.

Good luck, stay safe, and be patient. It takes a while and most of us were frustrated and discouraged at times, but you will get it if you give it time and keep at it.

We just had asia pacific unicycle championships and there were 3 Filipinos there. I can try and find a contact for them if you like

Thank you guys for the encouragement. I’ll embrace that fun fact. :laughing:

Thank you! I’d like that. I just hope they live nearby.

After spending an hour per day for about 3 weeks, I am in pure happiness just experiencing that winding movement without touching any wall or railing. Hahaha celebrate tiny successes.

Hi Nelvin. I’m new to the Uni world as well (from Trinidad and Tobago). I know your struggle with finding other riders lol. So far just me and I’ve heard of a few riders on the neighbouring island (Tobago)… never met them.

Some motivation! Took me 12 hours over a 5 day period of wobbling and hopping off before I could ride solo. Only available space is a public one but I got lots of encouragement and congratulations when persons saw me progressing (even if it was for like a 3-foot distance). So keep at it!

I own a Sun Classic 20" (literally one of 4 sold by the only bike shop on the island that had any). So far I’ve managed to do some light trail rides and a hill ride without too much pressure. Would like to upgrade to a 26" Muni if I can convince myself to pay the ridiculous shipping fees to get it here.

Trev

during the awkward beginner stages.
[/LIST]

Good luck! Keep practicing!
[/QUOTE]

Hi Nelvin. I’m new to the Uni world as well (from Trinidad and Tobago). I know your struggle with finding other riders lol. So far just me and I’ve heard of a few riders on the neighbouring island (Tobago)… never met them.

Some motivation! Took me 12 hours over a 5 day period of wobbling and hopping off before I could ride solo. Only available space is a public one but I got lots of encouragement and congratulations when persons saw me progressing (even if it was for like a 3-foot distance). So keep at it!

I own a Sun Classic 20" (literally one of 4 sold by the only bike shop on the island that had any). So far I’ve managed to do some light trail rides and a hill ride without too much pressure. Would like to upgrade to a 26" Muni if I can convince myself to pay the ridiculous shipping fees to get it here.

Trev

Just wanted to say welcome!

Way to go, Nelvin and Trev. Keep up the good work!

hello nelvin, im tini from quezon city philippines. glad to see a filipino here in the forum. and welcome to unicycle world.

Hi Tini! Thanks for the warm welcome! I’ve been practicing a couple times a week and it’s my 3rd month now. I am happy to experience that “centered” feeling when I’m on the uni. I’m still working on my free mounting though. Gonna be there soon. :grin:

thats great. based on my experience while learning, free mounting will really took months before you can effortlessly do it.

this is my progress from learning up to now: (2013-2017, so that youll have an idea)

i started from a 16inch china-made uni. took me a total of 8 hours, 1 to 3 hrs per day, before i can finally balance and pedal on my uni

took me 2months before i can completely feel and maneuver my 16inch uni. and another 2 months to learn uni basics like free mounting, idling, hopping, forward, backward and some simple tricks for me to be able to maneuver my uni more easily.

then i bought nimbus 24inch muni. i say it took me 2 years before i can say i have my full control in it, because i gain some muscle on that two years

and lately, i bought a 36er nimbus uni. this is totally a real adjustment because again, i need to gain more muscle to be able to full control it. im only like 5feet 2inches tall so its more hardwork. took me 20min to adjust on riding forward. but it took me a month before i can finally free mount it with ease and to maneuver it better. and as for now, though i can ride it forward, backwards, and do little hopping and idling, like you, im still working to free mount effortlessly on this big wheel, like how i do on my 24inch uni.

and also, i learned the hardway, so i really appreciate people who are learning to ride a uni. because its really hard physically and mentally, but really rewarding once you learn even the simplest technique.

so, always be careful and ofcourse have fun!!! im a sport enthusiast, and to be honest, this uni addiction is lasting longer than i imagine it to be, compared to other sports and or hobbies i do.

From the North East

Hi Nelvin and Tini0531,

I am originally from Davao City. I retired in July 2017 at 65. I chose unicycling as an exercise after retirement, but first I have to learn to ride a unicycle. I was lucky that I met a couple from Florida at the Unicycle Festival in NYC in September 2017. They were the couple who gave me words of encouragement regarding unicycle. And so, I bought my first cheap unicycle. I just followed their instructions through text messages including some videos they sent me. It was a long distance unicycle lessons. Anywhere, you could seldom find somebody who could teach / practice with you. It is like a very weird hobby / sport / exercise for me.
I almost quit after hundreds, if not thousands of inevitable falls, minor scratches, and sprain. Learning to unicycle takes time so persistence, practice, and patience are required. It includes complex skills, energy, and certain amount of courage. But the fun and rewards of your accomplishments will be worth your efforts. I practiced at our local tennis court and moved to Hockey court. People who saw me during my learning process thought I was crazy. Like a madman. Anyway, after constant practice, I was able to cover few feet and then more distance gradually. Practice here is limited because of the weather. Now, I could ride a quarter mile without dismounting. My next objective is to learn how to free mount. It looks so easy but when I tried it, I found it to be very difficult. Now I enjoy my exercise which is good for the mind and body. My waistline used to be 38 inches. Now it is 32.

