Help!

So I should have know something was going to go wrong once I actually started to be able to ride this thing. My Torker is making this weird sound off and on…seems to make it less often when my weight is totally on the seat. Is sorta a clicking sound when my right pedal goes down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Help!

Spin,

When I had this problem it was my pedal which needed tightening. In
particular it was the pedal that I use for mounting. I have also had
creaky spokes on my trials unicycle which needed a little grease where
they cross each other. Another possibility that I have not yet
encountered is a loose crank, which I suppose is easy to tighten.

Try the tightening the pedals first, this sound like what my uni was
doing.

Cheers,

Jason

Spin wrote:
>
> So I should have know something was going to go wrong once I actually
> started to be able to ride this thing. My Torker is making this weird
> sound off and on…seems to make it less often when my weight is totally
> on the seat. Is sorta a clicking sound when my right pedal goes down.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> –
> Spin
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Spin’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/496
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/20426

When I had this problem it was a loose crank on my Coker. I was in the middle of the LBI Unithon and I heard the clicking on my left side and after a few miles it got really loose and the crank popped off. I had gotten the uni in early April and the Unithon was in early June. I had probably not ridden it more than about 50 miles. Apparently it is not uncommon for new unis parts to need some tightening and adjustment; sounds like if you’re just getting the hang of things your Torker is newish.

Long and the short of it is, if you are not skilled in doing your own mechnical work (I am not), take it to a bike shop and have them tighten all the parts. It will save you from having things pop off at the wrong time as well as time wasted worrying. I will also note that my local bike shop here in Matawan is so enamored of my visits with my various unicycles that they often do much of the routine tightening work for free.

The good news is that odds are that even if it’s annoying the problem is minor.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Re: Re: Help!

A loose crank isn’t minor. You can permanently damage the tapers on a crank by riding with a loose crank.

Fortunately steel cranks can often handle that sort of abuse without suffering permanent damage. But aluminum cranks can’t handle that sort of abuse very well at all. Riding just a short distance with a loose aluminum crank can permanently damage the taper and make the crank unusable.

Learning how to keep the cranks tight is a basic maintenance skill that every unicyclist needs to know. All you need is a 14mm socket wrench (or a special purpose wrench from a bike shop) to keep the cranks tight.

Re: Re: Re: Help!

Thanks John. I did mean minor as in the amount of effort required to take care of the problem, not the implications. I should have been more specific.

Raphael

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:12:41 -0500, Spin
<Spin.axyvm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Is sorta a clicking sound when my right pedal goes down.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I had that problem it was a broken pedal bearing, caused by
hopping and dropping. Had to buy a new pedal (set of two, actually).

Klaas Bil

If you had this signature, I have forged it.