Help with jumoping curbs

Hi all,
I just got back from a 2 hour ride and feel pretty good. I ride for exercise as well as the thrill. I generally ride on bike paths and the streets of Brooklyn. I like distance riding. I am really not interested in tricks, however, jumping curbs would be beneficial.
I rode the NYC festival ride a few weeks ago and saw some kids jumping over obstacles and curbs while they were moving at full speed.
I never got to talk with them at the end of the ride, I would have complimented them, they were good.
Can some explain the technique of jumping while moving without a pause?

look on youtube for rolling hops

Basically ride along and as the back pedal comes up push down on your back foot as if you were going to stop but don’t lean back your momentum will lift you up as the rear pedal comes up, pull your feet up and forward along with the uni using the handle.

It comes pretty easily on the flat but the trick is to time it correctly as you have to have the rear pedal in the correct place at the correct time to jump something, so you need to roll your uni back from the thing you want to jump so you know you will be lined up or you can do a prehop or zig zag.

For curbs I just ride at them and as I get closer I know how far out I am going to be so I start to ride slightly diagonal to increase the distance I have to pedal so it al lines up.

Like I say youtube it and it will make sense more than my ramblings

Imagine riding over a small bump. You have to absorb the bump with your body, lest you get thrown from the unicycle.

Try riding over bumps that become larger and larger. Eventually, you’re climbing a small hill. You have to increase your effort, pedal with a strong downstroke, lean into the incline. You notice your speed decrease because of the change in slope; an adjustment in balance is required.

Combine the two ideas: absorbing a bump and climbing a small hill. Therein you will find the concept also known as “tractoring”. It’s not a rolling hop so much as rapid adjustment to radically varying terrain.

Riding right up curbs.

Riding up a curb uses less energy than jumping it. With bigger obstacles you must jump but curbs can easily be ridden. When I had the 165mm cranks on my KH24 I could ride up every normal size curb no mater what position my pedals were in. (About 22 cm here in Israel.) Now with the 150s I have been doing it only when the pedals are not in the dead position. (6 and 12 O’clock.)This can easily be rectified by timing the approach by riding in a small arc if you see that you are going to approach in the dead position. Off course if I am riding fast I will just jump them and don’t take the time to calculate my approach. With the KH29 it is even easier to ride right up curbs. With the KH20 I have found it impossible to ride up a normal sized curb and always jump them. It does take some practice as does everything with the unicycle. Hope this helps to give you some Idea on how to negotiate curbs.

That was going to be my question (What size is your wheel?) to the OP. Bigger wheels can ofter roll over a curb that smaller wheels would need to hop. It’s basic geometry. A math genius could explain it better than I can but it’s obvious by looking the angle of my 36er rolling up a curb versus my daughter’s 20" Club.

…except geometry isn’t the only thing in play here.

Tire pressure is a factor too. I’d guess that many trials and muni riders (on 20 and 24 in wheels) would run their tires “softer” than a road rider on a 36er.

Try rolling a curb with various tire pressures. I’d wager one would see more dramatic results by lowering tire pressure than by increasing wheel size.

Curb Jumping

Thanks for all the replys. I ride a 29" Nimbus Road. I never tried to ride up the curb. I guess you would need to pull up on the seat as your rolling up the curb. Is that correct? I looked at the rolling jumps on YouTube. They are helpful. All suggestions are appreciated.

Jumping Curbs

I forgot to mention that I have 125mm cranks.

Tire Pressure and Crank Lenth

With longer cranks it is easier to ride up curbs.

Tire pressure makes a huge difference but you have to be careful!

Softer tires tend to absorb and soften the bump when riding up curbs but with softer tires it is harder riding on asphalt and you have a high chance of getting a snakebite from the impact with the edge of the curb!

Fixed :sunglasses:

Yeah softer sidewalls seem to be more bouncy and stiffer sidewalled tires more damp.