From the North Eastcoast

Hi Nelvin and Tini0531,

I am originally from Davao City. I retired in July 2017 at 65. I chose unicycling as an exercise after retirement, but first I have to learn to ride a unicycle. I was lucky that I met a couple from Florida at the Unicycle Festival in NYC in September 2017. They gave me words of encouragement regarding unicycle. And so, I bought my first cheap unicycle. I just followed their instructions through text messages including some videos they sent me. It was a long distance unicycle lessons. You could seldom find somebody who could teach unicycle and practice with you. It is unpopular weird hobby / sport / an exercise for me.
I almost quit after hundreds, if not thousands of inevitable falls, minor scratches, and sprain. Of course with all the safety gears, - helmet, elbow guard, shin guard and gloves. Learning to unicycle takes time, so persistence, practice, and patience are required. It includes complex skills, energy, and certain amount of courage. But the fun and rewards of your accomplishments will be worth your efforts. I practiced at our local tennis court and moved to Hockey court. People who saw me during my learning process would have thought I was crazy. Like a madman. It was a struggle hanging / holding the chain linked fence. Not so fun and painful to watch. After weeks / months of practice, I was able to cover few feet and, then more distance gradually. Practice here is limited because of the weather. Now, I could ride a quarter mile without dismounting. My next objective is to learn how to free mount. It looks so easy but when I tried it, I found it to be very difficult. Now I enjoy my exercise which is good for the mind and body. My waistline used to be 38 inches. Now it is 31.
After learning to ride a unicycle, one will have achieved a captivating means to stay active and fit, and know what is required to learn something difficult. I guaranty that one will have tons of enjoyment and fun with unicycle.

From the North East

Hi Nelvin and Tini0531,

I am originally from Davao City. I retired in July 2017 at 65. I chose unicycling as an exercise after retirement, but first I have to learn to ride a unicycle. I was lucky that I met a couple from Florida at the Unicycle Festival in NYC in September 2017. They gave me words of encouragement regarding unicycle. And so, I bought my first cheap unicycle. I just followed their instructions through text messages including some videos they sent me. It was a long distance unicycle lessons. You could seldom find somebody who could teach unicycle and practice with you. It is unpopular weird hobby / sport / an exercise for me.
I almost quit after hundreds, if not thousands of inevitable falls, minor scratches, and sprain. Of course with all the safety gears, - helmet, elbow guard, shin guard and gloves. Learning to unicycle takes time, so persistence, practice, and patience are required. It includes complex skills, energy, and certain amount of courage. But the fun and rewards of your accomplishments will be worth your efforts. I practiced at our local tennis court and later moved to Hockey court. People who saw me during my learning process would have thought I was crazy. Like a madman. It was a struggle hanging / holding the chain linked fence. Not so fun and painful to watch. After weeks / months of practice, I was able to cover few feet and, then more distance gradually. Practice here is limited because of the weather. Now, I could ride a quarter mile without dismounting. My next objective is to learn how to free mount. It looks so easy but when I tried it, I found it to be very difficult. Now I enjoy my exercise which is good for the mind and body. My waistline used to be 38 inches. Now it is 31.
After learning to ride a unicycle, one will have achieved a captivating means to stay active and fit, and know what is required to learn something difficult. I guaranty that one will have tons of enjoyment and fun with unicycle.

From the North East

I almost quit after hundreds, if not thousands of inevitable falls, minor scratches, and sprain. Of course with all the safety gears, - helmet, elbow guard, shin guard and gloves. Learning to unicycle takes time, so persistence, practice, and patience are required. It includes complex skills, energy, and certain amount of courage. But the fun and rewards of your accomplishments will be worth your efforts. I practiced at our local tennis court and later moved to Hockey court. People who saw me during my learning process would have thought I was crazy. Like a madman. It was a struggle hanging / holding the chain linked fence. Not so fun and painful to watch. After weeks / months of practice, I was able to cover few feet and, then more distance gradually. Practice here is limited because of the weather. Now, I could ride a quarter mile without dismounting. My next objective is to learn how to free mount. It looks so easy but when I tried it, I found it to be very difficult. Now I enjoy my exercise which is good for the mind and body. My waistline used to be 38 inches. Now it is 31.

38" or 31"…which size is better?

38" is great for rolling over stuff but less agile than 31".

Congratulations on your progress, mmsuni1! Welcome to the forum.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.